Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sturm targets Abraham!

WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm's exciting KO win over Jamie Pittman has inspired talk of world title unification showdowns between Sturm and IBF middleweight champion (and fellow German) Arthur Abraham, as well as WBC/WBO champ Kelly Pavlik. "We're ready. We want the fight with Abraham," stated Universum Box-Promotion chief Klaus-Peter Kohl. "Pavlik is even more interesting because he has two belts." For his part, Sturm said he would dominate Abraham if they should ever meet in the ring. "If we box 24 rounds, I would win 24 rounds," commented Sturm. "I would always outbox him and always win....he has only one quality and that is to hit hard." Before that highly attractive match could take place, Sturm has a mandatory due against the winner of next week's eliminator between Javier Castillejo and Sebastian Sylvester, as well as a possible rematch with Randy Griffin. Abraham has his American debut lined up for June 21, and a mandatory due against Giovanni Lorenzo.

source: fightnews.com

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sturm targets Abraham!

About time, did they know they both lived in the same country, why was there not a demand for this before?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent, I always thought they should fight!
    The winer will be in an extremely strong position for bargaining with Pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well thats good to hear. the winner (abraham) could go on to fight pavlik

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Sturm really wants big fights, good for him, I've been critical of him (who hasn't?) but this is an interesting fight and like somebody else said its almost shocking there hasn't been more talks about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    If Sturm really wants big fights, good for him, I've been critical of him (who hasn't?) but this is an interesting fight and like somebody else said its almost shocking there hasn't been more talks about it.
    True.
    One can't but fantasise at the potential of an Undisputed Middleweight Championship once again!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    True.
    One can't but fantasise at the potential of an Undisputed Middleweight Championship once again!
    Pavlik is the undisputed middleweight champion. He beat Taylor, who beat Hopkins, for all the belts. Who cares what the sanctioning bodies decided to do with them afterwards... What did they strip Taylor for fighting Hopkins again, or was it for taking on that bum Winky Wright, clearly neither of them were any good, why should Taylor have kept the belts Somehow the WBA and IBF belts were made vacant and won by Abraham against Kingsley Ikeke, and Masalino Masoe over Evans Ashira. You tell me that isn't a pile of garbage.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are right I keep get taken in by these paper titles! Pavlik is the real champ, the rest are contenders/pretenders and until they beat him they cannot claim to be anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Sturm targets Abraham!

I will have to agree with P4Pking. WHO cares now about a unification. I believe its great for Strum. I feel that Pavlik will try to take aim at Calzaghe after he fights Lockett(assuming he wins..hahaha) Especially if Pavlik dose it violently like he did to Zertuche or Miranda that might light a fire under Enzo Calzaghe's ass in return should get Joe interested. Lockett has already said Calzaghe would kill Pavlik. I don't see super joe droppingPavlik let alone Pavlik
    Hopkins. They are two very busy fighters and Callzaghe has great little flurry's to the body and head. It would be a great fight and probably a harder fight than Hopkins since Hopkins is more defensive minded and doesn't pack the power that Pavlik has. April and May will be great. With Cotto and Gomez which I feel is going to be a great fight. Gomez is bigger and is used to 154,160 power. He also is a great counter puncher and really works off of his jab and he isnt afriad to stand in and trade. Then Hopkins and Clazaghe which I feel will also be a great fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    True.
    Pavlik is the undisputed middleweight champion. He beat Taylor, who beat Hopkins, for all the belts. Who cares what the sanctioning bodies decided to do with them afterwards... What did they strip Taylor for fighting Hopkins again, or was it for taking on that bum Winky Wright, clearly neither of them were any good, why should Taylor have kept the belts Somehow the WBA and IBF belts were made vacant and won by Abraham against Kingsley Ikeke, and Masalino Masoe over Evans Ashira. You tell me that isn't a pile of garbage.
    That would make Pavlik unified and linear champion.

However as long as the alphabet organisations exist the boxing public will be split. When various versions of the world title exist, withiut the holders facing off against one another, there will always be doubt as to who the true number 1 is.
    In the eyes of this section of the boxing world, sure Pavlik is the champion.
    But there are volume of people on mainland Europe, who see Abraham and Sturm fighting locally and hear nothing of Pavlik.

Until all the belts are held, a fighter is not the "world" champion as some will always acknowledge their home or favourite fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First, Abraham has to win his June 21 debut fight in America. And from what I am hearing, it may be a very very tough fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abraham v. Lorenzo is a test of power, so don't look past Giovanni.

I think this fight would be a huge draw in the US, but of course it will be done in Germany. Where would they hold an event as large as this

Congrats to Sturm for the call out! At least he is acting like he wants to make some moves in the division. And after BEATING DLH (I don't care what the judges said...), he deserves some type of big money fight.

Thread Information