Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Teddy Atlas on The Joe Rogan Experience

Interesting 3-hour talk with Teddy Atlas, whether you like him or not.

Enjoy.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Teddy Atlas on The Joe Rogan Experience

Teddy Atlas on Joe Rogan........

??

I can only imagine the analogies he'd come up with after toking LMAO.

But seriously Rogan is a huge Tyson fan boy and although he's known for his UFC stuff Joe still appreciates boxing. Joe is a bit of a musclehead at times and he's a bit of a pothead at times (in how he acts), but he's entertaining and he loves the fight game which is brilliant for the various sports because he's drawing in fans old and new.

I'm kind of surprised Joe Rogan never got into pro wrestling either as a wrestler or as an announcer because he's got charisma and he's a legit badass. I guess Rob Van Dam was what Joe would have been in WWE lol...complete with bong rips and everything.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do they talk about on there, I love listening to Teddy but I can only handle him in short bursts a lot of the time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True. It's usually better to listen to him in short bursts. This interview is quite easy to go the whole 3 hours through; he talks about Tyson and Cus obviously but also a lot about his childhood. These blokes had some really raw life experiences coming up. His dad, his neighbourhood...

BTW, in general, the JRE is better when you're a bit stoned. Especially when he does other comedians. Trussel (super hippy) is a really good one.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Rogan is a bigger boxing fan than many self-proclaimed "hardcores." He's always waffling about the top fighters, from Joshua-Wilder to Loma and Golovkin and Crawford. Watches everything.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Joe Rogan is a bigger boxing fan than many self-proclaimed "hardcores." He's always waffling about the top fighters, from Joshua-Wilder to Loma and Golovkin and Crawford. Watches everything.
    He's definately a well-rounded guy when it comes to contact sports. And makes an effort to form his own opinion about general issues (as a member of the International Dork Web)

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    What do they talk about on there, I love listening to Teddy but I can only handle him in short bursts a lot of the time.
    Depends on the guest and what Joe is feeling that day. He talks current events, history, science, sports, technology, theories about life, religion, all kinds of shit. Elon Musk just went on there and smoked a blunt with him.

Alex Jones went on there and got blazed out of his gourd.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Depends on the guest and what Joe is feeling that day. He talks current events, history, science, sports, technology, theories about life, religion, all kinds of shit. Elon Musk just went on there and smoked a blunt with him.

Alex Jones went on there and got blazed out of his gourd.
    I ment I can only handle short bursts of Teddy.

I've never really bothered listening to Rogan

El Kabong Guest

Teddy on Tyson

El Kabong Guest

I finally got around to listen to Atlas talk about Tyson.....geez what the fuck makes a great fighter for Teddy? So Tyson lost a few fights, big deal. I don't think he quit or hid...I think vs Douglas he tried his damnedest he just ran out of gas and took too many shots. I think vs Holyfield in #1 he gave everything but Evander never broke and in the rematch it was looking the same and THEN he looked for a way out. Against Frans Botha he struggled and Frans gave a great account of himself and Tyson found a way to win, great punch too. Against Ruddock 2 times he really was called to dig deep. Against Bruno he went through some adversity. Against Lennox he came out of the gates hot but faded quickly (thought Manny Steward did a great job pushing Lennox for the KO). Against Williams and McBride he was just too damned old.

Teddy has convinced himself he's not being personally harsh on Tyson, but we all know he is and hell I understand it, Tyson and he had a very personal fallout.

I would be interested for Kevin Rooney to be on The JRE

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that was my take also, cool interview on the whole but when Tyson comes up he’s just sour. “He only had five fights and he lost them all” you could say that about almost anyone who ever lost some fights.... Mike probably had less heart than someone like a Gatti, sure, but he never went out easily, was tough as nails, and as you mentioned he overcame serious resistance a bunch of times to beat top guys. You can’t hold it against him for having a tendency to steamroll others without taking the kitchen sink.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yeah that was my take also, cool interview on the whole but when Tyson comes up he’s just sour. “He only had five fights and he lost them all” you could say that about almost anyone who ever lost some fights.... Mike probably had less heart than someone like a Gatti, sure, but he never went out easily, was tough as nails, and as you mentioned he overcame serious resistance a bunch of times to beat top guys. You can’t hold it against him for having a tendency to steamroll others without taking the kitchen sink.
    Absolutely! Given Tyson's issues outside the ring, given the turmoil in his training camps, and given the era remember fighters were RUINED by drugs in the 80's and 90's John Tate, Michael Dokes, hell Tyson himself admitted recently to being high during some major fights and he still accomplished so much.

What gets me is the amount of adversity Teddy is talking about happening during a fight...nobody would last long in the sport if they took that much adversity, that much punishment every single fight. I don't care who you are!

Mike Tyson never got off the canvas to win a fight, but hell neither did Lennox Lewis, I don't think Joe Frazier did, I don't think Sonny Liston did.

Tyson was behind on the scorecards when he beat Frans Botha 36-40, 36-40, 36-39 and there are great fighters who haven't done that before

Tyson got rocked and recovered to go on to win or hold on to win

So really the only deal was once you got Tyson on the canvas he was beaten....so his history tells us. But shit Buster Douglas had to throw the kitchen sink at him to drop him. Tyson never ever suffered a flash knockdown that I know of which speaks to how great both his footwork and his chin were and how good his balance was.

I really think Tyson vs Bowe at old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx or Madison Square Garden in the 1990's (had Tyson not been sent to prison) would have been just an amazing spectacle. The prefigth press conferences alone would have been amazing. It would have been one of those fights where you wouldn't even need a title to get everyone hyped for it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, every time he got dropped he had already taken tremendous punishment and been comprehensively beaten. Show me a fighter who has gotten off the canvas to win numerous times, and you’re almost always going to be talking about guys who weren’t great at staying off of it in the first place.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yep, every time he got dropped he had already taken tremendous punishment and been comprehensively beaten. Show me a fighter who has gotten off the canvas to win numerous times, and you’re almost always going to be talking about guys who weren’t great at staying off of it in the first place.
    And it's not like Tyson ever got sparked cold.

Look at Floyd Patterson, I bet Teddy rates Patterson and Floyd got sparked on occasion!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s almost like we agree. Let’s keep putting it differently and liking each others posts for a few pages, just for a change of pace around here.

Thread Information