Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pacquiao-Rios = Roy-Glen Johnson?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacquiao-Rios = Roy-Glen Johnson?

Is Pacquiao in a similiar position as Roy after getting knocked out by Tarver??

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao-Rios = Roy-Glen Johnson?

I think he is. I've heard people say it maybe another Margarito fight for Pac, but Pac was on a roll before that fight and after getting hurt so badly and being out of the ring for nearly a year since that, he may find a fight with a tough bull like Rios a difficult task. I wouldn't be shocked if Rios got to him, in fact, I'm leaning to a Rios stoppage victory.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rios is a relentless, come-forward guy no different than Johnson and if Pacquiao isn't all there mentally and physically, he can impose himself to a victory no doubt about it.

After suffering his first KO loss , Roy figured Johnson would be an easy fight and nobody disagreed with him at the time but little did we know that his chin and punch resistance was shot.

Pac has been saying that he's going to prove himself by going toe to toe with Rios but he'd be better off using his speed to stick and move.

This is a dangerous fight. Maybe even more risky than the Johnson fight..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I absolutely disagree for a couple of major reasons. But let me start off by saying that there is no surefire way to tell how a fighter will recover from a brutal KO. I will admit those type of KOs usually don't bode well for the fighter. But anyway, the first major difference between the two is that Pac will have taken nearly a year off to let his body fully recover as well as it is able. Roy hadn't even let his body fully acclimate cutting back down to 175 after muscling up to the 190s for heavyweight status. After being one punch TKOed Roy fought like 4 months later. That is absolutely absurd!!! I remember seeing the boxing schedule before I saw the announcement and I thought that this must be incorrect Roy could not possibly be fighting this soon. I could not believe that Roy and his people around him would seriously get back in the ring a mere 4 months after being one punch TKOed. One of the worse moves ever by an all time great especially one who never took punishment before. And the second major difference is that Rios and Johnson fight completely different. Roy had little chance of overwhelming Johnson but all the chance in the world to oubox him. If Pac is near the same chin as before he has about equal chance to overwhelm Rios and outbox him. Roy constantly let Johnson dictate and keep him up against the ropes hoping he will tire himself. Pac can box a little and Rios does not know how to cut off the ring like Glen Johnson does. I think Pac will dart in and out for spurts and just run away with the fight. Rios is not an IQ fighter at all but Johnson is. Johnson knows how to slip punches while looking for his many shots. Rios just abandons everything when he throws. You can see technique and tactics in Johnson's game but no so much in Rios' game. He relies on being so dang sturdy that he is really one of the easiest guys to hit and not be hit by. Basically Glen Johnson had smart pressure, good feet, and placement volume punches that made it to where you had to face him or beat him off of you. With Rios you really can beat him without being creative. But even if Pac chooses to fight in the pocket a lot he still has a better chance at success with that then Roy would have with Johnson. Prime Johnson was a lot more difficult than what Rios is. Then consider the fact that Roy's head and body had a lot of recovering to do in like 1/3 of the time that Pac intelligently gave himself. I have Pac winning this fight comfortably by UD but if he goes to war I can even see Pac stopping Rios. Rios is right he is not another Margarito...he is smaller and even a bit easier to outbox. Just my opinion but I am not worried about Pac winning this fight or seeing it like the danger that some see it. Rios is really only dangerous if you forget you have feet. With Johnson you have to move your feet properly. I know this sounds too harsh on Rios but I'm basically saying he is much easier to outbox and outmaneuver than Johnson.
    Last edited by jehoshaphat; 08-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's possible, but I think Roy was physically much more passed it than Pacquiao is. He looked terrible in the fights after his huge weight cut. Pac looked great against JMM until getting caught.

Also, unlike Roy, Pac has come back from being KTFO before. Twice in fact. So who knows. I don't see why Pac wouldn't win this fight.

Thread Information