Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto is not a MW Champ

He's not even a MW fighter.

I think the criteria should be crystal clear. To be considered the MW champ, or even a MW fighter, you should have to fight AT LEAST ONCE AT MIDDLEWEIGHT, not some lame catch weight. SRR didn't fight Jake Lamotta at 157 or 159.

Cotto is a great fighter but lets be honest, he saw an old, injury-riddled champ that was at the absolute end of his rope and ripe for the picking. That's Freddie's specialty (as he did with Pac/DLH).

As fans we need to tell these prima-donna sissies (Floyd, Pac, Cotto, ect) that catch weights are for fruits and we'll have none of it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto is not a MW Champ

Oh, and I'd say that I look forward to Cotto getting a wake up call from the true MW champ, GGG, but there is no way in hell Cotto would take a GGG fight. I'm putting that on the record now, there's NO WAY Cotto will fight GGG. NEVER.

El Kabong Guest

Regardless this sets up Cotto-Mayweather II pretty nicely

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Oh, and I'd say that I look forward to Cotto getting a wake up call from the true MW champ, GGG, but there is no way in hell Cotto would take a GGG fight. I'm putting that on the record now, there's NO WAY Cotto will fight GGG. NEVER.
    Pacquiao was never Jr. Middleweight champion, Leonard was never Lt Hvy champ, so only champ in 4 divisions, and no, GGG wasn't the lineal middleweight champion so he isn't the Middleweight champion cause well pretty black and white he never fought for the REAL championship that well the likes of Lamotta and Robinson held, GGG is fighting Geale and probably moving up afterwards, Canelo has to get by Lara for a fight with Cotto and Mayweather is probably rematching Maidana, don't get the hullabaloo, people were still writing off Cotto leading up to the fight and he dominates yet now he was picking up the pieces, 4 division champion and the LINEAL MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP OF THE WORLD, deal with it

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bottom line is that Cotto beat the legit, lineal MW champ so that makes him champ. That doesn't mean that I feel that he is the best in the division, but he is the legitimate champ until someone beats him or he officially says he is moving back down. I would bet against him vs. many in the top 5 such as Quillin and GGG, but I would have bet on Sergio last night and lost money so that doesn't mean much obviously. Last night was a historical night and Cotto should be congratulated for stepping up and accomplishing what he did. We also should keep things in perspective and realize the reality and limitations of the Sergio he fought last night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be The Man, WOOO, you gotta beat The Man!

At Middleweight, Sergio Martinez was The-Man-Who-Beat-The-Man, so now Cotto is The-Man-Who-Beat-The-Man.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's not even a MW fighter.

I think the criteria should be crystal clear. To be considered the MW champ, or even a MW fighter, you should have to fight AT LEAST ONCE AT MIDDLEWEIGHT, not some lame catch weight. SRR didn't fight Jake Lamotta at 157 or 159.

Cotto is a great fighter but lets be honest, he saw an old, injury-riddled champ that was at the absolute end of his rope and ripe for the picking. That's Freddie's specialty (as he did with Pac/DLH).

As fans we need to tell these prima-donna sissies (Floyd, Pac, Cotto, ect) that catch weights are for fruits and we'll have none of it.
    Sergio got his sissy ass kicked by a career WW/JrWW

Feal the burn,hater.

He's done more than GG in his first fight at MW.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Regardless this sets up Cotto-Mayweather II pretty nicely
    Can't see it myself, Cotto's win over Martinez was nothing special. Martinez without legs is a setting duck. He'll get another big payday out of it but I don't think Floyd should be the payday.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is the middleweight champion, he took the risk of being brutalised by Sergio when others did not. I bet the others are regretting that now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Cotto is the middleweight champion, he took the risk of being brutalised by Sergio when others did not. I bet the others are regretting that now.
    That is not strictly true. I am sure there was a pretty long line of middleweights willing to fight Martinez but Sergio chose to fight Cotto. Murray would certainly have rematched Martinez, Golovkin would have loved the chance to fight Martinez, Geale would have fought Martinez but Cotto brought the Dollar, and Martinez fought him.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Belts don't mean jack shit anymore, it's been so watered down with alphabet soup belts that it means nothing, all it is is another sanctioning fee the fighter has to pay.

Anyone that recognizes Cotto as the #1 MW in the world is dumb as a bag of shit.

To date, he hasn't fought at MW yet!

Just shows how stupid the sport has become, a guy can be the #1 in the world at a division that he's never fought in!

Ya'll can drink the kool aid but not me, GGG is the #1 now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Belts don't mean jack shit anymore, it's been so watered down with alphabet soup belts that it means nothing, all it is is another sanctioning fee the fighter has to pay.

Anyone that recognizes Cotto as the #1 MW in the world is dumb as a bag of shit.

To date, he hasn't fought at MW yet!

Just shows how stupid the sport has become, a guy can be the #1 in the world at a division that he's never fought in!

Ya'll can drink the kool aid but not me, GGG is the #1 now.
    GG is HBO kool aid.....and you're filled to the brim with it.

You can't say about how Cotto got his title while jocking golovkin.

GG got his VACANT wba trinkett by beating the washed-up bones of 154lb Ouma.

At least Cotto TOOK his title from a Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    That is not strictly true. I am sure there was a pretty long line of middleweights willing to fight Martinez but Sergio chose to fight Cotto. Murray would certainly have rematched Martinez, Golovkin would have loved the chance to fight Martinez, Geale would have fought Martinez but Cotto brought the Dollar, and Martinez fought him.
    True but Murray had his chance and did not take it, Geale lost his title to Barker, GGG is beating the rest.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I hate to see it and woke up wishing it was a bad trip, Martinez was the Champion and respected...by most, but clearly not all ...and was beat soundly by Cotto. Had Alvarez, Mayweather, Golovkin, come in and dusted him they would merit and more easily receive the respect of doing so,

The man got beat. Cotto beat the man and himself was just talking retirement and off beatings a fight removed. Cotto deserves respect and people need to just get over it.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    True but Murray had his chance and did not take it, Geale lost his title to Barker, GGG is beating the rest.
    Yes I know what you mean and I am not saying that Cotto did not take his chance as any fighter would, but there are quite a few middleweights who have fought most of their career at that weight, who would have given anything to have the opportunity to fight the man (Sergio)at middle. It's not Cottos fault but for them and us as fans it sucks.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information