Thread: Jamie McDonnell v Naoya Inoue - 25/5/18 Sky Sports 1pm (UK Time) Tokyo

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jamie McDonnell v Naoya Inoue - 25/5/18 Sky Sports 1pm (UK Time) Tokyo

Naoya Inoue will make his bantamweight debut against Jamie McDonnell on May 25 in Tokyo, promoter Eddie Hearn announced Tuesday. The Japanese star, who holds a title at junior bantamweight, will be facing one of the best 118 pounders in the world in his first foray at the weight.
    McDonnell (29-2-1, 13 knockouts) holds a title, but it’s the WBA’s secondary belt, which THE RING doesn’t recognize. Ryan Burnett is the WBA’s “super” champion. Nevertheless, McDonnell is a formidable and worthy test for Inoue at his new weight.
    The 31-year-old Brit hasn’t lost since 2008. He strung together two wins over Tomoki Kameda in the U.S., and most recently, narrowly outpointed Liborio Solis before a no decision in the November rematch. Despite his recent success, McDonnell will be a heavy underdog against Inoue, who is a star in Japan.
    Inoue (15-0, 13 KOs) made his American TV debut in the first iteration of HBO’s Superfly card in September with an impressive destruction of Antonio Nieves, and all of Inoue’s vast skills were on display: a dedicated body attack, combination punching, speed and ring smarts.
    He’s scored five consecutive stoppages, most recently over Yoann Boyeaux in December.
    The 24-year-old is THE RING’s No. 8 pound-for-pound fighter, and as he seeks dominance in a third weight class, his stock on that list only figures to rise.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jamie McDonnell v Naoya Inoue - 25/5/18 Sky Sports 1pm (UK Time) Tokyo

Jamie McDonnell vs Naoya Inoue: TV channel, fight time, live stream, and venue guide for Friday’s world title fight

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...l-live-stream/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jamie McDonnell v Naoya Inoue - 25/5/18 Sky Sports 1pm (UK Time) Tokyo

It's arguably the biggest challenge of his coaching career, but Dave Coldwell is glowing with confidence as his bantamweight charge, Jamie McDonnell, heads to Japan to face the threat of Pound for Pound monster, Naoya Inoue.

The Doncaster man enters the ring a massive underdog, and that is the role he is happy to play according to his trainer.
    Coldwell insists that McDonnell performs better with the odds stacked against him and he's expecting that opinion to contain more weight when the bell finally rings on May 25th.
    "Jamie is like a man possessed at the moment," buzzed Coldwell, who has just touched down in Japan.
    "He absolutely loves it when people are saying he's in far too deep and that he has no chance, but history has shown us that he takes these challenges and makes a mockery of what people thought beforehand.
    "The Julio Ceja fight he was given no hope. We went over to Texas to fight Tomoki Kameda and he was told he wasn't going to win, and look what happened there.
    "The better the opponent, the better you see Jamie and I'm expecting a brilliant version of him to show up against Inoue because this is the hardest test of his career."
    Coldwell added, "This camp has been one of the best I've been involved in because Jamie has given his entire body to this cause and done every single thing I've asked of him.
    "We've spent some time in Dubai and everybody at the Ramada Downtown Hotel has looked after us brilliantly.
    "Also the guys at Real Boxing Only gym have done everything we've asked of them. Jamie has had great sparring off lads in the gym, but he's also had brilliant sessions alongside Kal Yafai, so the sparring partners we've been using are of the highest class.
    "This is the chance for him to secure his legacy against one of the finest fighters on the planet, and maybe it's the time that the boxing community will finally come out and give Jamie the respect and credit he deserves.
    "He's been on a brilliant run in recent years, fighting away against good names, and he does it all again on May 25th. He couldn't be more prepared."

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all the American fight fans who are early risers it looks like you can catch this fight at 7:15 ET on ESPN+

The “Monster” will wake up American fight fans on Friday morning.

From the Ota-City General Gymnasium in Tokyo, two-weight world champion Naoya “Monster” Inoue will move up in weight to face WBA bantamweight champion Jamie McDonnell, and WBC light flyweight champion Ken Shiro will make the third defense of his belt in a rematch against Ganigan Lopez.

This world championship doubleheader, promoted by Ohashi Promotions and Teiken Promotions, will be broadcast live and exclusively in the United States at 7:15 a.m. ET on ESPN+ — the recently-launched multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment and ESPN......

https://www.boxingscene.com/naoya-in...n-espn--128408
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some interesting thoughts on fighting in Japan from the fighting bin man himself, Rendall Munroe

With Jamie McDonnell set to battle Naoya Inoue in Japan this Friday, Rendall Munroe reveals the good and the bad about fighting in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Munroe, from Leicester, challenged WBC super-bantamweight world champion Toshiaki Nishioka, back in October, 2010, and fell to a decision defeat, so we caught up with 'The Boxing Binman' to give us an insight into what Doncaster's McDonnell is up against..

So, was it a big difference fighting in Japan?

It wasn't different for me, my mentality was just to go out there and do what I do, a ring is a ring, I didn't suffer from jet-lag or anything like that.

The only difference was the humidity, in the fight after round five or six, my body wasn't feeling right, I was a second or two short of myself.....

the rest of the story here -

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...hting-in-japan
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a big ask for McDonnell. There was talk of him moving up before this fight got made, I hope he doesn't struggle to make weight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is on Friday 1pm? Going to have to sneak out of work.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    This is on Friday 1pm? Going to have to sneak out of work.

There's a little bit of a clue in the thread title son so yes 1pm this Friday, Inoue has an absolutely murderous punch on him and his body shots are lethal (87%) KO ratio so McDonnell could end up smashed to pieces here.

The problem he (McDonnell) has got is he can't punch (37% KO ratio) so unless he boxes his way to victory Inoue is just gonna walk straight through him and put him to sleep.

Nice fight for a Friday lunchtime, might go down the pub and start the weekend off VERY early

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both fighters stepped on scale today and McDonnell, who stands at about 5’10, actually weighed in lighter than Inoue, 5’5”, who is moving up in weight for this fight. McDonnell officially weighed-in at 117 12 pounds while Inoue came in right at the bantamweight limit of 118lbs.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/5/24/17389192/weights-naoya-inoue-118lbs-jamie-mcdonnell-117-5lbs

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They might as well put the fingers up to fans in the States with a 6:15 am Friday card . Like that Inoue got a trinket to travel to him though and hopefully they'll replay. ESPN+ gimmick I cannot see any value in, especially since they already have 3,4 channels? Inoue body work should seal the deal.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are they showing the undercard on sky or is the actual fight starting at 1pm? I'm thinking about taking my lunch at 1 to watch it but if it is the undercard first then I won't bother

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McDonnell v Inoue starts just after 1pm @Batman

The fight is due to take place at the Ota City General Gymnasium, in the Ota ward of Tokyo, Japan.
    The Japanese capital is eight hours ahead of London meaning with the fight due to get underway after 9pm local time, things will like kick off just after 1pm UK time.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxi...xing-online-TV

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    They might as well put the fingers up to fans in the States with a 6:15 am Friday card . Like that Inoue got a trinket to travel to him though and hopefully they'll replay. ESPN+ gimmick I cannot see any value in, especially since they already have 3,4 channels? Inoue body work should seal the deal.

Those body shots are brutal and agree could be the key to victory for Inoue

Last edited by smashup; 05-26-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For anyone in the US or at work in the UK, usually pretty watchable this site

http://www.sportcategory.com/c-11.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McDonnall is said to have put on 26lbs since the weigh in

Thread Information