Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it Frotch or Frock?

Froch didn't overachieve to me, he was much better than I thought, I picked everyone to beat him from the leisure centre days (no live TV). We thought he was doing the worst Roy impression ever but in fact his hero was Naz. I kid you not. He was trying to do Naz. And as Memphis said, he eventually found his style (imagine he didn't have that iron head?).

My favourite Froch fight was the Aussie sheep farmer snapping his neck back all night for the Commonwealth title. And taking the piss out of the small number of Froch groupies who claimed Calzaghe was ducking him.

However, credit where it's due, his groupies were right, his run from Pascal to Groves is stronger than most HOF-ers.
    Last edited by Fenster; 05-06-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    And he has a point regarding that list, he beat/fought much stronger competition than most of that list.
    Absolutely.

Froch could never be accused of ducking anyone, because he was/is, genuinely convinced that he could beat everyone.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    And he has a point regarding that list, he beat/fought much stronger competition than most of that list.
    Absolutely.

Froch could never be accused of ducking anyone, because he was/is, genuinely convinced that he could beat everyone.
    Sorry, I’ve got to take issue with that. He refused to entertain the idea of fighting DeGale , (mandatory at the time) Ward, Golovkin , and insisted that he would only fight Chavez in Vegas . When that didn’t materialise, he duly retired.
    And to cap it all, 3 days AFTER retiring , he goes on Twitter with a picture of his exposed torso and says “too big and tough for GGG!”
    FACT
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Absolutely.

Sorry, I’ve got to take issue with that. He refused to entertain the idea of fighting DeGale , (mandatory at the time) Ward, Golovkin , and insisted that he would only fight Chavez in Vegas . When that didn’t materialise, he duly retired.
    And to cap it all, 3 days AFTER retiring , he goes on Twitter with a picture of his exposed torso and says “too big and tough for GGG!”
    FACT
    That was at the end of his career and he was trying to make some big money before retiring. Joe Calzaghe did the same type of thing and should not be penalised for that.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This forum has always been more American-centric than British. Speaking of Froch, 90% of the forum had zero interest until he rocked up in America to get mullered by Taylor. Like every British fighter those days he was a "bum," "protected," "padded Euro record." And he has a point regarding that list, he beat/fought much stronger competition than most of that list.
    For a few years early on I thought it was straight out of Manila . Fighters have to start somewhere and strive for bigger recognition. I slagged on Calazaghe a hundreds time more than Froch though calling a fighter a bum before he gets a chance on a huge stage is always ignit. As we've seen the Global 'face' of the sport has massively expanded.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This forum has always been more American-centric than British. Speaking of Froch, 90% of the forum had zero interest until he rocked up in America to get mullered by Taylor. Like every British fighter those days he was a "bum," "protected," "padded Euro record." And he has a point regarding that list, he beat/fought much stronger competition than most of that list.
    For a few years early on I thought it was straight out of Manila . Fighters have to start somewhere and strive for bigger recognition. I slagged on Calazaghe a hundreds time more than Froch though calling a fighter a bum before he gets a chance on a huge stage is always ignit. As we've seen the Global 'face' of the sport has massively expanded.
    Exactly. The good thing about modern American fans (ignoring weirdo LBDC/PBC race baiters) is they understand boxing is a global sport. The old American pundits/journos/fans were so nationalistic and frankly racist it was shocking. Many former great blokes on here believed if it wasn't in America it didn't count. Remember old CutMeMick telling me - "America is the Oscars of boxing, it doesn't matter unless it happens here." How quickly times change.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cutmemick also told us if you didn't paint your nails and pretend to type gibberish to illustrate that you had a wine cooler with dinner it didn't count...He didn't know shit about boxing either.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m actually glad that there are Brits around here because it helps me get to know fighters better. I wish that the US had more of a local following like other countries do.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Absolutely.

FACT
    That was at the end of his career and he was trying to make some big money before retiring. Joe Calzaghe did the same type of thing and should not be penalised for that.
    Nah, bollocks mate. If you’re coming to the end of your career and want to make some big dosh, great! But you cannot wear that “never ducked anyone” badge.
    And besides, after Groves 2, the money he would’ve made fighting DeGale , GGG or Ward, would not be any less than he woulda got for fighting Chavez.
    It’s just that Chavez was the easier fight. So DO NOT give me any of that “fight anyone” bollocks.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Cutmemick also told us if you didn't paint your nails and pretend to type gibberish to illustrate that you had a wine cooler with dinner it didn't count...He didn't know shit about boxing either.
    This is true but everyone's 2nd favourite poster - behind Wacko - and prolific LA boxer stalker (before Elie Seckbach) held clout. He forced me to infiltrate media archives to produce evidence that Marquez had turned down several offers to face Naz. After I provided bombproof evidence he rebutted with something Larry Merchant said on HBO. Boxing fans have always been a different breed.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m actually glad that there are Brits around here because it helps me get to know fighters better. I wish that the US had more of a local following like other countries do.
    To be fair most Brit fans are just as mental as Americans and Canadians, Aussies, Filipinos, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. And Irish. And Danes (Mikkel Kessler fans were tribal)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    How do you properly pronouce Carl Froch's last name, is it Frotch as in crotch, or is it Frock as in cock?
    Frotch

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Absolutely.

FACT
    Nah, bollocks mate. If you’re coming to the end of your career and want to make some big dosh, great! But you cannot wear that “never ducked anyone” badge.
    And besides, after Groves 2, the money he would’ve made fighting DeGale , GGG or Ward, would not be any less than he woulda got for fighting Chavez.
    It’s just that Chavez was the easier fight. So DO NOT give me any of that “fight anyone” bollocks.
    The fact that he did not fight anyone after Groves demonstrates that he did not duck anyone as he did not fight again. If he did take on Chavez then you could say he ducked De Gale, Ward, GGG et al but he did not.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely.

FACT
    I have no problem with that, not many fighters in this business were fighting the best of the best till the retirement, like Bernard or Wlad, but Carl came close to that. I rather agree with Powerpuncher that he overachieved, I felt he was more than lucky to get the decision in the fight against Dirrell, he was outboxed in the most of the rounds by JT and he was on par with an old Glen Johnson. He was a tough motherfucker though, great chin, good stamina and I give him 10 out of ten for mental strength.
    He was was also smart enough to not take on GGG or DeGale.
    Last edited by iwng100; 05-09-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Thread Information