Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins vs Kovalev - who wins?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins vs Kovalev - who wins?

Who you guys got in this fight? I'm struggling to pick a winner. I've always sided with Kovalev on points but now fight week is here I'm begining to question it

If Hopkins wins you can make a case for him being the best of the modern era. If kovalev does something nobody else has ever done and knocks out Hopkins he will become an instant star

So how's it gonna unfold? ......

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins vs Kovalev - who wins?

If Hopkins wins its almost certainly going to be a stinker of a fight. If Kovalev wins I think Hop is getting stopped.

I cant see Kovalev letting it become a snoozer, I cant see Hopkins getting stopped either. In conclusion.....

The two scenarios I see playing out are both as unlikely as one another.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unless Kovalev goes full on Neanderthal under the big lights, the event and mentally implodes then I think we see a changing of the guard. I just don't see Hop getting away with trying to stink this last fight out. I think he's punched his last time clock. Oh I know people have been saying that since Tito but this is different. Fitting though cause he started as a light heavyweight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Bernard will win on points. Kov isn't busy or fast enough, fights in straight lines and is predictable. Hop will start out tentative and as the fight progresses he will take over to win a decision. Kov has that big punch and is used to fighting scared guys who aren't elite. Hop lives for guys like that, still has his chin n tight defense n likes to fight at a predictable, measured pace. Hop by decision.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Unless Kovalev goes full on Neanderthal under the big lights, the event and mentally implodes then I think we see a changing of the guard. I just don't see Hop getting away with trying to stink this last fight out. I think he's punched his last time clock. Oh I know people have been saying that since Tito but this is different. Fitting though cause he started as a light heavyweight.
    My Son feels Hopkins will old man him, on points I think Kovalev may well spark him, I can't stand
    him Be HOP just does nothing for me in his fighting style.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony bellew picks hopkins and Nathan picks Kovalev.

I'm saying Kovalev on points which seems against the grain as logic says its Hopkins points or Kov Ko. The reason I think Kovalev takes a distance fight is because Hopkins is too good to get sparked. Pascal hit him with some big shots in both fights and Hopkins proved his chin. He was dropped twice though and I think it's those same surprise shots he doesn't see that will cost him against Kov. I don't think Kovalev finishes him off though. He will win the rounds on activity & aggression but its so hard to nail the old man clean.

I can see Hopkins begin to frustrate Kov late on but it will be too late to rescue it. The weigh in will be fascinating cuz Hopkins always starts the mind games but how do you intimidate a russian beast like Kovalev. Nathan tried that and look what happend. Winner of this vs Adonis Stevenson next time. Another great fight

El Kabong Guest

Kovalev hurts and finishes BHop as the ref is forced to step in late in the fight 9-10th round.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

I'm saying Kovalev on points which seems against the grain as logic says its Hopkins points or Kov Ko. The reason I think Kovalev takes a distance fight is because Hopkins is too good to get sparked. Pascal hit him with some big shots in both fights and Hopkins proved his chin. He was dropped twice though and I think it's those same surprise shots he doesn't see that will cost him against Kov. I don't think Kovalev finishes him off though. He will win the rounds on activity & aggression but its so hard to nail the old man clean.

I can see Hopkins begin to frustrate Kov late on but it will be too late to rescue it. The weigh in will be fascinating cuz Hopkins always starts the mind games but how do you intimidate a russian beast like Kovalev. Nathan tried that and look what happend. Winner of this vs Adonis Stevenson next time. Another great fight
    I can see your point on the Pascal scenario, but I just feel that Pascal was VERY athletic and fast (always referred to as a lesser version/poor man's Roy Jones Jr.) and Kov is very methodical. I don't see Hop being surprised or caught with similar shots, but I may be wrong. DEFINITELY NOT saying that you are completely wrong and that there is no way your are right, just more talking it out with someone of a different opinion. The factors that push it over for Hop in my opinion are:
    1) Style match up
    2) Kov hasn't ever fought anyone close to Hop and has fought less than elite opposition
    3) If you watch Kov's fights, when he corners the other fighter and is setting up his big punch, he tends to react to feints significantly and hold his hands in anticipation of the counter. I can see Hop using lateral movement and then feinting and potshotting his way out of corners/areas of danger.

Anyways, guess we will find out this Saturday. Think it is a GREAT fight and that whoever wins beats Stevenson easier, if Adonis even gets in the ring with them.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Hopkins wins points. Amazing the old man is going against a monster puncher like this.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who's the ref? I think that'll be key to who wins. If the ref allows Hopkins to hold, he wins. If not, he could be in trouble. Kovalev has the power to KO any LHW in the World, let alone a guy who's nearly 50! Props to Hopkins for even taking the fight.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I think Bernard will win on points. Kov isn't busy or fast enough, fights in straight lines and is predictable. Hop will start out tentative and as the fight progresses he will take over to win a decision. Kov has that big punch and is used to fighting scared guys who aren't elite. Hop lives for guys like that, still has his chin n tight defense n likes to fight at a predictable, measured pace. Hop by decision.
    I tend to agree with @mikeeod - we haven't seen Hopkins lose to this style of fighter ever. In recent times, we've seen him have difficulty with faster guys (Taylor, Calzaghe & Dawson) or unorthodox guys (Pascal) but never with come-forward, offensive big punchers (Cloud & Pavlik).

Here's the only thing that's making me think twice because otherwise I'd bet the house on Hopkins. Hopkins struggled a bit with Murat. Yes, he won the fight convincingly, but as Doug Fischer said in his mail bag this week, after six rounds all three ring-side observers had the fight even. Regardless of how you scored it though, there were moments where Murat got the better of him. Murat was stopped by Cleverly. Hopkins also been dropped a few times over the last couple of years, which is bound to happen, when you're facing the best of the best, of course, but it makes you think, because none of the guys who put him down punch as hard as Kovalev.

At the end of the day, I still go with Hopkins. I think he studied Kovalev and knew what he was doing when he decided to face him. I like Hopkins by disputed decision.

Credit to both guys though for taking the fight. I'd have favored both over Stevenson and yet they decided to fight each other rather than Stevenson. Even though Stevenson holds the lineal belt, this is the best versus the best at 175.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

This.

Hopkins will do whatever it takes to survive, and he won't risk a KO by fighting clean.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Head goes with Hopkins but god damn would I love to see that idiot get starched by Kovalev.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sticking by my thought of 3 months ago Default Re: Sergey Kovalev vs. Bernard Hopkins: who wins?

I won't root against Hopkins and have been a fan since he was the snaggle tooth hooded assassin trying to behead people on USA and BET. But I think Kovalev is a dangerous mix of savvy power boxing and unshakable confidence that he has not faced in a very very long time. On physicality alone Hopkins will feel every bit 50 yrs old on heavy legs when he tries the inside wrestling and spinning out for one sniper right hand. Way too much is being pumped up about blasting out and raw power and frankly Kathy Duva needs to stfu. Kovalev doesn't need that false confidence garbage or to short change himself on boxing ability. Power isn't a thing unless you can deliver and set up against a mobile and multi geared guy. Kovalev does these subtle adjustments himself, half steps off double jabs to head-body and never neglects straight punches to the body. He doesn't need or want to load up or frankly aim for the head..just natural sapping type punch and flow to the body, chest and move a guy into position for capper. This isn't a one dimensional Cloud or a self doubting and reluctant Shumenov and equally Kovalev has never been in with the experience and battle plan round table of a boxing mind that is Hopkins, but at the end of the day and Hell freezing over I think Kovalev has what it takes to naturally wear him down with a harsh accumulative effect and capitalize in the exchange Hopkins will be forced into to survive and score a tko over a legend. I hate saying it, but I do believe it.

Thread Information