Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got knocked on my butt today in sparring...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I got knocked on my butt today in sparring...

I got dropped legit for the first time today.I been goin to the local boxing gym for a good 3 1/2 months now and been sparrin for about 2 1/2 months. All my sparrin has been with this one guy, he's a pro MMA fighter with a 1-1 record, he's got bout a year of boxing expierence on me. Lately we've been pretty competitive with him outboxing me by a little or more each time and me gettin my big shots in. Plus he had let himself get outta shape recently, so I had been gettin the better of the sparring to some degree. He has a great, hard jab, but really no right hand or left hook to speak of. I mean they are there, but they are not near as hard as that jab. Well like an idiot I came in to spar him this morning, and this other MMA fighter, and I didn't have any respect for his power. Right in the first round I came in bombing with my chin up and BOOM! I got nailed with a hard straight right hand that put me on my back, I rolled back, jumped up and continued fighting. It caught me just right, but didn't hurt me really.

They asked if I was okay and I said "Yeah, lets go". So now I'm pissed, which is a mistake. And so for the next 30 second to a minute(we are going 2 minute rounds), I am swinging for the fences, trying to drop him. Then I leap in with a left hook and kind of fall into a punch and go down again. This time it was really more of a case of me falling down and slippin while being tagged with a b1tch punch. But I went down again, I got up again and finished the round. It was disapointing, but it was bound to happen eventually.

Anyway after that, I went on to spar the other guy twice, dropping him in a similiar fashion to my second knockdown and catchin him with stiff hard jabs, and my original sparring partner again, and I did not get knocked down anymore. Still it was a bit embarassing, but a good lesson. I MUST keep my chin tucked as my trainer says, and I definately should respect EVERYONE who steps in the ring with me. Believe it or not for the round I got dropped in, we were using freakin 18 oz gloves AND headgear too. Still I walked right into it and it put me on the seat of my pants.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I got knocked on my butt today in sparring...

thats great, its a good experience for you...Learn from it and come back better

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive been on my Butt that many times Ive got a Cauliflower Arse.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Ive been on my Butt that many times Ive got a Cauliflower a***.
    LOL Scrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

get it drained scrap....maybe just maybe that will help...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    thats great, its a good experience for you...Learn from it and come back better
    Thank you, I will.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What kinda sparring is taht?
    Sparring is meant to be a part of training, a learning instrument to help one's boxing...How's knocking each other down and potentially injuring each other going to help your boxing?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Sparring is meant to be a part of training, a learning instrument to help one's boxing...How's knocking each other down and potentially injuring each other going to help your boxing?
    I'm sure you've sparred before. So you know that sometimes sparring gets heated, and you get into a good scrap. Somtimes you get dropped. This was the first time out of 8 sparring sessions anyone has been dropped. And I've improved a lot since the first couple, so I think they have been productive. The point is like you say to work on what you've learned, not to drop or hurt one another , but its boxing, sometimes things like that will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sparring is never heated for me

I am very laid back, But i go to war in sparring with the best pro's in the gym.. and they hit me hard so i hit them hard.. But its nothing petsonal.. i dont go round trying to knock them out if i get knocked down

Its a part of sparring,sometimes you get caught.. If anything you showed weakness by getting out of your gameplan and loosing focus bro

Not having a go just saying

Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    Sparring is never heated for me

I am very laid back, But i go to war in sparring with the best pro's in the gym.. and they hit me hard so i hit them hard.. But its nothing petsonal.. i dont go round trying to knock them out if i get knocked down

Its a part of sparring,sometimes you get caught.. If anything you showed weakness by getting out of your gameplan and loosing focus bro

Not having a go just saying

Peace
    Yeah, duely noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Donny,when I tried to come back,before I blew up my right hand.Before I rediscovered that place where I keep my anger,I went down in 2 of the 3 rounds,the first two times.Got right back,because screw you,I aint leaving. When I rediscovered it,I got not hit,walloped.I was bringing it after that, poor Talley was desperatly trying to figure out how to stop it since he was reffing.
    Its really confusing when you arent used to going down,to find yourself down there,not even because your hurt,as much as,"This isnt supposed to be happening to me,it never has before"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think when i spar i feel like theres a fine line between heart and determination and anger

Like when all else fails, or im just in the moment and i stop fighting smart, i dont mind trading, fighting ferociously and swinging.. and it get vicious..But its not angry, In fact its just plain fun sometimes
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think when i spar i feel like theres a fine line between heart and determination and anger

Like when all else fails, or im just in the moment and i stop fighting smart, i dont mind trading, fighting ferociously and swinging.. and it get vicious..But its not angry, In fact its just plain fun sometimes
    Its a matter of learning how to point it in the right direction,and control it.
    When I forgot that its part of the gig,you are hitting people after all,and being hit,that little spark that says,"Oh thats how you wanna play it?" wasnt there.
    And I went down,it was really confusing,because I hadnt needed it for so long,I hadnt had to use it,and at first,I forgot about it.Put it on the shelf and forgot to dust it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its crazy how much boxing is to do with confidence, Have one bad week and your next three might not be so good until you have a few nice rounds to get you back up, SOmetimes it sucks
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its crazy how much boxing is to do with confidence, Have one bad week and your next three might not be so good until you have a few nice rounds to get you back up, SOmetimes it sucks
    No doubt at all,one week your down and trying to figure out how your going to get your mouthpiece back in,and the next week,you take the EXACT same shot,and all you think is,"Your going to pay for that"
    cc

Thread Information