Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hagler/Hearns is a spectacularly overrated fight

I can see a point of over saturation for sure. Considering before ESPN Classic it was on "SuperBouts" almost every week The 'event' part of it was massive and at a time when a guy moving up a division, a great, wasn't done on the scale or in carefree ease it is now. They were the top of the high profile food chain! Alot was made of the cuts but I don't think Hagler stepped it up because of it, he was Hell bent on wrecking Hearns after alot of bad blood in the first place and to the point of topic, he pretty much had it all his way.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a great fight, not overrated.

2 of the best bombing it out, look at today's champions...

Mayweather? Doesn't know the meaning of slugfest.
    Klitschko? Can't afford to be in a slugfest.
    Ward? ZzzZzzZZzZz.

We need more of this.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know how you can say it's overrated, I think you would struggle to find a better opening 3 rounds in a mega fight. I'm only 32 so never seen it live but I still like to watch it on YouTube every year or two, I can only imagin what that fight must if been like to see live must of been amazing. Top class fight from two legends

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight is amazing but perhaps in the past it was repeated a bit to often , it's place though in history should be respected and it is a true classic it is my favourite short fight
    think happy thoughts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been able to appreciate the fight.

Maybe it's because I wasn't there, I wasn't part of that time I history. I hadn't seen and felt the build up and been totally blown away by the outcome.

Before i really got into boxing, I always used to hear "Hagler Hearns, one of the greatest fights" but as myboxing knowledge expanded, I honestly felt like that was a little bit of a crock of shit, saved as an advert for those who were barely casual fans at best because over the years and years of following and researching I could honestly find and write a double-sided A4 page of fights that I enjoyed more.

I understand the magnitude of the fight had to be a factor but for me, it seems to be a reason why I don't like watching this fight.

If Hopkins had of blown out Trinidad in three rounds and them everyone repeatedly insisted that it wad one of the greatest fights ever, it would spoil it for me.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 11-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not going to go so far as to say it was a "spectacularly" overrated fight, but I do believe that it's relatively short length does DQ it from being mentioned with fights like Castillo/Corrales and Gatti/Ward, where you had a full fight's length of ebbs and flows and great action. They had a great compeditive first round, but after that Hagler took over in a big way.

But it was a great fight, because like people mentioned it's very rare to see top, A-class fighters fighting it out like dogs in the ring, without fear of consequence (which was a dumb strategy by Hearns, in hindsight).

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I fully accept that I do have a bit of a revisionist view on this because I didn't see it live. But I am old enough to have seen a replay of it without knowing what happened. And I was entranced by it.

Just looking back at it, the only argument that it's one of boxing's great fights (and every fight is judged by it, Castillo-Corrales was judged by it) is that it was two legendary fighters. Otherwise we've all seen better fights.

I think it's certainly the greatest first round between two elite all time fighters fighting in their prime for a major belt, but round 2 and 3 are a bit of a beatdown.
    It was a great fight. I remember the night it was on, getting off work and hauling ass to my friends house to watch it. That first round was incredible. By the end of the 2nd it certainly seemed like things were going Hagler's way, but there was that cut. When they stopped the action in the third to have the doctor look at it, it was dramatic as hell. Then when Hagler floored him...just an incredible fight. That was nearly 30 years ago and I remember that night like it just happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*Hearns had violently ko'ed Duran, among others... with one punch... Hagler , the undisputed champ... the outcome was priceless...
    to see Haggler wobbled... to see Hearns beat, in his prime... i'll take this fight over any... these r the fights u never forget...

true example of an irresitable force vs an immovable object

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post

Maybe it's because I wasn't there, I wasn't part of that time I history. I hadn't seen and felt the build up and been totally blown away by the outcome.

Before i really got into boxing, I always used to hear "Hagler Hearns, one of the greatest fights" but as myboxing knowledge expanded, I honestly felt like that was a little bit of a crock of shit, saved as an advert for those who were barely casual fans at best because over the years and years of following and researching I could honestly find and write a double-sided A4 page of fights that I enjoyed more.

I understand the magnitude of the fight had to be a factor but for me, it seems to be a reason why I don't like watching this fight.

If Hopkins had of blown out Trinidad in three rounds and them everyone repeatedly insisted that it wad one of the greatest fights ever, it would spoil it for me.

*the hype is a big part of the show... there was one fight, Leonard vs Duran 1... unless u lived in the time then all the hype behind Sugar Ray is lost... I mean, he was unbeatable.. he was in commercials for gods sake, people either LIKED him ot HATED him. and Duran, he was fierce... mean, GREAT.. he was gunna shut that loudmouth up...when Duran beat him, it was the first time I had seen regular TV interrupted with close caption stating "Duran had won"..it was a big deal.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post

I think you have nailed it. It was huge fight at the time and for me it was huge as a fan. Even the face offs and stare-down were epic. But @OumaFan makes a good point in that if you take away the mystique its really no better fight wise then other shorter fights both before and after. The trouble is I guess is that one could take the same position in almost any fight. Short or long. I mean the things that made this fight what it was at the time is based on the same things attempted on the lead ups for most big fights today. Problem is they pale in comparison in most cases once the two teams are on the field. Floyd gets 40 million a fight for what appears to be a lazy day at the office. Every once in awhile you get a Firpo/Dempsey or Holt/Torres but not all that often.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fwiw part of this was me being a bit of a contrarian, and I get the "mystique" argument.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mystique, golden era and name legends had everything to do with it. If they were not who they were it would be just another Alex Stewart ko 3 Ezra Sellers war.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't take the two men out of the ring once the bell goes. From the beginning until the end the same two guys are in there. The idea that some fights are just a free for all brawl and that skill, resolve and fitness to explode into war are just attributes that anyone can employ kind of demeans all of the sport. I know that we all know it's more complicated than that but taking s fight out of context and getting all microscopic over it misses the point. The whole enterprise is a huge and pointless display of barbarity on one level and an artform on another. Marvin and Tommy condensed so much about life in that opening round though that even a complete noob would get it. That does not mean it is in itself a one dimensional experience or a shallow and vacuous piece of work that should be dismissed because there are more nuanced or similarly intense fights drawn out over 12 or 15 rounds. It is a breathtaking ride still, and deserves it well earned status.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ali is over rated, so is Foreman's punch power and Tyson's speed, Holyfield's heart...
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information