Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 40 year old v's a 21 year old =

Shane Mosley v's Saul Alvarez confirmed for 5th May....crappy at best!!!

On the under card of Cotto v Mayweather

Job biscuit (Sad)!!!!

eh eh!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 40 year old v's a 21 year old =

It's actually a pretty decent matchup imo.

It will be interesting to see how Alvarez fares against Shane, certainly it's our best chance so far to gauge how good he is compared to the world elite.

We saw that Floyd and Manny handled Shane with ease so how Alvarez gets on will allow us to see how developed a fighter he is.

Certainly it's a massive step up for Alvarez following fights with the likes of Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes and Alfonso Gomez.

Mosley is a future hall of famer and a big step up in competition.

At this stage of his career I don't expect him to have enough to beat Alvarez but it will be interesting early. Alvarez is very easy to hit, and Shane could be dangerous in those early rounds.

I expect Saul to walk through his shots like a tank however and grind Shane down for a decision win.

But it's no joke fight. Canelo is still only a kid and a name like Shane on his resume will be a decent win, even if he is old and past his best.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    It's actually a pretty decent matchup imo.

It will be interesting to see how Alvarez fares against Shane, certainly it's our best chance so far to gauge how good he is compared to the world elite.

We saw that Floyd and Manny handled Shane with ease so how Alvarez gets on will allow us to see how developed a fighter he is.

Certainly it's a massive step up for Alvarez following fights with the likes of Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes and Alfonso Gomez.

Mosley is a future hall of famer and a big step up in competition.

At this stage of his career I don't expect him to have enough to beat Alvarez but it will be interesting early. Alvarez is very easy to hit, and Shane could be dangerous in those early rounds.

I expect Saul to walk through his shots like a tank however and grind Shane down for a decision win.

But it's no joke fight. Canelo is still only a kid and a name like Shane on his resume will be a decent win, even if he is old and past his best.
    I mostly agree with this except that I think you're underrating the possibility that Shane is just 100% shot at this point and actually not a step up. But at this point I still doubt that Shane has deteriorated to the point that he's as bad as Alphonso Gomez or a latter-day Kermit Cintron yet. Not beyond the realm of possibility though.

And these are big names for an undercard in any case. Hopefully they're not letting Canelo pull another bitch move and this fight is actually at the MGM Grand with the rest of the card.

(This is also adds to the unfortunate likelihood that Floyd fights Canelo next instead of Martinez or Pacquiao.)
    Last edited by shza; 02-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he may well be shot. But people said that about Eric Morales and have been saying it about Bernard Hopkins for years too. Also Tarver was supposed to be nothing after losing to Hopkins.

They have all come back to put on some great performances.

Nobody yet knows how Shane will perform but he's given enough service to the sport down the years to merit the shot.

I think he's the ideal opponent for Canelo at this stage of his career.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a decent fight for both, Shane to show he's not shot, while earning one more decent payday just in case.

Alvarez to get a big name on his record and good exposure on the undercard of a massive fight.

I think Alvarez just walks through him, safe opening few rounds, possibly a late stoppage.

Get ready for lots of Shane hugging and glove touching!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a good undercard fight. Shane needs to lose all respect for the kid once the bell goes. This is a good fight because it has the potential to answer 2 questions about the fighters and where they are in their respective careers. I'm interested.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will be supporting the 40 year old, beat that little puppy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So, they couldn't even get a live body, huh? This is a sad fight. Shane is 100% shot. Don't kid yourselves. It's Cintron all over again. They're coddling Canelo. How did Shane deserve this fight after his poor showing against Pacquiao? Do you remember booing that fight? That was at 147 and now Shane is older. Even if Shane isn't shot, which he is, he isn't a top ten junior middleweight like Alvarez and like Delvin.

Booo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    So, they couldn't even get a live body, huh? This is a sad fight. Shane is 100% shot. Don't kid yourselves. It's Cintron all over again. They're coddling Canelo. How did Shane deserve this fight after his poor showing against Pacquiao? Do you remember booing that fight? That was at 147 and now Shane is older. Even if Shane isn't shot, which he is, he isn't a top ten junior middleweight like Alvarez and like Delvin.

Booo.
    Well technically this fight being at 154 will be more helpful for Shane than struggling to make 147.

Plus losing two wide UD's to unquestionably the two best fighters on the planet doesn't mean he's going to lose to everyone else. Few fighters have given more to boxing in terms of heart and commitment than Shane Mosley down the years.

I can't believe the hostility he gets just because he was no longer good enough to hang with the p4p number 1 & 2 fighters.

It's an interesting matchup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane had a pretty bad injury going into the Pacquiao fight as he was recovering from a torn ACL which caused him to compensate on the other leg which caused a worse blister to pop which he could barely stand on, which is why he was contimplating stopping the fight with Richardson. It really is a wonder he was able to stand all 12 rounds let alone use his legs. After that he hinted at retiring on Lopez Tonight.

So if Shane comes into this fight at 100 percent he should do better than people think he will but at this point if he hasn't blasted out Alvarez early it will be a long night decision win for Canelo.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    With ya on that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think about it.

Canelo doesn't have the best defense, and he isn't the quickest, so Shane's going to see opportunities to throw punches, and he's going to take them. Plus Canelo is going to make things a very good scrap.

We might see another Morales vs. Maidana type fight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Booo.
    Well technically this fight being at 154 will be more helpful for Shane than struggling to make 147.

Plus losing two wide UD's to unquestionably the two best fighters on the planet doesn't mean he's going to lose to everyone else. Few fighters have given more to boxing in terms of heart and commitment than Shane Mosley down the years.

I can't believe the hostility he gets just because he was no longer good enough to hang with the p4p number 1 & 2 fighters.

It's an interesting matchup.
    +1 exactly.

This fight asks questions of both fighters and that makes it an interesting one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane needs to start juicing again so he can look like the shane that fought oscar.
    Nah, good luck to shane but his touch gloves and hugging style pissed me off and i hope canelo knocks him out in the 10th rd.
    Rip vernon forrest.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NuthaPug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    With ya on that.
    Us 40 year old must tick together, little youngsters are starting to take over the sport and leaving us behind.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information