Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today in Trump

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id=mailsignout

Seriously people. How many of us haven't at some point wanted the power to pardon ourselves?

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Seriously people. How many of us haven't at some point wanted the power to pardon ourselves?
    It's a media tweak, dude does anyone NOT know he does this kind of thing on purpose?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

It's a media tweak, dude does anyone NOT know he does this kind of thing on purpose?

So we can continue looking forward to 3 more years of Trump pulling the media's chain for his own bemusement? Really Lyle..... at what point does this get old and we look forward to the good ol' days when POTUS/media wars weren't the focus of every waking moment? Yeah we get it..... many in the mainstream media hate Trump. That horse has been beaten to death. Yeah we get it..... Trump likes to get his jollies off at the expense of the media, screwing over the average news watcher in the process. All Presidents have their issues with the media in one way or another. We all know the media can be hugely slanted (unfortunately). Isn't it time, though, to discontinue this perpetual pissing contest and go about business as usual? Making America great again isn't fomenting and encouraging this ever-widening split between political parties and the people themselves, while thumbing your nose at anyone who dares criticize. Is goes further than the (normally cyclic) economic boons that grace the presence of some Presidents. You know I've criticized (or haven't defended) Obama on a lot of issues, so comparisons between Trump and Obama are lost on me. I'll never forgive Obama for not taking the opportunity given to him on a silver platter to advance racial relations in the States. He f*cked up worse than JR Smith the other night when he dribbled out of a sure shot with the game tied and 4 seconds left. But damn it Trump is tiring..... if not for anything else but for the circus-like environment that has permeated his every minute as POTUS. It used to be people would tune in to the news when something notable happened, which wasn't every single minute of every single day. Now it's like a goddamn soap opera. Four years of yelling to the rest of the world....... "Are you not entertained?!?!?" That he plays all these games on purpose I know turns some people on. But bro, it just tires a bunch of others.

El Kabong Guest

So we can continue looking forward to 3 more years of Trump pulling the media's chain for his own bemusement? Really Lyle..... at what point does this get old and we look forward to the good ol' days when POTUS/media wars weren't the focus of every waking moment? Yeah we get it..... many in the mainstream media hate Trump. That horse has been beaten to death. Yeah we get it..... Trump likes to get his jollies off at the expense of the media, screwing over the average news watcher in the process. All Presidents have their issues with the media in one way or another. We all know the media can be hugely slanted (unfortunately). Isn't it time, though, to discontinue this perpetual pissing contest and go about business as usual? Making America great again isn't fomenting and encouraging this ever-widening split between political parties and the people themselves, while thumbing your nose at anyone who dares criticize. Is goes further than the (normally cyclic) economic boons that grace the presence of some Presidents. You know I've criticized (or haven't defended) Obama on a lot of issues, so comparisons between Trump and Obama are lost on me. I'll never forgive Obama for not taking the opportunity given to him on a silver platter to advance racial relations in the States. He f*cked up worse than JR Smith the other night when he dribbled out of a sure shot with the game tied and 4 seconds left. But damn it Trump is tiring..... if not for anything else but for the circus-like environment that has permeated his every minute as POTUS. It used to be people would tune in to the news when something notable happened, which wasn't every single minute of every single day. Now it's like a goddamn soap opera. Four years of yelling to the rest of the world....... "Are you not entertained?!?!?" That he plays all these games on purpose I know turns some people on. But bro, it just tires a bunch of others.
    3? Try 6.

YES we'll be watching the exact same thing happen time and time again until the media learns it's lesson.

Trump is playing Tecmo Bowl with the Raiders and Bo Jackson and the Democrats are playing with literally anyone else. Trump is going to run with Bo Jackson (call the same play each and every time) and the media will fall for it every single time.

Don't hate the player hate the game

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You feel Trump will be reelected? I don't know, Lyle. I think the U.S. voters will thank Trump for his services..... wish him godspeed in his future endeavors..... and try like hell to find someone who can do the job well while still being Presidential (a.k.a. - "not an asshole"). Hey.... the media will have learned its lesson. Fake news is unacceptable. The public will be watching out for it, thanks to Trump. But it'll be time to move on. It's like when a corporation gets a hired gun to clean house in upper management, before looking for the ideal candidate to take over the reigns. Sometimes the executioner isn't that person. Once he does his job..... out you go.

Trump is abrasive.... insults women, Mexicans, and anybody who doesn't kiss his ass..... he treats everything like he's closing a real estate business deal (many times that's good.... other times it's not). Trump lies through his teeth with the ease of someone who has lied all his life. As far as I'm concerned, he did his job when he kept Hillary Clinton from the White House. After that, he could've packed his suitcase and gone home. I gotta think there had to be ONE Republican among the whole bunch that could've done a halfway decent job as POTUS.

The problem I see is..... Trump has forever changed the playing field. People won't expect Presidential anymore. They'll settle for racist, sexist, disrespectful, lying, petty (fighting Meryl Streep is petty), lowlife Presidents as long as the bottom line is good. And IMHO, that's too bad. I would've wanted the bar to remain set high. Not that the past few Presidents have been anything to write home about. After Bush Jr., all bets were off. To me that was the turning point of the Presidency. If that moron could get elected, who was to know who else could get elected. Again..... Obama dropped the ball in so many things. So when can America expect someone who aside from doing a good job can inspire RESPECT?

El Kabong Guest

You feel Trump will be reelected? I don't know, Lyle. I think the U.S. voters will thank Trump for his services..... wish him godspeed in his future endeavors..... and try like hell to find someone who can do the job well while still being Presidential (a.k.a. - "not an asshole"). Hey.... the media will have learned its lesson. Fake news is unacceptable. The public will be watching out for it, thanks to Trump. But it'll be time to move on. It's like when a corporation gets a hired gun to clean house in upper management, before looking for the ideal candidate to take over the reigns. Sometimes the executioner isn't that person. Once he does his job..... out you go.

Trump is abrasive.... insults women, Mexicans, and anybody who doesn't kiss his ass..... he treats everything like he's closing a real estate business deal (many times that's good.... other times it's not). Trump lies through his teeth with the ease of someone who has lied all his life. As far as I'm concerned, he did his job when he kept Hillary Clinton from the White House. After that, he could've packed his suitcase and gone home. I gotta think there had to be ONE Republican among the whole bunch that could've done a halfway decent job as POTUS.

The problem I see is..... Trump has forever changed the playing field. People won't expect Presidential anymore. They'll settle for racist, sexist, disrespectful, lying, petty (fighting Meryl Streep is petty), lowlife Presidents as long as the bottom line is good. And IMHO, that's too bad. I would've wanted the bar to remain set high. Not that the past few Presidents have been anything to write home about. After Bush Jr., all bets were off. To me that was the turning point of the Presidency. If that moron could get elected, who was to know who else could get elected. Again..... Obama dropped the ball in so many things. So when can America expect someone who aside from doing a good job can inspire RESPECT?
    Who will beat him? Hillary? Bernie? Joe Biden? LOL.

Trump has the economy humming, he allowed the military to hammer the dog shit out of ISIS and Al Qaeda, he's not getting us involved in other wars, he's got black and hispanic unemployment to HISTORIC lows, next year the tax cuts kick in so the economy is only going to continue improving, he's brought back jobs that Obama told people weren't coming back, he pardoned Jack Johnson which is not something that he had to do but he did it anyway because it was deserved, he moved the Embassy to Jerusalem as many previous Presidents had promised to do he just fucking up and did it.

Dude, if you don't like Trump I hate to tell you, he's here for a while and he may end up doing so well that Pence or Pompeo ends up getting elected on the back of 2 successful terms, granted he'll have to avoid scandals which tend to creep into most campaigns in the second term, but so far so good as far as I can tell. He's promising, he's delivering, and he's driving the media completely insane and you do not understand how many people enjoy that alone after 8 years of them worshiping every little thing Obama did, they deserve to be treated like the snakes they are.

How is Trump racist?
    How is Trump sexist?
    What has he lied about?
    Petty? Yeah but the media can be exceptionally petty, he punches back and it's brilliant to see, the last guy who ever punched back or had to was Reagan.

Trump's approval rating is not horrible considering that the media's coverage of him is 91%+ Negative.......dude is getting hammered 24/7/365 and yet he's STILL getting some decent numbers and getting people like Kanye West to risk their fandoms for supporting him.

Regardless of personal feelings about Trump good or bad he's an absolute game changer in the world of politics. He never seems to be caught off guard even at the debates and on the fly, he speaks off the cuff which compared to any traditional politician he blows them out of the water, he can effectively communicate to large crowds and make them feel like he's speaking to each person individually.

Donald Trump has Democrats defending MS-13.....bruh.....defending MS-13 over our American citizens......that's not a battle Democrats can win. He has Democrats admitting "We'll raise your taxes!" again not a battle they're going to win. If Donald Trump wakes up and tweets "Hey I looked outside, I saw the sun, and I saw this beautiful blue sky" you'd have everyone rushing to say "It was overcast!" "the sun wasn't out it was partly cloudy!" "THE SKY ISN'T BLUE!!!!" "If the sky was blue then it's racist!!!!" ....it's unbelievable and unless the Dems tone it down they're never going to beat Trump.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who will beat him? Hillary? Bernie? Joe Biden? LOL.

Trump has the economy humming, he allowed the military to hammer the dog shit out of ISIS and Al Qaeda, he's not getting us involved in other wars, he's got black and hispanic unemployment to HISTORIC lows, next year the tax cuts kick in so the economy is only going to continue improving, he's brought back jobs that Obama told people weren't coming back, he pardoned Jack Johnson which is not something that he had to do but he did it anyway because it was deserved, he moved the Embassy to Jerusalem as many previous Presidents had promised to do he just fucking up and did it.

Dude, if you don't like Trump I hate to tell you, he's here for a while and he may end up doing so well that Pence or Pompeo ends up getting elected on the back of 2 successful terms, granted he'll have to avoid scandals which tend to creep into most campaigns in the second term, but so far so good as far as I can tell. He's promising, he's delivering, and he's driving the media completely insane and you do not understand how many people enjoy that alone after 8 years of them worshiping every little thing Obama did, they deserve to be treated like the snakes they are.

How is Trump racist?
    How is Trump sexist?
    What has he lied about?
    Petty? Yeah but the media can be exceptionally petty, he punches back and it's brilliant to see, the last guy who ever punched back or had to was Reagan.

Trump's approval rating is not horrible considering that the media's coverage of him is 91%+ Negative.......dude is getting hammered 24/7/365 and yet he's STILL getting some decent numbers and getting people like Kanye West to risk their fandoms for supporting him.

Regardless of personal feelings about Trump good or bad he's an absolute game changer in the world of politics. He never seems to be caught off guard even at the debates and on the fly, he speaks off the cuff which compared to any traditional politician he blows them out of the water, he can effectively communicate to large crowds and make them feel like he's speaking to each person individually.

Donald Trump has Democrats defending MS-13.....bruh.....defending MS-13 over our American citizens......that's not a battle Democrats can win. He has Democrats admitting "We'll raise your taxes!" again not a battle they're going to win. If Donald Trump wakes up and tweets "Hey I looked outside, I saw the sun, and I saw this beautiful blue sky" you'd have everyone rushing to say "It was overcast!" "the sun wasn't out it was partly cloudy!" "THE SKY ISN'T BLUE!!!!" "If the sky was blue then it's racist!!!!" ....it's unbelievable and unless the Dems tone it down they're never going to beat Trump.

I don't necessarily want a Democrat to win. Like I said, in the giant fish tank of the GOP, where debates had to be scrolled into two separate events, there had to be ONE candidate who could do the job and not be the insufferable asshole Trump is.

The economy. I think we both know that Trump can take some of the credit, but cannot take ALL of the credit. Economies rise and fall due to many factors, among which of course are the decisions a President/government makes. But an already improving economy will continue to improve with some inertia, unless someone REALLY f*cks up, and that takes some doing. Economies normally do not do an 180° screeching halt and turn because "X" replaced "Y" as President. Unemployment is low in general, not just Hispanics and blacks..... and of course that's a good thing. I'm not gonna say it's not. His corporate tax cuts were well needed and one of his better moves as President, just so you'll see I'm not just hating for the sake of hating. Jack Johnson I couldn't give three shits about.... and if that sounds insensitive, it's because I immediately raised an eyebrow at Trump doing the pardoning and under what circumstances. It's a bullshit, token move..... and means less than nothing in the overall scheme of things. Pardon Johnson..... continue to do nothing for racial tensions. Great.

But as long as we're talking pardoning....... how the HELL does Trump get away with pardoning Joe Arpaio?? And you want to claim Trump isn't racist? C'mon Lyle. Let's agree on what he does good..... but let's also agree when he f*cks up. There was ZERO reason for Trump to pardon this racist jerk....... NONE, ZILCH, NADA. What was the motive? To poke someone in the eye? Because that's something Trump can't seem to resist. Joe Arpaio had a laundry list a mile long involving racial profiling, abuse of power, unlawful enforcement of immigration laws..... you name it. His being convicted in 2017 was a brief reprieve in the minds of many Latinos in the SW United States, before Trump saw fit to pardon him a f*cking month later. Was there really a need to do that? Was there any other motivation than to stick it to millions of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans?

I wouldn't brag about Kanye West's support. The guy is a Class A moron, and I would want him as far away from me as possible if I was in politics.

About speaking off the cuff and addressing the public, we probably see it a little differently. He only has one speaking mode. It serves him well in some situations..... not so well in others. Trump's style is one-size-fits-all, which is, IMO, not the way to be when you're the President of the most powerful nation in the world. He comes off like a perverted used car salesman, and many foreign dignitaries are put off by that. Maybe you'd say "to hell with foreign dignitaries", but unfortunately, we don't live in a vacuum. It's not the U.S. and a bunch of tiny little powerless nations below it. There's a bit more parity in the world now. Just like in major team sports. Parity means you always have to respect your next opponent.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is interesting the question of a president pardoning himself. The question has been running around the press since day one of trumps election so he answered it. I don’t see it as a big deal. Constitutionally I don’t see why he couldn’t, I don’t believe there are limitations on presidential pardon powers in the federal realm. Shit I’d do it today if I could

El Kabong Guest

If Hillary Is Indicted, President Clinton Could Pardon Herself and Congress Might be Helpless
    https://lawandcrime.com/opinion/if-h...t-be-helpless/

Now that is MMMM....MMMMM...Good

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Presidential pardons should be done away with altogether. They do more harm than good, and are actually a useless, pointless privilege.

That's why we have a Justice System, and heaven knows the President's attention needs to be focused on slightly more important things, like running the country.

El Kabong Guest

Presidential pardons should be done away with altogether. They do more harm than good, and are actually a useless, pointless privilege.

That's why we have a Justice System, and heaven knows the President's attention needs to be focused on slightly more important things, like running the country.
    Meh, I think they can be good in certain cases. For example...

Trump pardons former Navy sailor convicted of retaining submarine pictures in case that drew comparisons to Clinton
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6c220ad0031e

If Hillary ain't going to be charged much less go to prison for what she did that was wrong (and let's be honest, she knew damned well it was wrong) then a sailor shouldn't be punished for taking a couple pictures aboard a submarine.

Mostly they are very political, but I think that deserved a pardon and I'm happy with it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh, I think they can be good in certain cases. For example...

Trump pardons former Navy sailor convicted of retaining submarine pictures in case that drew comparisons to Clinton
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6c220ad0031e

If Hillary ain't going to be charged much less go to prison for what she did that was wrong (and let's be honest, she knew damned well it was wrong) then a sailor shouldn't be punished for taking a couple pictures aboard a submarine.

Mostly they are very political, but I think that deserved a pardon and I'm happy with it.

The "good" ones are a very small percentage, IMO. Mostly it's overused, many times without real need, and many more times with the purposes of sending political messages.
    It's not about the bloke being pardoned, it's about poking a finger in someone else's eye.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way tits, it’s in the constitution for a reason. Founding fathers put it in period. I don’t agree with everyone that presidents pardon, Obama’s had a shitload, hundreds, trumpster has what four so far.

The development of the use of the pardon power reflects its several purposes. One purpose is to temper justice with mercy in appropriate cases, and to do justice if new or mitigating evidence comes to bear on a person who may have been wrongfully convicted. Alexander Hamilton reflects this in The Federalist No. 74, in which he argues that "humanity and good policy" require that "the benign prerogative of pardoning" was necessary to mitigate the harsh justice of the criminal code. The pardon power would provide for "exceptions in favor of unfortunate guilt."

Now granted it is not always used for these reasons but it is still a vital power
    Last edited by walrus; 06-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

No way tits, it’s in the constitution for a reason. Founding fathers put it in period. I don’t agree with everyone that presidents pardon, Obama’s had a shitload, hundreds, trumpster has what four so far.

So we let Trump catch up with Obama, and then do away with it? No disrespect to anybody..... but like everything else Constitutional, the Founding Fathers put that in well over 200 years ago. Different country..... different needs. I doubt George Washington abused his pardoning powers with every Tom, Dick and Harry he felt he could thumb his nose at the opposition with.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

So we let Trump catch up with Obama, and then do away with it? No disrespect to anybody..... but like everything else Constitutional, the Founding Fathers put that in well over 200 years ago. Different country..... different needs. I doubt George Washington abused his pardoning powers with every Tom, Dick and Harry he felt he could thumb his nose at the opposition with.
    absolutely not, trump can catch up and or pass Obama. Yes it was 200 years ago but those dudes weren’t thinking just short term. I find your whole attitude very disrespectful

Thread Information