Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: floyd vs berto.......meh

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    He should have at least fought someone top 10.

Shows you can be a huge fan... and objective enough to second-guess their decisions at the same time.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its odd that the same people who were saying Floyd was on a wind up saying he was fighting Berto or Mayfield are now defending his choice of opponent. Whats the opposite of haters gonna hate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is joke, sooner he retires the better. Remember he fought Zab Judah after he had lost this is just as bad. Pathetic.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not one for comparisons with other fighters or fight counts, records etc. And i'm not targeting any posts in this thread, mind you but i think a lot less people would have an issue with berto as an opponent if mayweather stepped up and annihilated pacquiao in the last fight in accordance with the amount of garbage he talked. Truth be told, this dislike is a microcosm of the past few years of his career and and a look at his legacy for decades to come. The stat fans/historians will always be able to tout punchstat numbers and etc to speak about his accuracy and how little he was hit cleanly, but many fans will just remember how up till the very end, he talked more about beating people and slapping exercise dummies on twitter and then crippled his opponents with prefight demands on weights, gloves, location (justifiable-- his home town fights that pay more than anywhere else in the US), and other demands and then outpointed opponents with reflex pot shots and counters from behind his shoulder rather than actually asserting himself in the ring and using his speed, footwork, power to walk them down and take advantage of their mistakes...

Even now when searching for a point of enjoyable fights, people are still having to dig all the way back to corrales, gatti, maybe judah or mosely... He's a fighter claiming on camera, the mic, the internet that he can do anything he wants with his opponents and thats why he deserves to get paid what he demands. In the ring he's not reflective of a fighter that believes that. Instead, he does just enough to win a decision in his home town, with his prefight demands met before talking more harsh words to set up another timid performance. The lamenting of these fights is not a condemnation of floyd as much as it is fight fans tired of listening to him talk with conviction and then having to witness him fight to squeak by instead of making a statement because fighting that way would put his "0" at risk.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    He should have at least fought someone top 10.
    Berto is ranked #1 right behind the regular err interim champion of the oldest Org. Rankings are only as good as the crippled organization they represent. Or should I say only matter in the organization you pay pimp fees to.
    I don't know any of them I just look at RING and Boxrec.

Boxrec has his ass ranked at #20 hahaha.

To me it's just disappointing because in all probably he has 2 fights left in his career. He's the greatest talent to come along in a long time, maybe ever, so of course I want to see him go out against two big challengers.

It'd be different if he was washed up and had lost and dropped off already, but he's still the #1 WW and the #1 p4p in the world. He should be fighting two guys close to his ranking IMO.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Floyd is joke, sooner he retires the better. Remember he fought Zab Judah after he had lost this is just as bad. Pathetic.
    I'd say this is even worse than the Judah fight. At least Judah was still a top 5 guy at the weight class when he fought him, even with the upset loss.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say this is even worse than the Judah fight. At least Judah was still a top 5 guy at the weight class when he fought him, even with the upset loss.
    Is it ppv or free?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it ppv or free?
    Free is the only saving grace hahaha

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it ppv or free?
    Free is the only saving grace hahaha
    I thought he had a contract to fight ppv?

What is the bet he will claim it will be uhis last fight and no one believes him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will be free on CBS and apparently his next fight might be on NBC.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I'm not one for comparisons with other fighters or fight counts, records etc. And i'm not targeting any posts in this thread, mind you but i think a lot less people would have an issue with berto as an opponent if mayweather stepped up and annihilated pacquiao in the last fight in accordance with the amount of garbage he talked. Truth be told, this dislike is a microcosm of the past few years of his career and and a look at his legacy for decades to come. The stat fans/historians will always be able to tout punchstat numbers and etc to speak about his accuracy and how little he was hit cleanly, but many fans will just remember how up till the very end, he talked more about beating people and slapping exercise dummies on twitter and then crippled his opponents with prefight demands on weights, gloves, location (justifiable-- his home town fights that pay more than anywhere else in the US), and other demands and then outpointed opponents with reflex pot shots and counters from behind his shoulder rather than actually asserting himself in the ring and using his speed, footwork, power to walk them down and take advantage of their mistakes...

Even now when searching for a point of enjoyable fights, people are still having to dig all the way back to corrales, gatti, maybe judah or mosely... He's a fighter claiming on camera, the mic, the internet that he can do anything he wants with his opponents and thats why he deserves to get paid what he demands. In the ring he's not reflective of a fighter that believes that. Instead, he does just enough to win a decision in his home town, with his prefight demands met before talking more harsh words to set up another timid performance. The lamenting of these fights is not a condemnation of floyd as much as it is fight fans tired of listening to him talk with conviction and then having to witness him fight to squeak by instead of making a statement because fighting that way would put his "0" at risk.

What you said is true. The thing is, Floyd was constructed. Both his father and his uncle tried and failed to develop a style their own that was based on George Benton. They had limited success. Gretzky dad had limited success as a hockey player but his kid was pushing a chair around the ice before he could walk. They shattered the 10,000 hour rule. So did Floyd. Statistics only prove there are other statistics. Coffee either tastes good or it doesn't.

Floyd is a product of his environment and its never really been about legacy for him. If it was he would have at least unified one of the divisions he fought in. His legacy is money.

My point for bringing up others is to put things into perspective not excuse Floyd for playing safe.
    I also wish he fought the same way he did at 130/35 but things change.The fighters get bigger and lets not forget that the object is to hit and not get hit and the use of the ring or ring generalship gets confused these days with running. I swear to the big guy that half of today's fans would prefer phone booths and 3 rd knockout or bust fights.

I dont think Floyd really gives a shit whether or not it would be better for him to some that he have pugilistic dementia. And ftr that kind of brush used against him at times irregardless of the facts is broad and ever present like no other fighter that I have witnessed in my time. Much of it is deserving and much of it not.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Its odd that the same people who were saying Floyd was on a wind up saying he was fighting Berto or Mayfield are now defending his choice of opponent. Whats the opposite of haters gonna hate

I thought for sure it would be one of those two if not Garcia and then after Porter bounced his little brother I thought for sure it would be him. I never expected anything special for 49. I just dont think its his last fight

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Btw Floyd still gets his 32 million base pay.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The person that negotiated the contract for the TV company needs shooting. What a waste on one fighter.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The person that negotiated the contract for the TV company needs shooting. What a waste on one fighter.
    I'd say that'll end up being more than lucrative for them. The ad revenue they're going to generate for Mayweather's first free fight in 10 years will be off the charts.

Thread Information