Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Knee problems

I seem to have hurt my knees, I assume through overusing them. I've been building up my workouts over that past two months and now I'm up to between 800-1000 calories burned each 1.25 hour session, which I'm now doing 6 days a week. I'm also doing a weight routine every two days. But I've been using the stairmaster and summit trainer almost exclusively in my cardio, both of which put strain on my knees. I guess I don't really have a question, but I guess I'm looking for some advice on varying my workouts. I've decided to only do one of those two machines each day and to work in some rowing machine and standing bicycle as well. Does that sound reasonable or I am just overdoing it?

I've lost over 10 lbs. in the last two months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Knee problems

I'd back off before it gets worst. Cut down on squats, leg extensions, and even the stair master as it's not making them feel any better. Also a good warm up followed by stretching before your weight training and even before cardio is helpful. Bodybuilders like Schwarzenegger would do light weight, high rep sets to help lubricate (warm up) as they put it, their joints before their workout. Taking from their insight, you can warm up your legs by doing light weight sets of leg extensions.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    I'd back off before it gets worst. Cut down on squats, leg extensions, and even the stair master as it's not making them feel any better. Also a good warm up followed by stretching before your weight training and even before cardio is helpful. Bodybuilders like Schwarzenegger would do light weight, high rep sets to help lubricate (warm up) as they put it, their joints before their workout. Taking from their insight, you can warm up your legs by doing light weight sets of leg extensions.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way.
    Thanks. I've cut way back on the gym activities for the last four days and I went to a physiotherapist today. Apparently I have patella tendonitis (I think) aka Jumper's Knee. It happened as a result of overuse, ie. my dumbass doing the same exercises everyday for two months. As a result, I've devised a rough crosstraining schedule for myself. I may not burn as many calories, but I'll be doing different exercises so my body doesn't get used to them and preventing injury (hopefully). I'm going to head back to the gym tomorrow and try out some lightish cardio and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck, you know what you need to do now. BTW, do they have a cross-country skiing machine (eg a nordik track) at your gym. Those machines don't put much stress on your knees.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Good luck, you know what you need to do now. BTW, do they have a cross-country skiing machine (eg a nordik track) at your gym. Those machines don't put much stress on your knees.
    Not to my knowledge. They have elipticals, two types of stairmasters, a summit trainer (basically an uphill eliptical - it's hell on the knees), rowing machines, two types of stationary bikes, and treadmills in the cardio room.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres one you can do with a fitball that will help CFH. Sit with your back to the wall nice and straight, with a leg over a fitball hip knee and foot in line. Pushing with your Hamstrings into the Ball and your foot pushed back to shins bend the knee so the Heel is pushing into the Ball, while all the time pushing the Hamstrings into the Ball with pressure. Then after 10 secs raise the foot and straighten the leg at the top hold for 10 secs always pushing down into the Ball with the foot bent towards the shin do it 3 times each leg. you will tremble well the muscles will keep correct form at all times, Enjoy
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information