Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Thinking about starting...

Hey all,

New to the forum. I've used the search feature to get some info that I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if someone couldn't provide me with a few more specifics.

I'm a 23 year old male. I'm fairly athletic - have played hockey all of my life and played football in highschool. I'm just over 5'10 and I weigh just under 200lbs. I'm fairly thick - broad shoulders and solid back. I don't think anyone would call me fat, but I do have a little bit of 'excess' that I would like to get rid of.

Anyway, I'm thinking about joining boxing. I search the forum for threads about 'how old is too old' and such, and most seem to think that 23 is not too old to start. I'm not really interested in being the next Lennox Lewis. I'm finishing up a masters degree at University and am quite content with following that path for my career. However, I think boxers are in phenomenal shape and this is the kind of shape I would like to get myself into. I've always been a boxing fan, probably more passively than most of you, but a fan nonetheless. I have a great deal of respect for the sport and I think it would be a huge character builder for me, and would, as I said, improve my physical shape.

My specific questions fall along this line: are gyms/trainers less likely to take someone like me seriously when they find out that 1) I'm 23 years old and have never boxed before; and 2) I'm not aspiring to become a pro boxer?

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thinking about starting...

Depends on the gym, alot of gyms don't like 'keep fitters'. A good gym will train you and make you feel welcome wether your a keep fitter or not.

A keep fitter is not some one who dosn't want to be a pro boxer, its some one who dosn't want to compete at all. a 23 year old who wants to fight amatuer is nothing any gym would turn down, especially at your weight and build.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sadly, there are far too many gymsyou could end up in where there'd be no difference in whether or not you were taken seriously.
    There are many gyms that operate as health-club boxing type gyms for the bulk of the time, to pay the bills. So they would take you seriously- way to seriously for what is an aerobics class.
    To be taken seriously in a "fight" gym you have to be serious; not acting like some movie clown but working during your work out and not just doing the routine. Work hard physically and mentally and you'll be ahead of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont want to offend you mate, but gyms hate "get fitters"

you say you dont want to turn pro, but are you prepared to fight at amatuer? its good fun, and a great way to motivate you to train properly.
    the last thing agym owner wants is somone whos gonna go down to the club, take up his time, the equipment and the bags from people who will fight for the gym...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for all of the advice guys. No offence taken at all, these are the kind of things I need to know.

I guess I should clarify though - when I said I do not aspire to become a professional boxer, I didn't mean that I wouldn't take boxing seriously. Would I be opposed to fighting amateur bouts? No, but keep in mind I've never really been punched in the head before without protection. How can I know for sure if I could take it? Furthermore, I basically have my career path drawn out ahead of me, and I'm relatively happy with that direction. If I started boxing and realized that I was fairly good at it and could stand toe-to-toe with most people in the ring and my trainer felt the same, then I'd be willing to give it a shot for sure. I just don't know if I can make that sort of decision having never boxed before in my life, ya know?

I will absolutely take it as serious as anyone else. I don't start things if I'm not serious about them, so if I decide to give it a go, I will train very, very hard.

Anyway, just thought I'd make those clarifications and see if you guys had any comments. Thanks for the comments you already made; much appreciated.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You'll find out if your the type of guy who dosn't crumble when shots are coming in when you Spar. Amatuers wear head guards. Its a completely different game to the Pros. You generally only do 3 2 minute rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

one thing i will say is have a good sparring session/friendly boxing match with a mate or somethin before you decide to commit to boxing.

im new to this, and i thought i was Floyd Mayweather or somethin after 2 weeks of reading books, watchin vids and training. me and a friend then had a boxing match and i took some body shots... man, it really opened my eyes to how tough you need to be. the pain can be terrifying and it nearly put me off boxing for good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^ once again no offense... dont have a sparring match with a friend. 2 people who arent trained, or dont know about fighting have the potential to do alot of damage to eachother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    ^^ once again no offense... dont have a sparring match with a friend. 2 people who arent trained, or dont know about fighting have the potential to do alot of damage to eachother.
    lol true i found out the hard way. my pal has got a hard punch, and he kept hitting me in the left arm (coz he aint a trained boxer) and damn that arm is bruised!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well, thats a bad but slightly un-extreme case lol

i was more thinking about broken bones, falling, head trauma etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont go sparring with a friend whos also untrained. alex is right its unsafe and utterly pointless.

No-one's gonna have a problem with a 23 year old wanting to box and equally no one is gonna have an issue of someone with no pro dreams.

However most dont like 'keep fitters' theyd prefer it if you wanted to start boxing amatuer eventully in 6month time or whatever. If your saying you have no interest in competeing at all, then they wont want to spend much time on you, for perfecting your technique and doing pad work with you etc, is pointless for them.

My advice, give it a go - even if your not interested in competeing - after a few weeks there you might just change your mind!

Thread Information