Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    How about you naysayers answer one of my questions!!!!!

Who has accomplished more in the sport of boxing than Floyd?

@ fan johnny @Rantcatrat @mikeeod
    What does it prove? It's an entirely different point and off topic.

Why do you consider me a naysayer? Have I ever said Floyd Mayweather isn't a great? Did I ever say he wasn't a great boxer? Whether Floyd makes more money than anyone in boxing's history though isn't important to me. The only difference between you and I is that I could care less about his business decisions whereas you drool over his money and admire his brand. I want to see good fights. I want to see challenging fights. Fights that are close on paper. I'm a boxing fan.
    We are all boxing fans.

What fight do you want? (Lets not talk about pac)

No one will ever be happy with his choice as they dont see past the character he plays..

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

Why did you caveat the question? I'll ask it again. Who are Floyd's toughest fights within a weight class (from 160-140)?

To your suggested opponents, are you really excited about those fights? Why? He's already faced Miguel Cotto. Why do we want to see that again? Same goes for Canelo. Shawn Porter is coming off a loss against Kell Brook. I'm not sure why Floyd Mayweather would have any problem with him. Danny Garcia is fighting at the weight class below him and didn't look good in his last real fight against Herrera. Until he has a fight or two at 147 against solid opposition, why would that be a tough fight for Floyd? It would the exceptional case for Floyd to be challenged by a guy coming up in weight. Lara is coming off a loss against Canelo, whom Floyd beat. It's not a horrible idea but not a great one. Why is that a good fight to you?

For the sake of argument, although you didn't mention them, Demetrius Andrade (at 154) and Keith Thurman (at 147) aren't bad fights for Floyd at his weight class. Thurman hasn't done much at 147 yet but the pickings are slim for Floyd at that weight class. Floyd has cleaned it out for the most part.

Other than the two I mentioned, none of the fights you suggested seem like fights where Floyd would be challenged and certainly none of them would be as challenging as a fight with GGG. Moreover, what can Floyd show in those fights that he hasn't already shown before? What's new about them? Why are they captivating?
    Why did I caveat the question? Because Floyd is only going to fight within his weight class you moron! Why don't you donkeys understand that!! If weight didn't matter to Floyd, he'd fight Klitchko for $200 million. I guarantee they'd make so much money off that fight and it would be the BIGGEST CHALLENGE for him. Or wait maybe a bigger challenge would be BOTH Klitchkos at the same time.

Part of being really good at the lower weights is knowing where your limits are. As talented as Floyd is, he is putting himself at too much of a disadvantage at the age of 38 to fight someone so much bigger and heavier. 160 is not within his weight class. He's not going to fight a guy that is going to finish his career at light heavyweight or cruiserweight. It's a health risk. Why can't you understand that this is more than just a big dick contest for someone at Floyd's level?

Floyd doesn't need to show things that he hasn't shown before. He doesn't need to prove anything to you. Does that hurt your feelings...? The fact that Floyd could give a crap about what you think. HAHA...

What is GGG proving by fighting Rubio? What new things did he show us against Geale? How compelling was his fight against unranked Ishida? If fighters need to be challenging himself all the time then GGG does too. Since you argue that it's an issue that Garcia would be moving up in weight, then why would it be acceptable for GGG to fight Floyd who would be moving up? DO you even think before you post?

Armstrong fought the same guy 8 times in 2 years but you think Floyd shouldn't rematch Cotto? Cotto gave him one of his toughest fights! Give me a break!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Muhammid Ali has accomplished more by being a global icon and transcending the sport, whereas a Jamaican lady does not know who Floyd is.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do you consider me a naysayer? Have I ever said Floyd Mayweather isn't a great? Did I ever say he wasn't a great boxer? Whether Floyd makes more money than anyone in boxing's history though isn't important to me. The only difference between you and I is that I could care less about his business decisions whereas you drool over his money and admire his brand. I want to see good fights. I want to see challenging fights. Fights that are close on paper. I'm a boxing fan.
    No! This is the very point of my argument. I've been saying it from the start you've just been ignoring it. You're a small closed minded boxing fan that wants to see the best lose. You have no appreciation for all that Floyd has accomplished within the sport of boxing.

Floyd is The Best Ever because he has elevated himself to the highest level in the sport of boxing.

Answer my one little question. Who has accomplished more in the sport of boxing than Floyd?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No! This is the very point of my argument. I've been saying it from the start you've just been ignoring it. You're a small closed minded boxing fan that wants to see the best lose. You have no appreciation for all that Floyd has accomplished within the sport of boxing.

Floyd is The Best Ever because he has elevated himself to the highest level in the sport of boxing.

Answer my one little question. Who has accomplished more in the sport of boxing than Floyd?
    Muhammid Ali
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Muhammid Ali
    HAHA....(You didn't even spell his name right.)
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 10-08-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you even read my post? I explicitly said at least twice that Floyd didn't need to do anything. He's already made millions of dollars and been on top of the hill for a while. I said as a boxing fan, I'd like to see Floyd fight GGG because it appears on paper to be a challenging, competitive fight and it would present Floyd with the chance to be the lineal middleweight champion, something he hasn't accomplished yet.

To your point about legacy, adding a lineal middleweight belt to his legacy clearly would improve his legacy. Conversely, losing to the middleweight champion clearly would not lessen it.

I disagree with you though--I wouldn't like to see Floyd face Wlad. That's a farcical fight that in no way shape or form could be competitive. On the other hand, I view Floyd-Sergio Martinez (of two years ago), Floyd-GGG now as competitive fights, where, frankly, I bet many might pick Floyd.

Who would you pick in a fight between Floyd and GGG?
    Yes, I read your posts. I never said people wouldn't want to see the fights, I never said beating GGG wouldn't do wonders for Floyd's legacy, and I never said losing to him would detract a lot from his legacy. None of those were the issue and I never came close to bringing any of them up.

My issue is with you suggesting that Floyd owes the fans a move up to 160, and that him moving up to MW is no big deal. When you say things like "he claims he is the best ever and fans have to pay $75 to watch him fight", that implies very unambiguously that Floyd owes boxing fans a GGG fight, and I can quote you directly: " For boxing fans to want him to move up to 160 to fight the most-feared fighter at 160 is not too much to ask at all." I gave reasons why I disagreed with both statements.

As for who wins, GGG would beat him and probably do serious damage to him in the process. A few years ago, I'd have picked Floyd to pull the upset, but at 38 we've seen him decline over the past few years and he just doesn't have the legs to run from GGG all night and he wouldn't be able to tie him up as effectively on the inside as he does to smaller guys. That would be my guess. Unless they were fighting at a catch weight and GGG came in drained.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to even respond to you Rocco, because I'm convinced that you are a troll and a jack ass. Where your thinking is flawed, is we don't want to see Floyd lose, we want to see him WIN. When I watch Floyd fight GGG, it isn't to see Floyd get his head knocked off, it's to watch him put on a masterpiece and confirm that he is as great as I think he is. Floyd vs Ward, or Wlad, or Hop are unrealistic and unfair. Floyd fighting GGG at 154? That's about as fair of a fight as you can get, and even if Floyd loses,naw long as he put on a good performance, he won't lose stature in anyone's eyes.

Who has accomplished more?!? Henry Armstrong held 3 world championships simultaneously when there were only 8 weight classes and one champ per weight. Sugar Ray Robinson beat numerous prime ATG and HOF fighters, and won in spectacular fashion. Muhammad Ali transcended the sport and beat the greatest set of challengers the heavyweight division has ever produced. I can go on but you get the picture.

Here is what you guys do: you go to the extreme when other knowledgable fans state Floyd's greatness, but font go overboard and buy the bs that he is the greatest. For Floyd not to make the Manny fight is unforgivable. That act alone keeps him out of my top 20 ATG. Oscar fought Sweet Pea, Prime Mosely, Prime Hop, Prime Tito, Prime Quartey, undefeated Miguel Gonzalez, 1 loss Vargas...etc. Mosely fought prime Oscar, Prime Floyd, a Prime Forrest, Prime Winky, Prime Cotto...etc. Hop fought Prime a Roy,Prime Tito, Prime Pavilik, Prime Tarver, Prime Winky, Prime Joe C., Prime Dawson, Prime Pascal, Prime Kovalev. All of those guys fought their biggest threats (identified by fans n media) even though those other guys had rival promoters and networks. They made those fights and sought out the biggest challenges to prove their greatness. It's what great fighters do. Floyd did that prior to JLC and I haven't seen him do it since...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I hate to even respond to you Rocco, because I'm convinced that you are a troll and a jack ass. Where your thinking is flawed, is we don't want to see Floyd lose, we want to see him WIN. When I watch Floyd fight GGG, it isn't to see Floyd get his head knocked off, it's to watch him put on a masterpiece and confirm that he is as great as I think he is. Floyd vs Ward, or Wlad, or Hop are unrealistic and unfair. Floyd fighting GGG at 154? That's about as fair of a fight as you can get, and even if Floyd loses,naw long as he put on a good performance, he won't lose stature in anyone's eyes.

Who has accomplished more?!? Henry Armstrong held 3 world championships simultaneously when there were only 8 weight classes and one champ per weight. Sugar Ray Robinson beat numerous prime ATG and HOF fighters, and won in spectacular fashion. Muhammad Ali transcended the sport and beat the greatest set of challengers the heavyweight division has ever produced. I can go on but you get the picture.

Here is what you guys do: you go to the extreme when other knowledgable fans state Floyd's greatness, but font go overboard and buy the bs that he is the greatest. For Floyd not to make the Manny fight is unforgivable. That act alone keeps him out of my top 20 ATG. Oscar fought Sweet Pea, Prime Mosely, Prime Hop, Prime Tito, Prime Quartey, undefeated Miguel Gonzalez, 1 loss Vargas...etc. Mosely fought prime Oscar, Prime Floyd, a Prime Forrest, Prime Winky, Prime Cotto...etc. Hop fought Prime a Roy,Prime Tito, Prime Pavilik, Prime Tarver, Prime Winky, Prime Joe C., Prime Dawson, Prime Pascal, Prime Kovalev. All of those guys fought their biggest threats (identified by fans n media) even though those other guys had rival promoters and networks. They made those fights and sought out the biggest challenges to prove their greatness. It's what great fighters do. Floyd did that prior to JLC and I haven't seen him do it since...
    But we all know that Floyd is past his prime. He isn't his best anymore and he never will be. If he were younger and still had the speed, the stamina, the movement, the power he held at the lower weights then I'd be all for him fighting a much bigger opponent. At this point in his life, a 38 year old Floyd is not going to fare well against a GGG like opponent. Surely you can recognize that by insisting that he fight a future light heavy that you're only looking for him to lose and probably by brutal KO. You can dress it up however you like. You can claim that you want him to show how masterful he is but you're lying to yourself if that's what you believe. If Floyd made GGG go down to 154 all you dicks would be complaining about how Floyd made GGG weight drained. He didn't allow GGG to be the best fighter he could be, etc... Give me a break!

You hold Floyd out of your personal top 20 because you attribute the failure of a Pac fight not happening? Wow! Delusional?

As for all the great fighters you've listed above... They're all great! Some of the very best of all time! But Floyd has somethings that the rest of them don't have: A perfect record over 19 years. A championship run of 16 years. A shit load of money. A promotional company. His brains and body. The satisfaction that he did it his way -- the whole way.
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 10-09-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why cant ggg step up and face ward.?

Always an excuse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make it sound like GGG deserves the fight?! GGG has fought a bunch of B level fighters and is hardly a household name. Yet you want a Floyd to fight him at a weight that is hardly ideal for either fighter. Get the hell out of here. You are a hater. Even if Floyd fought him and beat him...haters like you will use excuses like "GGG was weight drained", etc.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm fine with them not piecing together what's left of primes and charging $74.95 for me to watch and pretend it means something. Some things are only great if done at the heat of a peak, culmination etc and this match is was one to me. They BOTH blew it arguing over silk underwear and who gets more green M&Ms in the dressing room like divas. A jr welter moving up roughed up and buzzed this Mayweather, does anyone honestly believe Floyd with go up two division and meet Golovkin for anything other than a fair well mega payday affair? Really?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post

You make it sound like GGG deserves the fight?! GGG has fought a bunch of B level fighters and is hardly a household name. Yet you want a Floyd to fight him at a weight that is hardly ideal for either fighter. Get the hell out of here. You are a hater. Even if Floyd fought him and beat him...haters like you will use excuses like "GGG was weight drained", etc.
    You make no sense in your argument. You say GGG hasn't beaten anyone and isn't deserving to fight Floyd, yet throw out excuses as to why Floyd would lose. Also, why would I say that I would like to see Floyd fight GGG and the win would be impressive and then make up reasons to diminish it? That is pretty pointless. Also, how am I a hater if I constantly praise Floyd's greatness and skill in the ring? Do you feel that by closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and calling me a hater it somehow cancels out all of the valid points I've made?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Why cant ggg step up and face ward.?

Always an excuse.
    Ward isn't fighting and isn't calling GGG out. GGG is destroying anyone who gets in the ring with him. Cotto won't even mention his name. It's like asking why Hop and Hagler avoided so many big fights for so many years. Everyone avoided them like they avoid GGG. I'm sure once GGG cleans out middleweight he will look for Ward. If GGG starts running around with a TBE shirt, I will want him to back it up in the ring and take some big risks as well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    @ruthless rocco - with all due respect, you're being a little harsh, my friend. I frankly disagree with you. Duran started his career at 130 and fought legitimately up to 168. Duran never claimed to be the best ever either. Floyd's line of clothing is TBE. Enough said. For boxing fans to want him to move up to 160 to fight the most-feared fighter at 160 is not too much to ask at all, especially when he claims he is the best ever and fans have to pay $75 to watch him fight. It actually is an entirely reasonable request.

Second, it's not as far as off as you make it out to be. GGG weighed in at 165 on his thirty day weigh in for his next fight. He has offered to come down to 154 or a catch weight between 154 and 160 for a fight with Floyd. Floyd is the current champion in the junior middleweight division, only one division below.

Ortiz weighed in the night of at 164 for his fight against Floyd. Canelo weighed in the night of at 165. They rumble at 157 or 160 and you would probably see a five pound difference in the night of weight of GGG compared with Ortiz or Canelo.
    I think the difference is that Duran ate his way up to those higher weights and fought there out of necessity when he got older.

In reality, Floyd is a small WW. And because I know people will disagree with that and quote heights and weights to me, let me explain: for most people this is obvious, but for those who might not know weight cutting has come a long way, and a guy who weighs 147 at the weigh in does not walk around at 147 and doesn't not fight at 147. A guy who fights at 147 will usually weigh 157 or more on fight day.

For reference, when Mayweather fought Sharmba Mitchell, Floyd was 147 at the weigh in and 148 on fight day. In contrast, Mitchell was 145 at the weigh in and 155 on fight night. Against Baldomir, Floyd was 146 weigh in, 149 fight night. Baldomir was 147 weigh in, 162 fight night. In the first Maidana fight, Mayweather was 146 weigh in and 148 on fight night. Maidana was 146 1/2 at weigh in and 165 on fight night. That's a nearly 20lb differential. Floyd's fight time weight of 146-151 is more comparable to the fight time weight of a junior WW or even a large LW.

So if Floyd is being outweighed by so much at WW, why do we expect him to go to 160 and fight an absolute killer, at 38 years old no less. A guy who's never entered a ring weighing more than 151lbs doesn't belong in a weigh class with guys who weigh in at 160 and come to the ring at 170 plus.

That aside, I don't even see why people feel the need for him to move up. It's not like he's cleared the division... the WW division is probably the hottest in boxing right now. There are a lot of young guys I'd love to see him fight. In fact, I'll go on record and say that I think Shawn Porter would beat the shit out of Floyd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Did you even read my post? I explicitly said at least twice that Floyd didn't need to do anything. He's already made millions of dollars and been on top of the hill for a while. I said as a boxing fan, I'd like to see Floyd fight GGG because it appears on paper to be a challenging, competitive fight and it would present Floyd with the chance to be the lineal middleweight champion, something he hasn't accomplished yet.

To your point about legacy, adding a lineal middleweight belt to his legacy clearly would improve his legacy. Conversely, losing to the middleweight champion clearly would not lessen it.

I disagree with you though--I wouldn't like to see Floyd face Wlad. That's a farcical fight that in no way shape or form could be competitive. On the other hand, I view Floyd-Sergio Martinez (of two years ago), Floyd-GGG now as competitive fights, where, frankly, I bet many might pick Floyd.

Who would you pick in a fight between Floyd and GGG?
    Yes, I read your posts. I never said people wouldn't want to see the fights, I never said beating GGG wouldn't do wonders for Floyd's legacy, and I never said losing to him would detract a lot from his legacy. None of those were the issue and I never came close to bringing any of them up.

My issue is with you suggesting that Floyd owes the fans a move up to 160, and that him moving up to MW is no big deal. When you say things like "he claims he is the best ever and fans have to pay $75 to watch him fight", that implies very unambiguously that Floyd owes boxing fans a GGG fight, and I can quote you directly: " For boxing fans to want him to move up to 160 to fight the most-feared fighter at 160 is not too much to ask at all." I gave reasons why I disagreed with both statements.

As for who wins, GGG would beat him and probably do serious damage to him in the process. A few years ago, I'd have picked Floyd to pull the upset, but at 38 we've seen him decline over the past few years and he just doesn't have the legs to run from GGG all night and he wouldn't be able to tie him up as effectively on the inside as he does to smaller guys. That would be my guess. Unless they were fighting at a catch weight and GGG came in drained.
    If I suggested Floyd owed fans a move to 160, I was wrong. Floyd doesn't owe fans anything. That is in line with me saying that Floyd doesn't need to do anything. His legacy is secure for what it is. Same with all the greats of our era.

I never hold it against a fighter for not moving up. If they can make weight in safe fashion, they probably belong at that weight class. Moving up in that kind of situation only can improve a legacy, it can't hurt it. If GGG went up to 168 and was squashed by Froch or Ward, and moved back down to 160, I wouldn't hold it against him, but if he beat Froch or Ward, I would value it higher than beating a top guy at middleweight. At a certain point though, when the division is cleaned out, and no challenging fight can be made at their weight class, it makes sense from a legacy perspective to move up.

Let's consider Cotto. Cotto is no bigger than Floyd. Cotto went up to middleweight and beat Martinez. Cotto did something Floyd hasn't done. The desire to challenge himself at 160 against the middleweight champion of the world even though he didn't have to do it is something that greatly improves his legacy. Boxing fans wanted Cotto to face Martinez and Cotto showed it wasn't too much to ask. To prove that, he took the challenge.

I can only imagine how much you didn't want Cotto to face Martinez. Martinez was too big for him. He was too fast for him. 160 isn't Cotto's natural weight class.

My point was that the weight difference with GGG/Martinez (in the past) with Floyd's other opponents is actually about 5 pounds. 5 pounds is a lot in boxing but it isn't insurmountable for a fighter of Floyd's ability. As evidence, it wasn't insurmountable for Cotto, a guy who Floyd beat.

Also, who are you so excited to see Floyd face at 147-154? Are you really excited about Shawn Porter? I like the guy, but Kell Brook took him to school, and let's be honest, if Brook can do it, can't Floyd?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 10-09-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Thread Information