Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fists are sore from hard training from a week ago

My Fists are sore, and I tried to box today and my fists hurt to punch the punching bag Now. The thing is, should I take a long break from boxing, or should I keep punching the punching bag until my fists start to adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re:Fists are sore from hard training from a week ago

something similar happened 2 me, but it was with my wrist...i didn't spar or hit the bag till it stopped hurting, but i still shadow boxed and did other things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That has never happened to me, but if it did, I'd stop til they quit hurting and keep shadowboxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

remember to wrap your hands and wrists properly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i wrapped up my hands, gloves and i was hittin the bag

day after had some nice bruises and swelling... they went down in a day... i suggest just resting them... and shadowboxing

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was Larry Holmes I think who ended up gun shy because of painfull hands off the heavy bag work.
    It actually effected his ring work ,so he re thought things and went with a smaller bag and got all his crack back in his punches.
    *Worth a thought. (why let your training adversley effect your real time fighting?)
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right there Andre, even now Holmes still uses a 75lb bag, with a quarter of the stuffing taken out. I think it's a good idea, and I also believe that a lighter bag will not compromise speed, or hand safety. The best safety is proper technique, and secondly the equipment you use.

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm...so using a 100lb bag as a beginner (145 lbs 5'10) isn't a good idea?

El Kabong Guest

I use a 100 pound bag but it's soft...the 75 pounders we have at my gym are hard and when I hit those I don't usually put everything into my shots, I try to hit with form and speed. With the 100 pound bag I can hammer it all day with wraps and gloves and I'm fine...hitting the hard bag makes my hands hurt less when I spar, I guess by comparison a face is softer than all that sand or buckwheat or whatever in the hard ass bags at my gym

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fists are sore from hard training from a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTheLegend
    My Fists are sore, and I tried to box today and my fists hurt to punch the punching bag Now. Â The thing is, should I take a long break from boxing, or should I keep punching the punching bag until my fists start to adjust. Â
    Just don't do anything until your fists get better, and when you're pretty sure they are better, start off light to make sure. I once had a problem with my wrists, and I couldn't punch the bag. Well, after about a week later, they started feeling better, so I went at it on the bag. For the 1st round everything went alright, but after about 30 seconds of the 2nd, they started hurting again! It turned out my wrists weren't as healed as I had thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I use a 100 pound bag but it's soft...the 75 pounders we have at my gym are hard and when I hit those I don't usually put everything into my shots, I try to hit with form and speed. With the 100 pound bag I can hammer it all day with wraps and gloves and I'm fine...hitting the hard bag makes my hands hurt less when I spar, I guess by comparison a face is softer than all that sand or buckwheat or whatever in the hard ass bags at my gym

I wonder how hard a water bag is compared to a persons face...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    i wrapped up my hands, gloves and i was hittin the bag

day after had some nice bruises and swelling... they went down in a day... i suggest just resting them... and shadowboxing
    check out better RE: thicker bag gloves, the first crap pair I bought took the skin off my knuckles.
    Look for alternate ways of wrapping your hands, most ways I've seen are RUBBISH and give NO support to the finger joints - I'll try and find picture.
    The way I was shown - because my hands were also hurting was standard enough but you folded the bandage back and forth a few times over the knuckle so you build it up- like you've seen pro's hands. Some guys also place thick foam under their bandages as well.

The joints in your hands can take some time to get used to the impact but when you are properly taped and have a solid glove you should feel like you can punch through walls.

You also need to check your technique

For now you MUST rest your hands no hitting anything! or it will take even longer to get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll speak from experience on this one. 5X's broke metacarpal in left hand, 3X's surgery right hand = long layoff. Made my pro debut in 2000, had hand problems during training for my next fight and almost 5 years later I'm just starting to train for my next fight. Wait until your hands are not hurting any more, wrap your hands good, get a pair of 14/16 oz. bag gloves. If u ever have a chance to hit a foam/water or water bag then do so. LISTEN TO YOUR HANDS, if they are hurt give them time to heal.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by silent assassin
    I'll speak from experience on this one.  5X's broke metacarpal in left hand, 3X's surgery right hand = long layoff.  Made my pro debut in 2000, had hand problems during training for my next fight and almost 5 years later I'm just starting to train for my next fight.   Wait until your hands are not hurting any more, wrap your hands good, get a pair of 14/16 oz. bag gloves.  If u ever have a chance to hit a foam/water or water bag then do so.   LISTEN TO YOUR HANDS, if they are hurt give them time to heal.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Christ i thought something dodgy was going on in here when i read the thread title..
    Appolagies

Thread Information