Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for Wacko

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for Wacko

If anyone saw the Nikolay Valuev (44 wins with 32 ko's) three round destruction of Owen Beck this past month it might have either raised & answered some questions for you.

Anyone? Questions?

Well...it answered some for Wacko...& also raised some for Wacko.

A smaller heavy (which I thought might be more effective at getting inside) was not able to get in. Valuev operated more efficiently with his jab & also put together some damned fine combinations.

Most effective were his body shots & his right hook.

...course that was just Owen Beck...but he did beat Ruiz, Donald, Etienne, Vidoz, & Nobles...but who are they?

Truthfully...I want to be sold on Valuev due to the fact that he's gonna make some tongues wag in the U.S. if he can make some wave across the ocean. Then again...that's the problem & the big question for me...who will Valuev have to beat to gain respect?

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for Wacko

With the lack of great fighters at heavy, Valuev will have to beat one of the other champions to get respect. If he beats a contender then everybody says that that person wasnt that good to begin with. I think Valuev is going to be one of those that he will have to beat a big name before people really start to recongnize him as being a legit fighter. I think that he is a good heavy (as shown in the Beck fight), he has a good jab and as long as he can keep that working then everything else comes off of it.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for Wacko

I would say a guy with decent to good power or a really good boxer....basically a title holder or big contender

Here's the list
    Wlad
    Rahman
    Liakhovich
    Byrd
    Peter
    Brock
    Toney
    Brewster

But in all honesty I think Danny Williams would give him the oppertunity to either look really good or get the shit kicked out of him...I'd like to see that fight even if it does involve 2 guys who are boring

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for W

I think Valuev could make life difficult for a lot of the guys out there. I would also imagine that he is still improving as he's only recently started to make a name for himself and to start to fight some better quality of opposition.

I can't in all honesty see him beating Wlad, although I would love to see it, but his size and awkwardness would cause a lot of trouble to the likes of Toney, Rahman, Liakovich etc.

I disagree with Lyle about wanting to see him fight Danny Williams, that would be painful to watch, but Matt Skelton should he beat Danny this month would be an excellent matchup.

Skelton wouldn't be intimitaded in the way that Danny doubtless would be and Matt would rough him up big time on the inside.

Fingers crossed that Skelton can ko Williams decisively this time around!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I am in the same boat as you guys here - I am still unsure about big Valuev and am really hopeful he can do the business. He certainly will draw the crowds and maybe add that something extra to the heavyweight division that has been sadly lacking in recent years. He did look good last fight but how good was the opponent is always going to be asked on this one with Beck. As with most things in boxing we will no doubt see in time what he can do. I am hopeful he can be one of the best and reinvigorate the big division once again.
    Also agree that I would like to see Skelton get the better of Williams in the rematch as I think we have probably seen all that williams has to offer already but do feel there is more to come from Skelton.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Questions raised or answered about Valuev? Some answered...some raised for W

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    I think Valuev could make life difficult for a lot of the guys out there. I would also imagine that he is still improving as he's only recently started to make a name for himself and to start to fight some better quality of opposition.

I can't in all honesty see him beating Wlad, although I would love to see it, but his size and awkwardness would cause a lot of trouble to the likes of Toney, Rahman, Liakovich etc.

I disagree with Lyle about wanting to see him fight Danny Williams, that would be painful to watch, but Matt Skelton should he beat Danny this month would be an excellent matchup.

Skelton wouldn't be intimitaded in the way that Danny doubtless would be and Matt would rough him up big time on the inside.

lol, Skelton sucks... He is a dirty mauler, who would be a perfect opponent for Valuev to look good against though imo.. I mean what is he going to do throw his bear punches at Valuev?? That guy is the bear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most of the above posts are credible, but please take tiny Byrd off of the list along with Toney. Valuev is going to make a fine draw for boxing and be good for it. Yes, all the negative name-calling and wishes for his humiliation will contribute too. Watch this focused and intelligent gentle giant and be surprised. He will one day laugh all the way to the Russky bank.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Raeder
    He will one day laugh all the way to the Russky bank.
    Either that or he ends up with his head stuffed and wall mounted over some rich russian mafia leaders fireplace, with his hide used as a welcome mat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Uh, oh. Russian politics. How about Makarov poisining? Valuev deserves better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Valuev will prove himself
    in a negative way
    cause the guys that can really box
    will use the right tactics
    the kind he wont be ready for
    i think he aint good enuff
    and will retire after het gets beaten by the big names:/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's nothing. Just a slab of meat in the ham sandwich that is the heavyweight division.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    With the lack of great fighters at heavy, Valuev will have to beat one of the other champions to get respect. If he beats a contender then everybody says that that person wasnt that good to begin with. I think Valuev is going to be one of those that he will have to beat a big name before people really start to recongnize him as being a legit fighter. I think that he is a good heavy (as shown in the Beck fight), he has a good jab and as long as he can keep that working then everything else comes off of it.
    Agreed. In the current state fo the division...yep...he'll do well with the second raters.

Honestly...& I might be thinkin waaaaaaaaaaay to outside of the box here...I think that he'll go far once he comes stateside & "meets the press" so to speak.

He's gotten a lot better since I first started following him...& dare I say that he's a guilty pleasure of boxing? You don't want to believe in him...but you want to behind closed doors...he's like a hardcore German Shizah flick...you don't wanna see that much shat...but you just have to watch out of blind curiousity! Heh heh heh.

I was really impressed with him from the Ruiz fight & from the Beck fight.

I know that no one rates those two...but he's done really well over the last 2 years & he's beaten the piss outta some skilled fighters. That has to be admitted. Come on people...this is good for boxing...anyway you slice it...you wanna see him either kill or be killed & that in the end will draw in viewers.

This cat makes the headlines or the front pages outside of our world...& he will if he is shown effectively...then we get more viewers & the heavies get a shot in the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I would say a guy with decent to good power or a really good boxer....basically a title holder or big contender

Here's the list
    Wlad
    Rahman
    Liakhovich
    Byrd
    Peter
    Brock
    Toney
    Brewster

But in all honesty I think Danny Williams would give him the oppertunity to either look really good or get the S*** kicked out of him...I'd like to see that fight even if it does involve 2 guys who are boring
    Disagree with you pretty much all over on this one. I think that Wlad, Rahman, & Toney would have the best shot at beating him...as far as the rest of the list goes...they'd be trouble...but Valuev has a hell of a chin to date.

Agreed.

Agreed again. His size is a huge factor & now that he can line up his combinations off of his jabs & that he has confidence from being a world champ...he could quite possibly be hell for the division.

I just want to see the guy do something abroad & make a dent.

I think he'd pretty much slaughter Skelton & Williams.

Agreed again once more. Williams would fall apart but Skelton would put up the better fight.

Don't care about either enough to wish for an outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatsd
    I think I am in the same boat as you guys here - I am still unsure about big Valuev and am really hopeful he can do the business. He certainly will draw the crowds and maybe add that something extra to the heavyweight division that has been sadly lacking in recent years. He did look good last fight but how good was the opponent is always going to be asked on this one with Beck. As with most things in boxing we will no doubt see in time what he can do. I am hopeful he can be one of the best and reinvigorate the big division once again.
    I'm unsure of Valuev too...but I do believe that win, lose, or draw in the U.S. that he will crack up the attendance meter for the 200+ boys.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatsd
    Also agree that I would like to see Skelton get the better of Williams in the rematch as I think we have probably seen all that williams has to offer already but do feel there is more to come from Skelton.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking

lol, Skelton sucks... He is a dirty mauler, who would be a perfect opponent for Valuev to look good against though imo.. I mean what is he going to do throw his bear punches at Valuev?? That guy is the bear.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeder
    Most of the above posts are credible, but please take tiny Byrd off of the list along with Toney. Valuev is going to make a fine draw for boxing and be good for it. Yes, all the negative name-calling and wishes for his humiliation will contribute too. Watch this focused and intelligent gentle giant and be surprised. He will one day laugh all the way to the Russky bank.
    True. Valuev's size...& I have never believed this before...is a huge factor for him.

The fact that he knows how to use it & does without being penalized is what wins him a lot of fights. He ties up effectively when hit proper & he also pushes around the ring with his body & not his arms. He can bull his way through & his clenches are hell. To date...no one has been able to get inside with him & I don't really know that they can, what with him jab functioning the way it does now.

I aint saying that he's a world beater...but he's getting the better of it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KickboxAmob
    Valuev will prove himself
    in a negative way
    cause the guys that can really box
    will use the right tactics
    the kind he wont be ready for
    i think he aint good enuff
    and will retire after het gets beaten by the big names:/
    Not so sure that I'd bank on that opinion. Ruiz knows how to box as do the last 5 opponents that he has faced.

Valuev, IWO, seems to be the type of fighter that is gaining ground with each win. He also fights at his pace throughout all 12 rounds. He's shown no stamina faults yet.

The problem is that he is being written off before he get's the chance to prove himself...believe me...I know...I wrote him off too...but so far I have liked what I have seen...& again...he's fun. He's a monster in the ring & he will be good for the sport if he can get off when he comes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    He's nothing. Just a slab of meat in the ham sandwich that is the heavyweight division.
    Disagree. That's just a bit too short sighted for me.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Valuev will draw a crowd just like the Joseph Merrick drew a crowd. 

As Valuev climbs the heavyweight ladder antimosity will swirl around him like a cloud of African Honey Bees.  The people will be clamoring for a hero to climb the beanstalk and murder the giant.

I don't see that happening though. Valuev will be toppeled soon enough, just be patient.

What I can imagine is him talking smack in a fight.  In some deep, growling and gravelly voice I hear him saying, "No hitting below the belt little man,"  while leaning forward and digging a huge elbow into each of his oppents collar bones.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla

Valuev will draw a crowd just like the Joseph Merrick drew a crowd.

As Valuev climbs the heavyweight ladder antimosity will swirl around him like a cloud of African Honey Bees. The people will be clamoring for a hero to climb the beanstalk and murder the giant.

I don't see that happening though. Valuev will be toppeled soon enough, just be patient.

What I can imagine is him talking smack in a fight. In some deep, growling and gravely voice I hear him saying, "No hitting below the belt little man," while leaning forward and digging a huge elbow into each of his oppents collar bones.

I actually think most people regard him as quite a loveable giant really. More Bigfoot and the Hendersons than the evil giant in Jack and the Beanstalk.

A true David and Goliath showdown with James Toney is flat out the fight I most want to see happen in boxing, a true spectacle.

El Kabong Guest

Valuev has a hell of a chin? Who is the biggest puncher he's fought?

People have no idea how he'll respond when he just gets ROCKED and his knees give way. I think he'll be like a Audley Harrison only too slow to run away from the other guy.

If Danny Williams can take VITALI KLITSCHKO'S best shots for 8 rounds he will have absolutely no problem dealing with Valuev's power (or lack there of). As long as DW comes into the fight in shape.

So is it true he's going to fight McBride next? If so that's about what everyone should expect from this guy for the remainder of his career.

Thread Information