Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Steve Collins: The Forgotten Warrior

I'll fight him [Roy Jones] in a phone box in front of two men and a dog.
    --Steve Collins

...it's like having your teeth broken...Yeah, sickening. That's what it felt like, it was sickening....you feel the searing pain, then it's gone in an instant.
    -- Collins describing what it's like being hit by Nigel Benn

With the shocking descent of Roy Jones Jr. over the past five years (5-5-0 since 2004), it's perhaps timely to look back at the "Celtic Warrior" and his uncommon body of work. After all, a fight between the two could never get made back in the day but in retrospect, it may well have involved Collins giving a prime Jones all he could handle.

Steve Collins fought from 1986 through 1997 and retired with a 36-3 record. What most fans don't realize is that he won his last 15 fights in a row, 11 by stoppage. Even more impressive is that this iron-chinned Irishman from Dublin retired as WBO super middleweight title holder, something very few champions ever accomplish.

Among his early victims were Sam Storey (for the Irish Middleweight Title), rugged Tony "The Fighting Postman" Thornton and Kevin "Killer" Watts (for the USBA Middleweight Title.) His first loss was against future Hall of Fame inductee Mike McCallum in 1990 for the WBA Middleweight Title. It was one that I saw live at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston; in fact, I saw him fight many times as he did most of his early work in the Boston area. After losing to the "Body Snatcher," he won 5 straight before dropping a razor thin and controversial MD to Reggie Johnson and a close UD to Sumbu Kalambay both in 1992. He rebounded by winning the WBA Penta-Continental Middleweight Title in 1993 by knocking out South African Gerhard Botes.

Finally, after relocating to England from Boston, he won the WBO Middleweight Title with a KO over the very capable Chris Pyatt (42-3) in 1994. He then would close out his career as he continued the aforementioned streak of wins. Incredibly during this run, he fought and beat Chris Eubank twice in succession in 1995. Eubank was 41-0-2 coming into the first fight. A year later, he stopped Nigel Benn two times in a row. Benn was 42-3-1 at the time of the first duke. While Admittedly, both opponents were past their prime, what the Celtic Warrior accomplished has to be considered a remarkable feat given the stature of those two legendary Brits and the fact Collins was defending his crown. Amazingly, he had book-ended his career with 16 wins at the start and 15 at the end--with a beginning and ending TKO as icing on the cake.

Collins, the quintessential professional, toiled in Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, Northern Ireland, France, Italy, Atlantic City, Las Vegas, the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey and, of course, in and around the Boston area. More to the point, he was an extremely tough, iron-chinned, tenacious, and skilled fighter who took on the very best.

When they conduct the International Boxing Hall of Fame ceremonies in the coming years, let's hope this great warrior is not overlooked.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Steve Collins: The Forgotten Warrior

Not the most skilled boxer ever but def one of the thoughest of his time.

Some memorable bouts he had and IMO, I think he would have gave RJJ fits. I've said it time and time again, he would have came forward and gotten RJJ out of his game plan to give him a tough and very winable fight for Collins. I've always said this...

Sadly though the thing that stands out the most about him was his racist remark towards Eubank.
    Would strongly recommend people to see Mind Games:

Also him being in the film Long Stock and 2 Smokin Barrels. He was the door man at the boxing gym and he was also in the U2 video for the song Sweetest Thing.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collins was an honest pro , he lost to McCallum , Kalambay , and Reggie Johnson , all top fighters. He went on to beat a weight drained Eubank twice , some British standard bums , and then a shot Nigel Benn twice.
    So lets not get to carried away , he was good but that's about it , he also retired rather than fight a young upstart named Joe Calzaghe.
    Bold statements about Roy Jones " I'll do this and that " count for nothing , fact is Jones would have torn him a new Asshole .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not the most skilled boxer ever but def one of the toughest of his time.
    that sums him up Mick perfectly

I was devastated when Benn quit twice against Collins - and kind of bitter too towards Collins ! Really wish those fights hadn't happened - or if they had then a couple of years before.

Didn't he get floored by a nobody in his last fight ? Seem to remember him saying he wasnt going to hang around, to get beaten by a lesser fighter, if he couldnt land the dream fights.

Think he deserved a big fight to go out on - though Jones would have won a lopsided UD
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Collins was an honest pro , he lost to McCallum , Kalambay , and Reggie Johnson , all top fighters. He went on to beat a weight drained Eubank twice , some British standard bums , and then a shot Nigel Benn twice.
    So lets not get to carried away , he was good but that's about it , he also retired rather than fight a young upstart named Joe Calzaghe.
    Bold statements about Roy Jones " I'll do this and that " count for nothing , fact is Jones would have torn him a new Asshole .
    Exactly what he said. Good post.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Not the most skilled boxer ever but def one of the thoughest of his time.

Some memorable bouts he had and IMO, I think he would have gave RJJ fits. I've said it time and time again, he would have came forward and gotten RJJ out of his game plan to give him a tough and very winable fight for Collins. I've always said this...

Sadly though the thing that stands out the most about him was his racist remark towards Eubank.
    Would strongly recommend people to see Mind Games:

Also him being in the film Long Stock and 2 Smokin Barrels. He was the door man at the boxing gym and he was also in the U2 video for the song Sweetest Thing.
    Stands out the most? Come on, that wasn't even a big deal back then let alone now. He said something like "Eubank thinks he's an Englishman he forgot his roots"

I bet most people don't even remember/know of it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Steve Collins was a good honest fighter but thats it, he's lucky he retired when he did because RJJ would of dominated him. And more than likely Joe Calzaghe would of beat him aswell.

Nigel Benn was totally shot after the brutal war with Gerald McClellan, and then a damaging loss to Thulani Malinga, and i think if Chris Eubank still had his killer instinct, he would of finished off Steve Collins in the 1st fight. Just like he could of finished off Carl Thompson aswell.

I do think Steve Collins was lucky he got those fights exactly at the right time, but still no one forced Benn/Eubank too take those fights. And Steve Collins legitmately won those fights end of.

I think the fight that most impressed me from Steve Collins, was his fight with Mike McCallum. Although he was outclassed he still gave Mike McCallum quite alot of trouble, and Steve Collins was only a novice at that point.

But yes Steve Collins made the most of his career, and was never embarrassed in any of his losses. I heard he actually retired because he passed out in sparring, and also because of the detatched retina. Or maybe because he avoided Joe Calzaghe, but we'll never know.

But i would like to know about Steve Collins bareknuckle boxing career ? some mate told me he done it, but is it just a rumour ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Howard Eastman sparked him in sparring when he quit.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holmcall. You dropping gems on us huh man? Good article.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Howard Eastman sparked him in sparring when he quit.
    Howard Eastman did have a fair dig

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

I was devastated when Benn quit twice against Collins - and kind of bitter too towards Collins ! Really wish those fights hadn't happened - or if they had then a couple of years before.

Didn't he get floored by a nobody in his last fight ? Seem to remember him saying he wasnt going to hang around, to get beaten by a lesser fighter, if he couldnt land the dream fights.

Think he deserved a big fight to go out on - though Jones would have won a lopsided UD
    Yes, he got floored in his last fight and it enraged him so he then starched the bloke. He did say that as well. He knew when to get out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Holmcall. You dropping gems on us huh man? Good article.

I try....

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post

Yes, he got floored in his last fight and it enraged him so he then starched the bloke. He did say that as well. He knew when to get out.
    I didn't think that was a legit knockdown though ? it was in the opening seconds of the first round, and he slipped and rolled back over, then he floored Craig Cummings later in the round, then gave him a sustained beating for 3 rounds.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post

I didn't think that was a legit knockdown though ? it was in the opening seconds of the first round, and he slipped and rolled back over, then he floored Craig Cummings later in the round, then gave him a sustained beating for 3 rounds.
    Correct you are!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was pissed off with Eubank in their first fight, he had Collins gone, in the 10th I think, it was about 10 seconds before the bell and because the Watson fight robbed him of the finishing touch he stood back and grinned at Collins while his ass sagged through the ropes and he tried to drag himself upright to his feet

I also think that Eubank was a burnt out fighter at that point, look at the schedule leading up to the fight, the amount of rounds he fought and the miles travelled.

1995-03-18Steve CollinsGreen Glens Arena, Millstreet, IrelandUD12121994-12-10
    Henry WhartonG-Mex Leisure Centre, Manchester, Lancashire, United KingdomWUD1212x3
    1994-10-15Dan SchommerSuperbowl, Sun City, North-West, South AfricaWUD1212

1994-08-27168Sam Storey16822-3-0International Arena, Cardiff, Wales, United KingdomWTKO712x3

1994-07-09168Mauricio Amaral Costa16615-1-1Earls Court Exhibition Hall, Kensington, London, United KingdomWUD1212x3
    1994-05-21167¾Ray Close16820-2-1Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United KingdomWSD1212x3
    1994-02-05168Graciano Rocchigiani163¾35-0-0Deutschlandhalle, Charlottenburg, Berlin, GermanyWUD1212
    1993-10-09168Nigel Benn16737-2-0Old Trafford Stadium, Manchester, Lancashire, United KingdomDPTS1212x3

Thread Information