Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default JT to dump Manny????

It was reported by Tim Smith in his NY Daily News column that there is a strong possibility that WBC/WBO middleweight champion Jermain Taylor will dump trainer Emanuel Steward.

Steward was very vocal during and after Taylor's bout with Spinks, regarding the selection of Spinks as the opponent. It was said by Steward that he never wanted Taylor to be in that fight because Spinks makes fighters look bad. He would have much rather had Taylor fight Edison Miranda, who was knocked out on the undercard by Kelly Pavlik.

Those close to the situation told Smith that it was shocking to hear Steward being critical of Taylor's opponent, when he was the one who picked Spinks. A claim that Steward denies.

"You must be kidding me. No way. I would have never, never, ever put him in against Cory Spinks. Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard and even Ray Robinson wouldn't have looked good against Spinks," Steward said.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: JT to dump Manny????

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    It was reported by Tim Smith in his NY Daily News column that there is a strong possibility that WBC/WBO middleweight champion Jermain Taylor will dump trainer Emanuel Steward.

Steward was very vocal during and after Taylor's bout with Spinks, regarding the selection of Spinks as the opponent. It was said by Steward that he never wanted Taylor to be in that fight because Spinks makes fighters look bad. He would have much rather had Taylor fight Edison Miranda, who was knocked out on the undercard by Kelly Pavlik.

Those close to the situation told Smith that it was shocking to hear Steward being critical of Taylor's opponent, when he was the one who picked Spinks. A claim that Steward denies.

"You must be kidding me. No way. I would have never, never, ever put him in against Cory Spinks. Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard and even Ray Robinson wouldn't have looked good against Spinks," Steward said.
    Steward is dreaming. If Zab Judah could have his greatest ever performance against Spinks then Hearns, Leonard and Ray Robinson would have laid his ass out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This wouldn't supprise me. I see no chemestry in that corner right now. The way Manny was screaming at his fighter and JT seemed not to trust him. I thought Steward might decide to quit when I looked at that fight. If a fighter doesn't trust you or listen to you, why bother.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess.... But it seemed like the problem was clearly JT--not Manny. Manny was saying all the right things and JT just wasn't doing them (or even trying to). I don't know why it would be different with anyone else, unless JT just doesn't trust Manny (but he should trust him, since Manny was telling him exactly the right stuff).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    I guess.... But it seemed like the problem was clearly JT--not Manny. Manny was saying all the right things and JT just wasn't doing them (or even trying to). I don't know why it would be different with anyone else, unless JT just doesn't trust Manny (but he should trust him, since Manny was telling him exactly the right stuff).
    I agree... Just cuz you say "yes sir" and "no sir" it doesn't mean that you're listening(or that you'll be able to deliver)
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So is JT trying to fool someone by using Steward as a scape goat?

Steward gave him the EXACT plan to use to beat Spinks, JT chose
    to wait for something in the ring, not sure what though.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    So is JT trying to fool someone by using Steward as a scape goat?

Steward gave him the EXACT plan to use to beat Spinks, JT chose
    to wait for something in the ring, not sure what though.
    For a magical fairy to fly down from the rafters with a sledge hammer and mash Spinks.... The fairy was 3 hours late(got caught in traffic)
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is also a lot more to a trainer then the advice he gives in the corner. Taylor isn't really green anymore, you can chalk that up to Steward. But he has become a different more robotic fighter, and that is a staple of Steward. As athletic as he is, he's better served to go to Burns imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent points guys. JT IS just trying to use Steward as a scapegoat. Regardless of what anyone thinks,Steward is a good trainer and he was giving JT the right advice,JT did not heed it. They are working on plenty of things together in sparring and Steward has belief in JT implementing them,if he doesnt thats JT's own fault. JT just seems to be showing a lack of drive. May be too much $$$? Coupled with 2 fairly easy(on paper) opponents? He needs to fight JC or Kelly,I think that will bring the fighting spirit out of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Steward is dreaming. If Zab Judah could have his greatest ever performance against Spinks then Hearns, Leonard and Ray Robinson would have laid his a** out.
    Judah was a southpaw too, so the difficulty of fighting a southpaw was gone.

ICB Guest

jeez Manny maybe you should be politician because you are one of the biggest bullshitters ever

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i always thought j.t never really responded to manny, i knew it was a bad move when manny became j.ts trainer.

El Kabong Guest

If anyone is getting dropped it's Jermain, I was thoroughly dissapointed in his fight vs Spinks.

Manny Steward is a proven trainer with PLENTY of experience and he is an understudy of Eddie Futch.....so if anyone fucked up it's Jermain! I never berated Manny when Wlad lost to Brewster and Sanders.....it was Wlad's fault.

I'm not saying Manny can't make mistakes but since he's been training so long it's more likely the fighter and not Manny will make the mistakes.

Manny should focus on Andy Lee, hell give him 2 years and he'll KO half the guys Jermain has fought!

Thread Information