Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sharla's New Log - Attempting to Avoid Becoming A Slovenly Pig

Thanks Andre

We're pretty happy despite the fact I now weigh 78 kgs when I used to weigh under 60 and I know at some stage I'll have to get a watermelon out of something that's usually closer to the size of a grape!

I'm actually really impressed by pregnancy vitamins - when you think about it they are designed to not only sustain an adult woman while lactating but also help to develop a little human being inside her.

I did take some fish oil along with my pregnancy vitamins for a while but found out I was effectively double dosing so I stopped. I haven't felt a lot of knee pain since being pregnant and I think it could be partly because of the vitamins - including their fish oil content.

I wonder how long I can get away with taking them after I finish lactating . Preggers vitamins are maybe not something you would want to take for your knee though!

Another possible benefit related to pregnancy could be the increased blood circulation. A woman I work with actually had improved eye sight when she got pregnant because the shape of her corneas was improved by the increased blood flow. Luckily her eye sight has not degenerated back to it's original level since child birth even though her youngest is a few years old!

Cartilage does not heal though - so I don't expect any pregnancy knee healing miracles - just benefits from having better understanding and management. I'm happy with that as it's not really that restrictive - it forces me to expand my horizons a little rather than just to running because it's so easy, cheap and convenient.

It sounds like you are managing your knee well though Andre - to go from needing a new knee to not waking up in pain! Well done

So do you have cartilage damage too? By new knee what exactly were they suggesting? A joint replacement like what is more common for hips? Sounds serious!

I can see how the chiro would help. I've never heard of the vibrating frequency adjuster. I've had a chiro use a massage machine to loosen up my back before making adjustments. I have good impressions of exercising on machines with a vibrating platform to strengthen all those small but very important stabilising muscles. Is what your chiro used anything like either of those?

With my current belly heavy weight distribution I don't think I can work much on my posture except for a few preggers pilates classes but after I've popped I do want to work on that.

I have been trying to understand running technique better and figured out that I don't recruit my gluteals enough when I run and tend to drop my hips - one side more than the other. I can recommend a good e-book that explains it all very well in case anyone is interested:
    Running Technique Book | Understanding and training for good running technique and form

Training the correct technique for movements that have to become automatic is tricky. With running technique I think that is the hard part - anyone can strengthen a muscle but learning to use it correctly without having to think about it is much harder. I may have to look at some of Scraps threads for ideas.

I think to make the most of chiro treatments etc I'm going to have to try to improve my movement patterns. I want to know I'm not paying a chiro to continually put bandaids on a problem just to have me start to undo their good work as soon as I walk out of their office.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And when you find Scrap's old posts, please link them so we can put them back in the Important/Useful section.

Great to see you back Sharla, and congrats on the baby on the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Youngblood

I will definitely link to Scraps threads as I dig them up again - can't lose them! Those threads make you realise there is a lot more to it all that you need to understand without dumbing it down and just giving you all the answers - they are dangerously addictive!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hi Sharla
    I tried to PM you but unfortunately not enough posts.

I've just realised you are training in Adelaide. Wondering if you could help me out.

I am really keen to compete. However, I dont wanna get involved in politic. My club is not a member of BSA. Is there any chance I could do some interclub sparring?

Pls email me and let me know what should I do
    my email adress: robin.run@gmail.com
    A million thanks
    Robin

Thread Information