Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Title Belts

What's up with all the alphabet title belts out there? In my opinion, only 3 should be recognized: WBC, WBA, and IBF.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Title Belts

In terms of what is generally recognized, I'd probably throw in the WBO into that mix too in terms of what belts are recognised on a world stage, however I believe that in order to claim to be a legit world title holder, a fighter must at least hold one of the belts, and preferably hold two or three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just shows how little Americans follow the Super middle weight divison.

LMAO. And that's because they never win at it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Just shows how little Americans follow the Super middle weight divison.

LMAO. And that's because they never win at it.
    Just wait for Allan Green. Tick, tock, Tick, tock, tick....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more belts --the more the alphabet gangs remove there own credibility.

Look at the WBA. Up until the birth of the WBC in 1962, they were the ONLY world sanctioning organization. Now they have become one of the biggest jokes. 3 world champions PER division (Super, interim, and regular). Cotto made his mandatory in March and has until March again to fight his next mandatory, YET they decided to create an interim champion. It's only a matter of time before the press stops recognizing the trinket with the most linage.

Eventually, I think the trend is going towards The Ring belts. They are the most highly regarded within the boxing community and there is no sanctioning fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut

Look at the WBA. Up until the birth of the WBC in 1962, they were the ONLY world sanctioning organization. Now they have become one of the biggest jokes. 3 world champions PER division (Super, interim, and regular). Cotto made his mandatory in March and has until March again to fight his next mandatory, YET they decided to create an interim champion. It's only a matter of time before the press stops recognizing the trinket with the most linage.

Eventually, I think the trend is going towards The Ring belts. They are the most highly regarded within the boxing community and there is no sanctioning fee.
    The problem with the Ring Belt is that fery few people outside the boxing comunity know about it. Not to mention it is just a Magazine ranking and not a real belt (by real I mean, tangible). What boxing needs is a way for people outside the hardcore fans to recognize who is THE CHAMP at each weightclass. Why should the anouncer have to specify that a fighter is the Universally Recognized champion. Give him a belt that means this is THE MAN at that weight. It it is going to be the Ring Belt, fine. Make it a real belt, make it recognizable by the average fan. Have the anouncer call him THE "division name" Champion of the world and call the other guy the challenger no matter what belt he has.

It could be something like this

"Here is the challenger, WBA belt holder Miguel Cotto and here is the WW champion of the world, WBC title holder Floyd Mayweather"

That way you let everyone know this is the champion, this is the chalenger. I imagine you would have to at least name the titles they are holding just don't call them champion untill they actually become THE CHAMP.

But none of that is ever gonna happen though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

The problem with the Ring Belt is that fery few people outside the boxing comunity know about it. Not to mention it is just a Magazine ranking and not a real belt (by real I mean, tangible). What boxing needs is a way for people outside the hardcore fans to recognize who is THE CHAMP at each weightclass. Why should the anouncer have to specify that a fighter is the Universally Recognized champion. Give him a belt that means this is THE MAN at that weight. It it is going to be the Ring Belt, fine. Make it a real belt, make it recognizable by the average fan. Have the anouncer call him THE "division name" Champion of the world and call the other guy the challenger no matter what belt he has.

"Here is the challenger, WBA belt holder Miguel Cotto and here is the WW champion of the world, WBC title holder Floyd Mayweather"

That way you let everyone know this is the champion, this is the chalenger. I imagine you would have to at least name the titles they are holding just don't call them champion untill they actually become THE CHAMP.

The Ring Magazine does have a physical belt that they hand out when someone wins it, so it is not just only a ranking.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

The Ring Magazine does have a physical belt that they hand out when someone wins it, so it is not just only a ranking.
    And the Ring belt is just a recognizable as the IBF or WBA belt. In fact, the Ring Belt was used in all the Rocky movies(check it out, the belt rocky wears actually has The Ring's logo on it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

kinda reminds me of the de la hoya fight for some reason when buffer said neeewwww junior middleweight champion of the world and everybody cheered cuz they thought floyd was champ for all the shit he talked good times

Thread Information