Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Do Canelo and his trainer think he is above the rules?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do Canelo and his trainer think he is above the rules?

Canelo’s Trainer: Roach has gone too far but we are ready to make history | Boxing News | Fightnews

“First of all I want to make it clear that we are not looking past Cotto. He’s an excellent fighter, he’s a puncher and Canelo is a puncher so is going to make for a great fight. But I can tell you one thing, Saul dodges no one. He’s a fighter and he wants to fight the best and Golovkin is one of the best. We are ready to fight anyone, but our fights will be at 155 pounds. Canelo is not ready to be a full-fledged middleweight so if GGG or anyone else wants to fight at 155 pounds we are more than happy to fight them.”

This is completely ridiculous. So what he is saying is that he wants to have the advantage against a light middle because he is too big for the division but will force a middle to cut down to 155? I can understand catch weight fights here and there but how can you just make a firm weight and say you won't fight anyone except for at that weight. That is the whole purpose of weight classes. The difference is 6 pounds. It's not that big of a deal. Canelo is most likely the same size as a lot of middles.

Canelo has tended to fight the best fighters for the most part but this is ridiculous. If you are too big to fight at the light middle limit then you are a middleweight. It's not that difficult to understand.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Do Canelo and his trainer think he is above the rules?

If GGG goes to 155 he'd absolutely RAPE Canelo....sorry but GGG is on another level.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Canelo’s Trainer: Roach has gone too far but we are ready to make history | Boxing News | Fightnews

“First of all I want to make it clear that we are not looking past Cotto. He’s an excellent fighter, he’s a puncher and Canelo is a puncher so is going to make for a great fight. But I can tell you one thing, Saul dodges no one. He’s a fighter and he wants to fight the best and Golovkin is one of the best. We are ready to fight anyone, but our fights will be at 155 pounds. Canelo is not ready to be a full-fledged middleweight so if GGG or anyone else wants to fight at 155 pounds we are more than happy to fight them.”

This is completely ridiculous. So what he is saying is that he wants to have the advantage against a light middle because he is too big for the division but will force a middle to cut down to 155? I can understand catch weight fights here and there but how can you just make a firm weight and say you won't fight anyone except for at that weight. That is the whole purpose of weight classes. The difference is 6 pounds. It's not that big of a deal. Canelo is most likely the same size as a lot of middles.

Canelo has tended to fight the best fighters for the most part but this is ridiculous. If you are too big to fight at the light middle limit then you are a middleweight. It's not that difficult to understand.

If, as VD claims, Cotto has small balls.......... then this guy has NO balls at all.
    The above speaks for itself.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    If GGG goes to 155 he'd absolutely RAPE Canelo....sorry but GGG is on another level.
    He may be able to make 155. I think he is the same size as Canelo. Who knows though.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Making 155lb will even the fight a bit but I hope GGG does it and smashes Saul but he may lose all the belts.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

155lb is a joke, but setting that aside, let's be honest, how much longer do we think Canelo can make 155lb? If GGG went up in weight or retired, you can bet that Canelo would go up to MW in a heartbeat, because HE IS A MW! Everyone can see it. Team Canelo know that GGG won't go down in weight for anyone bar Floyd, and they are using this to avoid him.
    It won't happen, but if team GGG called Team Canelo's bluff , in time I reckon 155lb would be more of a hindrance to Canelo.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well in this instance, I don't think Canelo is doing anything that Cotto wasn't doing except announcing it ahead of time. Cotto was doing what manny did and Floyd mainstreamed in order to ensure his undefeated record continued. I remember thinking at the time that its bull$hit like this that will be the undoing of the sport.

That being said I fail to see the logic in the one pound difference. It's completely asinine. you either get bare-assed, take your big honking $hit, and sit in the sauna to lose that pound or you move up. If you're gonna pull this catch weight business, least make a catchweight to meet halfway. You can't keep creating your own weight division where you feel you're comfortable. In a year, it will be the 156.5 lbs.

Now let me say that, while i have an old school mentality, I would have no problem with the biggest fighters and promoters in the sport getting together and reorganizing the weight classes (like saying bumping every range 1 or 2 lbs.). The world changes and certain things are unavoidable, like inflation. At least this would be a rule that applies to everyone and preexisted the title fight. To win a championship at a catch weight and defend it at a different catch weight and nickle and dime your way through it takes all the honor out of the strap and the fight because this is all about money.... Just like Cotto's ploy to take the fight and use the title to increase his bargaining power, remain mum on the step aside money and the sanctioning fee till it was unavoidable and then renay on it saying he didnt need the belt was a b*tch move. He needed the belt to negotiate.. he needed GGG to step aside and allow it to happen... Pay the man his due.

So till a sanctioning org takes a stand and puts an end to this nonsense, rather than grand standing and self promoting an lining their pockets... the fabric of the sport will continue to unravel.

We start calling them "Cash-weights" instead, since that's really all its about. Trying to get more money and advantages while doing the same amount of work. Noone fights at the contracted weight anyway...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information