Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Racism/Chimp Pic/BBC/Royals/Danny Baker Sacked

Hardened racism is something you know when you see it. Anyone bouncing around dropping N bombs as insult and slur out in the real world is showing you exactly who they are and don't require the Scooby Doo mystery hour regarding intent or heart considering our National history. It's elsewhere and often more coded and sly. I remember as a dumb little twat in the 70's we learned that 'Fag' was actually a cigarette and describing a homosexual was the slur. It was like Christmas to go start some shat. The next day the class is running around "using it" on everyone because we could then point to the dictionary and say "It means cigarette" like some smartass. Rambling here, forgot this thread was about monkeys or chimps etc. I prefer Silver backs.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Racism/Chimp Pic/BBC/Royals/Danny Baker Sacked

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Hardened racism is something you know when you see it. Anyone bouncing around dropping N bombs as insult and slur out in the real world is showing you exactly who they are and don't require the Scooby Doo mystery hour regarding intent or heart considering our National history. It's elsewhere and often more coded and sly. I remember as a dumb little twat in the 70's we learned that 'Fag' was actually a cigarette and describing a homosexual was the slur. It was like Christmas to go start some shat. The next day the class is running around "using it" on everyone because we could then point to the dictionary and say "It means cigarette" like some smartass. Rambling here, forgot this thread was about monkeys or chimps etc. I prefer Silver backs.
    That is true and that is why I think it is important to distinguish between jokes and people who are snarling insults at you. However, I think an insult is an insult regardless of race, gender, or sexuality. I have certainly been called a 'fag' in my time, but I consider it no worse than 'cunt' or 'chimp'. The word really only has power if it owns you. I was last called 'faggot' at a military base as some bloated and rather ugly older man walked into the toilets and I was walking out. Sure it was a slur, but at the same time rather than see it as demeaning I thought 'Well, yes, I am certainly slimmer and more attractive than you' and smirked on my way out. The only thing that poor old chap could pull was a trigger. I think it is great when you can provoke a reaction like that for doing nothing at all. Now if it was a bunch of them snarling it and wanting to beat me up for it, then it is a whole new ball park. That's where I think the limits are.

Thread Information