Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Danny Garcia v Jose Benavidez

After a lengthy hiatus, Danny Garcia will fight Jose Benavidez live from Brooklyn, New York’s Barclays Center.

On Saturday, two-division world champion Danny Garcia makes his 19-month comeback. And he’ll do it at a new weight when he faces Jose Benavidez Jr. in his junior middleweight debut.

Garcia, a former unified junior welterweight champion and WBC welterweight champion, last competed in December against Errol Spence Jr., who is now holding three 147-pound belts.

Garcia is now focused on a new division and a different group of rivals. Beginning on Saturday is David Benavidez’s brother, a former two-time WBC super middleweight champion.

Former welterweight championship contender Benavidez was defeated by WBO champion Terence Crawford in the 12th round of their fight. Since then, he has only fought once, losing to Francisco Emanuel Torres in his 154-pound debut by decision.

As he gets closer to his super welterweight fight against two-division world champion Danny “Swift” Garcia, exciting contender Jose Benavidez Jr. demonstrated his skills during a media workout at his family’s gym in Seattle on Thursday.

In the co-main event of the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING tripleheader, Polish superstar and Brooklyn’s all-action Adam Kownacki will face Turkish Olympian Ali Eren Demirezen. In the program opener, unbeaten rising star Gary Antuanne Russell will face former two-division champion, Rances Barthelemy.

At the media workout on Thursday, Benavidez was joined by his brother David, a two-time super middleweight world champion, as well as his father and trainer Jose Benavidez Sr. Here is what he had to say on Thursday:

“I feel great. I’m stronger than ever and I’m ready to pull off this upset. There are some people who are doubting me, but I know that I’m going to be the guy that gets the win that night.

“Danny Garcia is a great fighter. I know his dad said some stuff about me, but I don’t let any of that get to me. I got nothing but respect for Danny. I’m going to let my hands do the talking.

“My preparation right now has been great. I’m extremely motivated. David is here along with my dad, and he’s been able to show me things from outside of the ring that I don’t see. Make sure you come out or tune in on July 30. This is going to be a war and I’m going to put on a show.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...2699f131a4af88
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny Garcia v Jose Benavidez

BOXER Danny Garcia says he already has the advantage over Jose Benavidez - thanks to his eleven toes.

The American is days away from his huge middleweight clash after a 19 month break.

The 34-year-old is making his debut at this weight division in Brooklyn - and is hoping his extra toe could give him the edge.

He showed off his additional body part in a 2015 video and spoke about it again in the days leading up to this fight.

Garcia told TMZ: "I'm gonna keep showing it off because when I was a kid, I was ashamed of it.

"Now, I'm somebody. That six-toe brought me a long way."

"I already got the advantage. I got an extra body part. He's gonna need an extra arm to beat me."

He adds of his preparation for the fight: "It was tough in the beginning but the way I've been sparring, the way I've been training, the way I've been running ... everything is stronger and faster."

Garcia has not fought since December 2020 when he lost in a unanimous points decision to Errol Spence Jr.

Spence had only 14 months earlier been involved in a high-speed car crash near Dallas.

It left Garcia's record at 36 wins and 3 losses, with one of his most memorable victories coming when he knocked out Brit boxer Amir Khan in 2012.

His opponent Benavidez meanwhile boasts 27 wins, a single loss and a single draw in his career.

The 30-year-old is looking to pull off an upset at the Barclays Centre in New York on Saturday.

He is the older brother of former two-time super middleweight champion David Benavidez and is looking to bounce back after an underwhelming draw against Francisco Torres.

That clash in November 2021 was his first bout in over three years.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19319...oes-benavidez/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mauricio herrera was robbed against both of these guys
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to get my head around this one. Basically Danny moved up and spent 5 years being a flashier dressed Porter with less personality and a natural wrestler promo heel in his Pop. His pop didn't carry to 147 so can't imagine so at 154 but Benavidez is there to get got.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I swear it looks like Gary Antuanne Russell has watched a lot of Shawn Porter. Barthelemy putting some awkward power shots on him in 1st. Rocked him. Kownacki is the main event oof

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have Barthelemy about 2-1 but in and out here missed a round. sharper well timed left finds Russell more than a few times 4th. Good clip by Russell at rounds end

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh Ranced dropped hard in 6th, up and ref waves it off . Corner going nutty. What was that ref

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard right off the forehead, up at 4, takes walk totally stable and faces ref who takes gloves, wipes them off and then just flat fookin stops it

That was a whole different type of robbery. Complete terrible stoppage

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why officials need to be held responsible live and made accountable. Ref dodges interview with Jim Gray right off. Russell's a good dude and kd was big but two in a row with pretty questionable stoppages. He's a world class fighter not some obscure padding work "matter of time"

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evening chaps.

This is shaping up to be a really good fight here. (Main event.)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benavidez now just plodding forward and not throwing nearly enough. Making Garcia look good. Unless Garcia walks into something it's going to be an easy points win for him. The first few rounds were much more competitive.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benavidez did much better in the ninth and won the round but couldn't keep it going to full round.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first few rounds were better than I expected. The rest of it was pretty much what I expected. Benavidez looked a really good prospect and I thought he'd have an elite career but he's pretty much done now. Need to see Garcia against somebody at the top of the division but while Charlo is still in the division he isn't going to win a belt.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

gary antuanne russell gets his second suspect stoppage in a row. i like what i see but are they trying to fudge that knockout rate? female judge scores danny v jose a draw? danny won wide. he looked fluid & quick but the pop is not there at one fifty four. jose was never the same after getting shot. ali eren demirezen & adam kownacki threw a whole bunch of punches. entertaining stuff. ali is just a better fighter
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Danny is too small at 154 and not nearly athletic enough. At 140 he was a fundamentally sound counter puncher with decent size and good power in his left hook. At 147 he was a smallish counter puncher who still had good technique but was not athletic enough to beat the elite of the weight class. At 154 he’s going to be destroyed by second tier fighters- Benavides looked huge compared to Danny and has slipped significantly since his fight vs Crawford (when he could be considered second or third tier). Charlo destroys him and likely ends his career- that one would be ugly.

Thread Information