Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you sum up 2019 in a title for a boxing article? Why?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would you sum up 2019 in a title for a boxing article? Why?

Sportswashing! It's here. Deal with it!

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would you sum up 2019 in a title for a boxing article? Why?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. I have a heap of fights that could be considered fight of the year. I think it was a very good year for boxing. Not perfect, but the quality was of a very high standrad in my opinion.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. I have a heap of fights that could be considered fight of the year. I think it was a very good year for boxing. Not perfect, but the quality was of a very high standrad in my opinion.
    I agree. This year had multiple fights for hardcore fans. It wasn’t much of a year for the casual fan though. There weren’t any massive fights that I can remember. We got a light heavyweight unification in Beterbiev and Gvozdyk which was a good fight. We got a unification and great fight in Taylor and Prograis. We got another great fight against a good older fighter and great younger fighter in Inoue and Donaire. We got another FOTY candidate against two top welters in Spence and Porter.

So my headline would be something like:

The year of the hardcore fans

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P.E.Dazn flops

It was supposed to come in and take over, but the service is a nightmare(ask Spicoli haha) and it has captured none of the market. They do have a niche in the gimmick fight market, can that carry them?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    P.E.Dazn flops

It was supposed to come in and take over, but the service is a nightmare(ask Spicoli haha) and it has captured none of the market. They do have a niche in the gimmick fight market, can that carry them?

Hahaha! Good one! 2019 was our first full year without HBO Boxing, and I for one am still grieving.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a normal year of prospects winning, heavyweight upset, top fighters not fighting one another, robberies, classic fights and unifications.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    P.E.Dazn flops

Hahaha! Good one! 2019 was our first full year without HBO Boxing, and I for one am still grieving.
    The HBO thing seems more like the nostalgia factor. HBO was definitely losing it towards the end and weren’t really making good fights. Unlike most others, I was alright with it ending. I was getting tired of the biased commentating. It was time for a change.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I agree. This year had multiple fights for hardcore fans. It wasn’t much of a year for the casual fan though. There weren’t any massive fights that I can remember. We got a light heavyweight unification in Beterbiev and Gvozdyk which was a good fight. We got a unification and great fight in Taylor and Prograis. We got another great fight against a good older fighter and great younger fighter in Inoue and Donaire. We got another FOTY candidate against two top welters in Spence and Porter.

For a casual fan there were plenty of big fights. Joshua, Wilder, Canelo would surely all fit that bill?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P.E.Dazn flops

The HBO thing seems more like the nostalgia factor. HBO was definitely losing it towards the end and weren’t really making good fights. Unlike most others, I was alright with it ending. I was getting tired of the biased commentating. It was time for a change.

I'm glad ESPN and Fox have been there to pick up some of the slack. Having to depend solely on DAZN would be a turning point for me as far as boxing's concerned.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P.E.Dazn flops

I'm glad ESPN and Fox have been there to pick up some of the slack. Having to depend solely on DAZN would be a turning point for me as far as boxing's concerned.
    ESPN and Fox are free to air channels too? That must be good. Just need NBC, CBS, ABC and your other mainstream channels to join in.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What would you title your article if you were writing about the 2019 year in boxing -- and why? The answer could reflect an overview or it might emanate from a more specific event (s). Please be brief and thank you kindly for participating.”

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What would you title your article if you were writing about the 2019 year in boxing -- and why? The answer could reflect an overview or it might emanate from a more specific event (s). Please be brief and thank you kindly for participating.”

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"good old-fashioned hard work is sometimes the answer to success"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like "P.E.Dazn" flops so far, as per Ron.

Another entry I'd submit is "2019 - The Year Boxing Went Full Hollywood (and we've made up the belts to prove it)"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

For a casual fan there were plenty of big fights. Joshua, Wilder, Canelo would surely all fit that bill?
    I mean anything huge. There was no mayweather Pacquiao type fight. Wilder Fury was 2018 so there was no match up between Wilder Fury or AJ. There are always “big” fights for casuals every year, but nothing that significant. Wilder didn’t fight anybody big. AJ and Ruiz 2 was only pretty big because of the upset but not a huge fight. Canelo fighting Kovalev was pushed but again not a mega fight.

So maybe I should say there were no mega fights in 2019.

Thread Information