Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Racism/Chimp Pic/BBC/Royals/Danny Baker Sacked

Was it about class or race? Should he have been sacked?

Would he have been sacked if he was an elitist university type instead of a "cockney" Millwall supporter from a South London working-class background?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/danny...-race-9473027/
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Racism/Chimp Pic/BBC/Royals/Danny Baker Sacked

Very silly of Baker , he must have known there would be a huge outrage.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is political correctness though, isn't it? I mean don't we hear people mocking Trump for being an orangutan, haven't people compared Princess Anne to a horse? I might sound like a naive 19 year old here, but I really don't see a big deal in calling a baby a chimp. I mean, isn't it true that people would likely ignore it if it was related to Boris Johnson or his child. It isn't a nice thing to say, but if it is just a joke then it is just a joke. And if he has said sorry and I am not sure he even should say sorry, then surely that would be the end of it. It's another example of Twitter/media outrage trying to dictate things.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No he should not have been sacked. It is a joke about class and I find it a bit of a stretch to think Baker is a closet racist.

From someone else maybe, you cannot deny using monkies and chimps in jokes has often been racist. It's not like idiots who demand the right to reinstate gollywogs and insist they are not racist or the stupid 'oh his grandad was black' etc, and he has black friends so he can't be racist.

The racism from Asians often takes my breath away, in fact you have to laugh at the stupidity of it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't really answer the question there. I think only Baker truly knows the intent, but I would just prefer we do not get so hung up on these things.

I think it is quite common to compare people to animals based upon how they look or act. I am sure many a parent has called their child a 'Cheeky Monkey' at one time of another and it is preferable to 'Little bastard' or some of the things we hear on here.

Michelle Pfeiffer used to look very feline like a cat. Tom Hanks these days looks like a big cuddly bear now he has let himself go. There was one chap at school who was called Slug. It wasn't because he had no legs, but because he looked a bit like Slimer from Ghostbusters. A bit mean perhaps, but that's kids for you. I think comparing people to animals is quite common really.

Is it something to get upset over or lose a job? My personal thinking is that people should lighten up on things that really do not cause any real harm. In my deleted post I did make the comparison of John Sweeney who not only made racist jokes, but also suggested framing a man for sexual things he did not do. It is a bit of a diversion, but that is what came to mind immediately when this thread was made. In that sense it makes you wonder if there is Classism in the BBC. They already practice racism against white people in their hiring processes.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    No he should not have been sacked. It is a joke about class and I find it a bit of a stretch to think Baker is a closet racist.

From someone else maybe, you cannot deny using monkies and chimps in jokes has often been racist. It's not like idiots who demand the right to reinstate gollywogs and insist they are not racist or the stupid 'oh his grandad was black' etc, and he has black friends so he can't be racist.

The racism from Asians often takes my breath away, in fact you have to laugh at the stupidity of it.
    I have seen no more or less racism from Asians than any other group. Do you have a lot of racist 'Asians' in Plymouth? Now, I have seen racism and it does exist, but I am curious to know about the racism that 'often takes your breath away' because I certainly do not experience very much of it.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

I have seen no more or less racism from Asians than any other group. Do you have a lot of racist 'Asians' in Plymouth? Now, I have seen racism and it does exist, but I am curious to know about the racism that 'often takes your breath away' because I certainly do not experience very much of it.
    Miles how would you know you only live in Asia.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

This is how stupid the pair of you are. You are so eager to prove I am a liar that you can't even accept I may have encountered Asian racists.

Its not just Asians obviously, certainly a huge number of white racists married to Asian women.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is how stupid the pair of you are. You are so eager to prove I am a liar that you can't even accept I may have encountered Asian racists.

Its not just Asians obviously, certainly a huge number of white racists married to Asian women.
    Your full of shit.
    You encounter to much of life's problems and you live in Plymouth, an expert of the people of Botlon , and expert on Asian racism and you find time for this while being a big buisnessman.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your full of shit.
    You encounter to much of life's problems and you live in Plymouth, an expert of the people of Botlon , and expert on Asian racism and you find time for this while being a big buisnessman.
    I have never claimed to be an expert and certainly never claimed to be a big businessman. What a crock of shit.

When I worked at the University as a student support worker I was self employed on quite a modest wage when I work for newspapers as a freelance correspondent again self employed, film maker, photographer all self employed but as a carer as well I am never going to be rich. Its not even complicated, I have worked as a laborer, decorator etc too again self employed. I am not the feckless lazy twat you wish I was.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have not called you a liar. I simply asked for some evidence or an anecdote. For instance, I have seen some racism in that some comedians did the 'blackface' thing on TV here. Personally I don't think it is a big deal, but then I don't care about political correctness. But in day to day life, and I encounter hundreds of people each week, I do not see much racism. In fact there is a lot of respect for foreign things such as in music, football and what have you. My favorite player today is Muslim and my favorite fighter is of course James Toney and Asian women are hot. You want me to be racist because I have views on immigration and don't ignore data relating to crime, IQ, and athletic prowess. Everybody is an individual and you will get exceptional and less exceptional people in any group. If that is racist, then so be it, but you are obsessed with it.

Now it's white racists married to Asian women along with men who have black grandparents? You appear to be wanting to extend it to everyone is a racist just as everyone according to the left is far right. It's frankly ridiculous and you know it.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course anyone can be racist.. Duh. And you don't see much racism because you live in a country that is not very racially diverse. I don't want you to be racist Miles you just keep making incredibly hard not to draw those conclusions.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Given the craziness of the post, if interpreted in the way the majority have, and Baker's standing I just can't believe he meant any racist intent at all. Even the most idiotic of racists with a couple of hundred followers would think twice about posting that on Twitter let alone a public figure who works for the BBC.

If she wasn't mixed race it wouldn't be an issue and I didn't know myself till late last year she was mixed race when I saw her mother (don't pay much attention to royals or watch weddings etc). I'd watched Suits from the start and just though she was a classy, olive skinned bird who was worth one.

Would be interested to see if that image has been used before by others on twitter for a different intent.

The only other thing I could think of is the time the post went on - was it late at night when he could have had a skinful and was hating life ?? Not that it has to be late at night to have a skinful but just a thought
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course anyone can be racist.. Duh. And you don't see much racism because you live in a country that is not very racially diverse. I don't want you to be racist Miles you just keep making incredibly hard not to draw those conclusions.
    So, what is this incredible racism going on down there in Plymouth?

I don't really mind if anyone thinks I am racist or not. I am quite comfortable with my mindset and know that I am not. However, I will defend science unless it can be proven wrong. I am not a flat earther type. In saying that though you treat everybody as an individual and accept that not everyone is the worst of any group and most are somewhere in the middle or rather good. It's human nature.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I genuinely think that Danny did not mean to be racist, only he would really know the truth and he admits he has been stupid. However ignorance should not be a defence and he really should know better.

I think some disciplinary action should have been taken but I would have given him a final written warning but really it is at the discretion of his employers and with the racist hate going against the royal couple BBC would have been complicit if they took no action at all.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information