Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So does anyone think Wilder can beat Wlad?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So does anyone think Wilder can beat Wlad?

Yes, I say Wilder puts Wlad out cold. Wilder's got the reach and the speed to touch Wlad's chin and when he touches his chin Wlad's going to wake up on the canvas.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least he's quite interesting, and might revive heavyweight boxing across the pond for a while.

I suspect that he has got as far as he has because he is a magnificent physical specimen of an athlete. 6 foot 7, not fat, decent coordination and (as we now know) a decent chin and stamina too. He has sparkd out a lot of bums too, so his record has its fair share of padding.

I wonder if he has actually learnt the trade, though. His technique is pretty flawed and anyone can see he windmills those huge punches.

Fighting against the much shorter and limited Bermane was one thing, but I wonder whether he will get found out when he meets someone who he can't physically dominate. Someone like Wlad is the same size, but he has excellent technique and boxing smarts too.

The big question, of course, is the perception that Wlad is a bit chinny ....... And that does always give a big hitter a perceived chance against Wlad.

If Vitali was still fighting, I don't think I would give Deontay a cat in hell's chance against him!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Wilder would always have a punchers chance.
    I don't think he would beat Wlad 2 out of ten times now.
    I do think some more experience against bigger quality fighters could improve his chances.
    I'm thinking like Fenster, it wouldn't surprise me (after seeing the Stiverne fight) if he KOed Wald and it wouldn't surprise me if he was KOed.
    I would like to see the Fury fight happen.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I don't think he can after watching Saturdays fight against a totally lost and out of shape Stiverne.

I also think his power is seriously over rated too, his jab looked great but he was putting full force into those right hands and the one punch power simply wasn't there against a bona fide World Class fighter.

He took a few good shots but don't see him taking Wlads power
    Tyson in his prime went the distance a couple of times. Hopkins took Kovalev the distance. Yet no-one would deny the power of Kovalev or Tyson and Wilder has better KO record than the both of em.

It can be hard to knock out an average journeyman if they are slippery and defensive enough

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say he has the best chance of anyone out there now - he should maybe fight Fury for the right

I just seen Bryant Jennings has got shot at Klitschko - know nothing about him apart from his name. Is it a mismatch (I know most Klit fights are but is he big enough physically ??)
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    His power may be fine but its his delivery and leaky recovery that leaves him in very vulnerable spot. The arsenal is pretty basic, jab, straight right and very little body work. That lead wide uppercut is an accident waiting to happen. I can't see him jabbing with a two handed master jabber like Wlad and that mauling added on those thin legs would not go well at this stage I believe. Basically for his size and height I don't think Wildrr is all that strong.

That's exactly how i see him now he's faced a solid opponent.

I really don't think he's as strong as people seem to think.

I think Wlads left hook will land because Wilder leaves himself so wide open and someone with his (Wlads) size and reach is very easily gonna exploit that opening and land.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder broke his right hand early in the fight which probably explains why it went twelve. If he doesn't manage to break his hand against Junior he can win. Junior can't jab and grab all night against somebody the same size as him but with the same reach and more mobile.

At some point Wilder will manage to land something substantial and Junior's china chin is going to have to stand up to that right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a Zelenoff rematch is in order first...

I kid, I kid...

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    At least he's quite interesting, and might revive heavyweight boxing across the pond for a while.

I suspect that he has got as far as he has because he is a magnificent physical specimen of an athlete. 6 foot 7, not fat, decent coordination and (as we now know) a decent chin and stamina too. He has sparkd out a lot of bums too, so his record has its fair share of padding.

I wonder if he has actually learnt the trade, though. His technique is pretty flawed and anyone can see he windmills those huge punches.

Fighting against the much shorter and limited Bermane was one thing, but I wonder whether he will get found out when he meets someone who he can't physically dominate. Someone like Wlad is the same size, but he has excellent technique and boxing smarts too.

The big question, of course, is the perception that Wlad is a bit chinny ....... And that does always give a big hitter a perceived chance against Wlad.

If Vitali was still fighting, I don't think I would give Deontay a cat in hell's chance against him!

I see his (windmilling) of punches a part of zestful youth" and a sign of aggression.
    This means when he smells blood he goes all out. (IMO) thats a good thing.

The youtube compilations of his KO's shows it is second nature for him- to end a fight when the oppurtunity presents itself...and that's IMO what Wlad lacks...that killer's instinct.

And most of all...Like Lennox Lewis when he started out wasn't over 230...Just imagine when Deontay fills that 6'7 power punch into 235lbs +? And learns leverage-which comes in time, man this dude is likely to hurt people each time out.
    Damn!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was Stiverne that good a measuring stick?

I only see Areola on his record as a remotely decent test for Stiverne and that being very generous.

I didn't see anything at all from Wilder that made me think he can beat Wlad.

His reach will be nullified for a start and he's nowhere near as strong as Wlad, with limited skills and punch variations.

Wlads just signed to fight Jennings anyway so that leaves Fury free now so wonder if he'll fight Wilder next?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@ Smashup- Legit question. He was a measuring stick, buit how good of a measuring stick?

I guess it depends on the what the individual thought going into the fight.
    We did have a few different opionions here. Questions both had to answer,

On one hand Stivern did his job like he was supposed to- he won the title.
    Then there is Wilder's resume.

Was Malik a decent opponent going in? I dunno, subjective I guess to each of us.

or Audley Harrison? This is the guy Haye fought to get to Wlad. Was Audly that good then.. but not when Wilder fought him, he became something other than a worthy foe? He went 3-1 since-getting starched by Price, bad or good Wilder's resume? I dunno.

Liakhovhich was a world champ- & Wilder got that on his resume. When Helenious beat Liakhovich only 3 fights ago for him..was that a bum win his record? I'm not sure how much stock of Liakhovich dropped from that to Wilder.

To me Stiverne's measuring was-
    Could Wilder go 12 rounds (stamina)-Yes
    Could he take a punch from a guy who isn't called a pillow puncher? Yes
    If adversity comes, can he deal with it (fractured) hand-Yes
    Would he fall of his game and show his youth? (NO-he stuck to the plan;lead with the jab)

Question smashup- who would be a good measuring stick for him now & what do you think that would consist of?
    I have no critique for you, just to learn from a different perspctive through lenses other than my own.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fury smokes wilder

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Given your recent post about the size of Wilder's head, I'll take that as an omen of Wilder's victory

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    fury smokes wilder
    Dont be daft!!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In another fight or two, I'd say he will be a very formidable challenge for Wlad.

Maybe even now, but he is pretty naïve about the clinch game and Wlad could write a book on riding, tangling up and generally holding his opponent.

Wlad's right hand and hook are more tried and true as well.

Wlad's chin though...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information