Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Blocking body shots

Had a really good session on defense tonight.

Concentrated first on slipping and ducking, then we moved to parrying and blocking - all dealing with head shots.

Then we worked on using the elbows to deflect body shots which worked a treat - but we only dealt with straight shots before running out of time.

The elbow is brought in to defend against the straights, is it simply slid out to defend against the hook?

The left hook to the liver around the back of an elbow guard is one of the most painful punches in boxing (check out Castillo's last fight ), so am I to conclude that old Jose should have been more alert to sliding that elbow back?

Also, while I'm on defense, it was a treat to watch Winky cover up against Hopkins on Sunday... Those gloves high, elbows in - very tough defense to get through... What amazed me was the speed with which he could move from an attacking position to that turtle defensive posture. Guess that's why he hadn't been beaten in 7 years. And before anyone asks, no I didn't score the fight for Winky - just thought his defense against the bigger man was impressive.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Blocking body shots

One way you can try but you need a partner. Get the partner to get 2 towels and put knots in the ends of both then holding them in either hand get him to try and hit you with the knots good fun teaches you the principle without the pain take it in turns
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    One way you can try but you need a partner. Get the partner to get 2 towels and put knots in the ends of both then holding them in either hand get him to try and hit you with the knots good fun teaches you the principle without the pain take it in turns
    good idea scrap .. cc

also you can put the gloves half on , as to where the fist is not fully inserted, just slap the gloves out there to the body of your sparring mate. same principle as the towel only with gloves.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats true trying to save the gloves he mite not be rich cc

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    I always prefer methods which can end in pain if you fail, it keeps the trainee motivated not to fail. I think thats best, the towels should only be used when a trainee has taken too much punishment IMO.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe in counterpunching, and this is also the best way to avoid getting hit in the body.
    Turn your body. He throws a left hook the body, the counter is a right uppercut. Do you see what I am getting at?
    Look, I've been drinking tonight....Tomorrow I can explain this more fully.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We dont want you coming on here pissed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont know that the right uppercut is a good counter to the left hook to the body. his body is turning away from the right hand but turning into the left hook instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    i dont know that the right uppercut is a good counter to the left hook to the body. his body is turning away from the right hand but turning into the left hook instead.
    But if you throw your right uppercut to the body inside of his left hook, your arm should be able to do two jobs at the same time; blocking their left hook while hitting them in the body. Then as your opponent shifts to to throw a right, you throw a left uppercut inside of his blow to the body, and when they drop their guard you can shift the attack to their head. This is why it's useful to control the centerline/inside position, you'd be shifting with your opponent blocking their punches and hitting them at the same time. I'm not sure how you'd pull this off with a southpaw, I suppose it's possible if you assume a southpaw stance yourself.

I'm not entirely sure here, but this is the best that I can come up with right now.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thinking about that I wonder how you'd stop an opponent who has the inside position and is doing all the things that I just mentioned. What the books says is to place your palms against both of his shoulders and to push forward slightly. Then slide your right hand over to their left shoulder forcing him to the right, while pushing forward with the left hand. This would be used to push them off balance.

You could also use the stance that Mayweather and Toney uses to block shots to your body and head at the same time. You don't want to square up, you want to keep an angle that allows you to move more easily slip punches, using your left forearm to protect your body, your shoulder working with your slipping motion, and using your right hand up high to block any left hooks. You still have to keep an angle to your opponent so you won't get caught on the ropes and to allow you to keep some distance.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The left hook has always been my greatest enemy in boxing. I've never worried about right hands and it only takes opponents so long to realize why. They start to like the left hook as soon as they do. So my big thing is setting up counters to the left hook. Anyway its true what you say about being able to stick the body with a right uppercut and also blocking the left hook to the body.

what makes it tricky is that its hard to tell the difference between left hooks to the body from left hooks to the head. Some opponents make it very obvious but usually the tip off for either punch looks the same when they start it. What I mean is that youre gambling if youre waiting to counter what you think is a left hook to the body with an uppercut because you expose your head to a left hook in doing this. I've never been that brave personally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You bring up a good subject Thomas. Have you ever heard of hybrid punches? Say for instance it looks like your opponent is throwing a left hook to the body and before you know it he twists his hand and Bam! you get nailed with an uppercut. It can be pretty tricky especially if they are trying to make you expect a left hook. You mix this with feinting and you could very well be playing right into their hands.

Another thing about left hooks is that it can be be thrown in different ways just by changing the path that your fist travels. That being said there's more kinds of hooks the typical hook that is being taught in gyms.

I've been letting myself stay up too long into the night, my eyes are starting to get a little blurry. I'll pick this up tomorrow.

Thread Information