Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Froch and George Groves rematch is heading for Wembley Stadium

Hope its Wembley

George Groves is convinced the resumption of his unfinished business with Carl Froch should take place on the biggest available stage – and that means Wembley, in front of 80,000 fans, on 31 May.

Froch's Matchroom promoter, Eddie Hearn, will confirm the venue on Sky Sports News on Tuesday morning. And, if he is standing outside the home of football, it will come as no surprise.

The champion said, albeit cheekily, that he wanted it in his home town, Nottingham, at the City Ground, and the Londoner Groves, a Chelsea fan, might have liked to do business at Stamford Bridge – but neither of those was a practical money-making option.

The only other serious candidates were Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, but Wembley will land the job of hosting the biggest fight in Britain since the war.

They offered to postpone England's friendly the night before, but the England manager, Roy Hodgson, vetoed that. Instead they will work through the night after the game, then on Saturday almost up to the time of the first undercard fight to prepare the ground, laying protective covering over the pitch, opening up catering facilities and providing security.

Carl Froch and George Groves rematch is heading for Wembley Stadium | Sport | The Guardian

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Froch and George Groves rematch is heading for Wembley Stadium

IMO the logical venue is the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. I don't think it has any other events that weekend, and most importantly with the inconsistent weather in the UK, it has a got a closing roof. It's not unlikely that it could piss down at the end of May.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah the weather could be an issue but with the money this would genetate how hard would it be to to erect a huge canopy over the ring apron and pitch seats?

Cardiff would be less of a headache though and could still take 50 thousand Fans.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just glad the fight is going ahead. No messing around from Groves this time out, just box his head off and do a Lacy on him. No need to stop him, but show the gulf in class that there obviously is.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I'm just glad the fight is going ahead. No messing around from Groves this time out, just box his head off and do a Lacy on him. No need to stop him, but show the gulf in class that there obviously is.
    Groves could win this easily if he boxes smartly and doesn't get drawn into a brawl. I think last time he thought he had to outfight Froch or he'd lose it on the cards. This fight is going to be so scrutinised and such an event that he can safely outbox Froch, not start trading with him and win on points.

Unless following the reffing controversy we get a judging controversy and the possibility of a third huge payday.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If they fill the stadium that does show that boxing does not need mainstream TV. I would be surprised it will fill the stadium that large.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wembley confirmed.

80,000 punters seems a bit of a stretch. If they pull it off it'll look amazing what with Sky's cameras, razzmatazz and whatnot. 57,000 for Hatton-Lazcano is the post war record. They'll smash that.

You can't erect a huge canopy to cover pitch seats because it would block the stands. If it rains you're getting wet.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a fan of stadium fights, loses something for me as opposed to an arena or smaller venue fight.

Defo one to watch on TV and make a night of it - though I hoipe Froch does him early and shuts him up.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Wembley confirmed.

80,000 punters seems a bit of a stretch. If they pull it off it'll look amazing what with Sky's cameras, razzmatazz and whatnot. 57,000 for Hatton-Lazcano is the post war record. They'll smash that.

You can't erect a huge canopy to cover pitch seats because it would block the stands. If it rains you're getting wet.

Industrial strength cling film is the way and see through

Needs a cracking undercard and I think Hearns gonna use the whole stable here.

Joshuas nailed on to fight and will bring the punters and theres loads of talent he can showcase imo.

This is live on HBO too so Joshua needs a decent opponent and its a perfect spectacle for Matchroom to flex their muscles and showcase to the entire planet.

Just spoke to my bruv and he's coming over for this.

I think this can sell out easily and what a fucking night this will be.

This is on my doorstep too so double happy and gonna be shitloads of my mates going too

Already buzzing about this and its just what the UK scene needs.

Respect to Eddie Hearn for going for Wembley.

Cant wait.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets not forget that Froch v Groves 1 sold 21 thousand in 11 minutes and the demand was there to do that 3 times over.

The whole country knows about that fight now so for me 80 thousand is easy

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If HBO will they have to fight at silly o'clock ??

Isn't there a wembley curfew ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO have fuck all to do with a SKY PPV in front of 80,000 British punters. It is primetime for us (10pm).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't expect a great undercard. Casual fans, who this is aimed at, don't give a fuck about undercards. The tickets are gonna fly before a full undercard is even announced.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I wouldn't expect a great undercard. Casual fans, who this is aimed at, don't give a fuck about undercards. The tickets are gonna fly before a full undercard is even announced.

Im thinking of covered seats so im safe in the knowledge im not gonna get lashed on with rain if it pisses it down and nearer bars and khazis plus big screens these days are huge.

The atmosphere is gonna be amazing, loads of Chelsea fans going and Londoners in General plus half of Nottinghams gonna be there

Groves and Froch could fill Wembley on their own but Hearn surely aint gonna serve up a pony undercard with fight fans around the world watching.

This is a mega mega fight and what better way and stage to showcase your fighters.

I just hope timing wise some real 50-50 matchups can be made.

Khan v Brook would have been perfect as the 2nd fight.

Would love to see Audley get a fight seeing as he's a local lad.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whos going?

Thread Information