22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 3 reasons why Donaire will flatten Rigondeaux April 13th

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'm surprised that so many are picking Donaire over Rigo. I'm not so sure. I favor Donaire based on experience and flash, but I have to wonder, would Rigo have lost to any of the guys Donaire beat?

I'm gonna turn this around and ask another question. Has Rigo fought even 1/10th the quality and "who's who" of opponents Donaire has faced and beaten.... as a pro? IMO, the answer is "no". I'm all up for seeing a good fight, which I'm sure we will. But having an 11-fight pro billed as an overnight sensation and a threat to someone arguably in the top 3 current p4p rankings, is slightly odd.
    The thing is Rigon might be better then his 11-0 record as a Pro would indicate, but I kind of doubt it. I haven't see anything in Rigon's 3 or 4 Pro fights that i've watched, against mediocre competition, that tells me he's on the same level as Donaire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rigondeaux wins a decision here. Both Vic and Montiel were careless, Rigondeaux has been around a lot longer than his professional record indicates.
    There is still something about Donaire that doesn't quite gel with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There aren't 3 reasons he will flatten Rigondeux, only one - the left hook.

Can't decide who I reckon will win. From what I've seen Rigo is a better boxer on the outside. He has great sense of distance, very precise, and doesn't get tagged flush much. But he'll have to knock donaire out to win, because even if he outboxes donaire over 12 rounds, his cautious style probably means donaire is seen as pushing the action and so gets the nod from the judges.

If Donaire didn't have the big left hook, I'd come down off the fence onto Rigo's side. He probably won't get caught with it from a direct attack by Donaire, but I can see Rigo getting caught by a counter left hook when he throws his own left to the body and leaves his face hanging out unprotected (like donaire's ko of darchinyan).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bestjabwins View Post

Can't decide who I reckon will win. From what I've seen Rigo is a better boxer on the outside. He has great sense of distance, very precise, and doesn't get tagged flush much. But he'll have to knock donaire out to win, because even if he outboxes donaire over 12 rounds, his cautious style probably means donaire is seen as pushing the action and so gets the nod from the judges.

If Donaire didn't have the big left hook, I'd come down off the fence onto Rigo's side. He probably won't get caught with it from a direct attack by Donaire, but I can see Rigo getting caught by a counter left hook when he throws his own left to the body and leaves his face hanging out unprotected (like donaire's ko of darchinyan).
    There's a lot more to Donaire's game then just the left hook, aside from Mayweather, at the moment he's the best P4P fighter in the world. It seems like many are giving Rigon way to much credit for what has primarily been a career as a Cuban amateur. I honestly don't get it, it makes no difference how long Rigon has been fighting, there's a huge difference between fighting 3 rounders against kids, and moving up to the Pro ranks and facing one of the best P4P fighters in the world.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Donaire vs. Rigondeaux - Saturday night fight/chat thread

After watching Rigondeaux get wobbled twice last time out I remember thinking "Donaire sparks him if they ever do fight" and I'm still thinking the same thing. Even if it goes to points I think Donaire does more offensively in the fight and wins a UD.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'm surprised that so many are picking Donaire over Rigo. I'm not so sure. I favor Donaire based on experience and flash, but I have to wonder, would Rigo have lost to any of the guys Donaire beat?

I'm gonna turn this around and ask another question. Has Rigo fought even 1/10th the quality and "who's who" of opponents Donaire has faced and beaten.... as a pro? IMO, the answer is "no". I'm all up for seeing a good fight, which I'm sure we will. But having an 11-fight pro billed as an overnight sensation and a threat to someone arguably in the top 3 current p4p rankings, is slightly odd.
    The thing is Rigon might be better then his 11-0 record as a Pro would indicate, but I kind of doubt it. I haven't see anything in Rigon's 3 or 4 Pro fights that i've watched, against mediocre competition, that tells me he's on the same level as Donaire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    After watching Rigondeaux get wobbled twice last time out I remember thinking "Donaire sparks him if they ever do fight" and I'm still thinking the same thing. Even if it goes to points I think Donaire does more offensively in the fight and wins a UD.
    You three could very well be correct, but I can still see Donaire being pushed here. In my opinion, Rigo is the second best junior featherweight, including Mares.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't wait, can't wait, if this fight doesn't go the way I think it will, it will be a bigger surprise, to me, than the the way the last Marquez vs Pacquiao fight finished.
    Last edited by beenKOed; 04-08-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bestjabwins View Post

There's a lot more to Donaire's game then just the left hook, aside from Mayweather, at the moment he's the best P4P fighter in the world. It seems like many are giving Rigon way to much credit for what has primarily been a career as a Cuban amateur. I honestly don't get it, it makes no difference how long Rigon has been fighting, there's a huge difference between fighting 3 rounders against kids, and moving up to the Pro ranks and facing one of the best P4P fighters in the world.
    There is more to his game but you have to admit, this is the punch you are expecting will 'flatten' rigondeux. He's in love with his left hook and power, and make no mistake, if Rigondeux gets a proper taste of it he'll be KTFO or running for the rest of the fight. But I still think Donaire is relying too much on his power and left hook.

Donaire the best P4P fighter after Mayweather ? Not for me, not yet. Firstly, he'll have to start beating elite level fighters that aren't smaller than him before giving him credit for being able to mythically beat all people at every other weight. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Donaire hater. I think he's dangerous with great potential but I don't think he has definitively proven his standing yet.

I hear what you are saying about a few people hyping Rigo's Olympic pedigree. But I've never put any stock in that, in fact I think one of Rigo's weaknesses is that he seems to drift out of a fight after the halfway mark of a pro fight, where a top level amateur bout might end. Its just that having only watched his professional fights it seems obvious to me his skills are way above average. He's not the type of fighter that is tailor made for Donaire. Donaire gets frustrated when other fighters don't stand in front of him or engage.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just found out this is on Box Nation Rigondeaux is good but Donaire is better.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cordoba was a very good fighter. Ramos was supposed to be good

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People here seem pretty clueless about how much skills transfer from Amateur to pro boxing, hence why most of the best ever pros have had good amateur careers. Considering that Rigondeaux is in my opinion the best amateur boxer ever I think he will give anyone in the pros a good fight.

Im picking Donaire to win this by KO but I would not be suprised if Rigo won. He is the best counter puncher i have seen in a long time and if he connects a few big shots early Donaire could start getting scared to throw.

Another thing i find strange with comments here is talking of level of opponents. Donaire hasnt fought that many brilliant fighters. Arce, Nishioka, Mathubela, Montiel are all good fighters but none i would consider great. Vasquez just got beaten by an unknown Jap who had heart but was nothing special. I think Rigo would beat any of these fighters too.

I dont care who wins and just hope its a great fight

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way Donaire has beaten his opponents and fighting so frequently I think he is the best fighter 2012.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ahhh the good ole quantity vs quality question. Well lets begin with the fact that Donaire has pretty much been the much bigger man in his fights even though on paper it was he who was moving up.
    You can go as far back as Sydorenko. It looked like he was fighting some grade 6 kid. Now I agree that the amateurs and pro are almost like two different sports and that the pedigree gained from it does not as a rule translate to the pros but sometimes it does. In addition it may be that a guy like Rigo has brought some bad habits with him from the amateurs however after some 400 fights I think its fair to say that he has seen a litany of different styles. Rigo has been waiting for this moment since he left Cuba and unlike some other Cubans he seems to have a sense or urgency. And who can blame him. Manny, Donaire, Gamboa and other stablemates from Top Rank have taken most of the attention. Rigo views this as his time and Donaire to me seems like he's been coasting and getting a little high on his fame. I'd be very surprised if this was a blow out but do I think it will end dramatically.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    @Master - You lot across the pond should check this one out live, I believe it would worth it.

cheers

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    @Master - You lot across the pond should check this one out live, I believe it would worth it.

cheers
    I will now that I know it is on, looked at the under card and it looks good.

Thread Information