Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How would the Heavyweight division have played out if....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would the Heavyweight division have played out if....

Riddick Bowe had beaten Holyfield in their rematch?

I'm not going to get into the "Bowe threw the belt in the trash can to avoid fighting Lewis" talk. Although it could be a legit argument.

It's easy to assume he would have fought Lennox Lewis. I don't think so, at least not that soon. Bowe would have fought at least 2 more bouts against inferior contenders (Michael Moorer perhaps) to fatten his account. Also, Lewis lost to Oliver McCall in 1994 which would have set their matchup back even more.

Most likely we would have seen Bowe/Foreman before a Bowe/Lewis.

Nonetheless, Riddick would have had to great opportunities and options ahead of head of him had he come into his 2nd fight with Holyfield in better fighting shape.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would the Heavyweight division have played out if....

Holyfield fought against Moorer and lost, Bowe would have destroyed Michael who was chinny. Foreman would never have fought Bowe but if he did he would have got battered. After Bowe lost against Holyfield he put on an impressive run against undefeated fighters who he comprehensibly beat Hide, Mathis and Gonzales.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Riddick Bowe had beaten Holyfield in their rematch?

I'm not going to get into the "Bowe threw the belt in the trash can to avoid fighting Lewis" talk. Although it could be a legit argument.

It's easy to assume he would have fought Lennox Lewis. I don't think so, at least not that soon. Bowe would have fought at least 2 more bouts against inferior contenders (Michael Moorer perhaps) to fatten his account. Also, Lewis lost to Oliver McCall in 1994 which would have set their matchup back even more.

Most likely we would have seen Bowe/Foreman before a Bowe/Lewis.

Nonetheless, Riddick would have had to great opportunities and options ahead of head of him had he come into his 2nd fight with Holyfield in better fighting shape.
    What a talent that guy was but once again he's a great example of having an empty brain pan. When Eddie Futch says he's the best talent he'd ever seen that has to mean something. Its unfortunate because after he lost the rematch to Holy, Holy lost to Moorer and I think Bowe would have thumped Moorer He beats Mercer, gets knocked out by Bowe and yet its him that gets the Tyson fight. Bowe was just as much a victim of Don King at times as he was with his own empty head. Another spoiled brat olympian though who would not fight Lewis and would not fight Tyson because of some friendship pact. He only looked good when things went his way. He crumbled easily and I think he had a sense of entitlement. The same thing is playing out with Andre Ward. The guys going to miss his own career.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't see Bowe v Lewis happening as it was clear Bowe wouldn't go there. Not sure that the two bodies he had would see eye to eye on next opponent as the ibf had already balked at Ferguson farce even though Jesse beat Mercer who was next up for Bowe. May have seen McCall facing Bowe before Lewis...think that would have been a fun fight ...or number one Moorer. I think Moorer gets a bit of a bad rap, sure he was chinny but talk about hand speed and a piston southpaw jab vs Holyfield. Prior or after had Bowe ever faced a significant southpaw? Worst case scenario if Bowe won rematch he grows even more fat headed and puts TWO refrigerators in his bedroom as he talked about.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I understand it Lewis was unknown in America at the time. They Offer Bowe 5 million for Lewis. Bowe got 15 million for a Holyfield rematch. I not sure if Bowe want any part of Lewis unless it was for 20 million or higher.

Thread Information