Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What if the 1990’s George Foreman was around today?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What if the 1990’s George Foreman was around today?

What if the 1990’s George Foreman was around today?

Foreman did not take on Lennox Lewis or Bowe, he knew they were too young, dangerous and equally as big as he was.

However he did take on a small former undisputed cruiserweight Evander Holyfield and a weak chinned Michael Moorer.

I wonder if he would have wanted to take on Wilder and AJ?

How would he fare with the heavyweights today?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What if the 1990’s George Foreman was around today?

I honestly think he would knock them out. Wilder couldn't stop him thus losing all the rounds and Joshua couldn't survive him meaning he likely gets clubbed. Fury would have the best shor due to styles IMO. You have to beat Foreman on points.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all like to think Foreman had this iron chin that couldn't be dented. But then he rarely got clocked with a full blast, lights out right hand in order to test that chin. Foreman's (70's version) TKO loss to Ali was mostly fatigue and being out-strategized by Ali. In the 90's, he took a lot of shots from the likes of Holyfield.... but none of the anesthetizing power of a Wilder right hand.

Not saying a 90's Foreman would lose to Wilder, mind you. Foreman by then had the wiliness and ring savvy to adjust his style somewhat. And Foreman will always be Foreman. If Foreman lands those heavy tree trunks on Wilder.... Wilder gets counted out. But if Wilder were to connect with one of those right hands on Foreman's chin, well....... we might all be surprised at the result. I doubt Foreman just shakes it off and trudges on.

Yes... 90's Foreman probably loses to Fury on points. Unless again.... Foreman corners him somehow and lands. In Fury's case it doesn't need to be anything special.... just land.

I think Foreman-Joshua is a tossup, but I lean Foreman's way.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at what has happened to the average American since the 90s I’d guess if 90s Foreman was around today he’d be about 20/25 pounds heavier

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds kind of strange, but i give foreman a better chance of dealing with Wilder than the others. Theres a good chance Foreman would see all of wilder's punches coming and I get the feeling that once he crowded him, wilder doesn't have the skills to bail himself out or fight an inside fight against foreman. Foreman would be like a bigger tougher version of Ortiz that doesnt let wilder control the pace so he can fight in spurts.

As for Joshua, I think foreman can catch combo crazy joshua, The style joshua that fought the second ruiz fight and fury stand a better chance because of the way foreman swelled up over the course of a fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

90s Big George smokes:

AJ like 6 ways to Sunday;

Wilder in 2 rounds;

90s Big George cannot catch up with Fury

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Sounds kind of strange, but i give foreman a better chance of dealing with Wilder than the others. Theres a good chance Foreman would see all of wilder's punches coming and I get the feeling that once he crowded him, wilder doesn't have the skills to bail himself out or fight an inside fight against foreman. Foreman would be like a bigger tougher version of Ortiz that doesnt let wilder control the pace so he can fight in spurts.

As for Joshua, I think foreman can catch combo crazy joshua, The style joshua that fought the second ruiz fight and fury stand a better chance because of the way foreman swelled up over the course of a fight.
    Yes, he had that turtle like defense and he was pretty good with it. Wilder would definitely eat the hardest shots of his life too and he is not a big HW in terms of build. Foreman had an excellent chin and though Wilder stops opponents is he stopping people with a Toney like beard? No, he isn't and if a big Stiverne can take it for 12, then Foreman does a lot more. Wilder hits hard, but that is not going to dent Foreman based on that last fight. Wilder would have been busted up somewhat by then as Foreman would have landed hard as he built up a big lead.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Foreman would not have taken the risk of fighting the undefeated AJ. That would have been someone like a Lennox Lewis/ Riddick Bowe for him. However after AJ lost to Ruiz, he may decide to take the risk.

I think there a sufficient weaknesses in Wilder for Big George to take the risk to fight him probably losing most of the rounds hoping that Wilder will make the mistake Moorer did. I think Wilder would be too wise and just try and win by decision. Leaving a bruised and battered Foreman.

Tyson Fury would simply outbox Big George and do Ali impressions at the same time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Luis Ortiz makes 90s Foreman look like a nimble Ali. He outboxes Wilder behind his rock solid jab let alone sparks him with the thundering right hand. Fury and AJ can "dance" him out of it like Morrison did.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Yes, he had that turtle like defense and he was pretty good with it. Wilder would definitely eat the hardest shots of his life too and he is not a big HW in terms of build. Foreman had an excellent chin and though Wilder stops opponents is he stopping people with a Toney like beard? No, he isn't and if a big Stiverne can take it for 12, then Foreman does a lot more. Wilder hits hard, but that is not going to dent Foreman based on that last fight. Wilder would have been busted up somewhat by then as Foreman would have landed hard as he built up a big lead.
    As the saying goes.. "Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young."
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder doesn't have to stability, discipline or combination punching for 'old' George. I think it'd be similar to Foreman v Brigg minus the thick head of Shannon. George catches up, you don't shake that telephone pole jab and clubbing axe handle right off, you wore them for the rest of the fight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman is truly an all time great heavyweight. Never mind 1990's Big George ..... just imagine what 1970's Foreman would have done to them

Having said that, I do think Fury has the style and size to frustrate any version of Foreman.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information