Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idf there HAD been a Foreman-Ali rematch: your predictions?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Idf there HAD been a Foreman-Ali rematch: your predictions?

my predictions:

1st and foremost can we all just agree.......that Foreman does NOT NOT NOT fall for the rope-a-dope again?
    I mean saying he might fall all over for it again is saying ....................he's an idiot.

So how does the fight go, as George had never had to be smart and box before being KO'ed by Ali?
    Does it go the distance? Is there a KO again? What would each do differently?
    a rematch would have been quite interesting. I think it would have been a more exciting fight.

it could have gone either way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Idf there HAD been a Foreman-Ali rematch: your predictions?

If the rematch had happened in 1975 then i expect a similar result, post "Thriller in Manila" then i give George all the glory...i still cannot believe that Ali fought just four months after that 3rd Frazier fight!! Big George retired too soon in the 70's.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holmes/Foreman wold have become unavoidable by 77 or 78

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman Breaks Muhammad Ali's Face

The bout will be over by KO in 3.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    If the rematch had happened in 1975 then i expect a similar result, post "Thriller in Manila" then i give George all the glory...i still cannot believe that Ali fought just four months after that 3rd Frazier fight!! Big George retired too soon in the 70's.
    Would all depend on Foreman and his state of mind. Losing really threw Foreman for a loop. If he was recovered from the loss mentally, decided to fight like he had a brain, and used that great punishing jab he owned I could see Foreman winning.
    George Foreman is what I call a very serious dude. He is serious about what he says and does, he does not joke around about his job or what happens to him. He does not laugh at himself. Ever notice how forced George's smiles are in his commercials? If he says he is unhappy he means it and is ready to prove it any way it takes. Taking a loss is not easy for any of us but for a guy with Foreman's mindset, losing is not an option. Being knocked down and losing to Jimmy Young shows how the loss to Ali screwed with his mind. I do not think Foreman would have beaten Ali in a rematch, his confidence was rattled.
    Took a long time to get his head straight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    my predictions:

1st and foremost can we all just agree.......that Foreman does NOT NOT NOT fall for the rope-a-dope again?
    I mean saying he might fall all over for it again is saying ....................he's an idiot.

So how does the fight go, as George had never had to be smart and box before being KO'ed by Ali?
    a rematch would have been quite interesting. I think it would have been a more exciting fight.

Cant agree with the opening. I think he falls for it every time he would have fought Ali. He also would have fallen for Ali's head games and chatter just like Liston did. Lets be truthful here. Foreman could not box his way out of a wet paper bag. Frazier and Norton were a perfect match for a huge guy in comparison that preferred not to move. Both were one handed fighters that walked in repeating the same series. He never had to work. Ali was as fast as a middleweight even then, used the entire ring, had exceptional feet and lateral movement never seen in any heavyweight before or since. He had exceptional timing, a granite chin and an arsenal in punch selection from even odd and awkward angles. In short, he was better then Foreman in every aspect of boxing except power. All things being equal the bigger man wins All things were not close to equal and there was really no bigger man.

And btw Foremans lack of any dimension as a fighter was further exploited and shown to the world when he fought Young. When he couldn't simply club his opponent to the mat because he stood right in front of him he was lost. The only version of Ali he beats is the same one Holmes fought.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great question ! I don't think it's about Foreman falling for it again, more about Ali wouldn't be able to put himself through those tactics again.
    A rematch would see Ali have to fight "normally", and I don't think at that stage of his career he would be able to dance for 12 rounds. So I think Foreman would catch up with him late rounds and stop Ali. Surely even Ali couldn't take that?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali and the defeat was in his head and Ali would have the fight won from the opening bell.

Never really known the story behind why there was no rematch - did Foreman want one ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

George Foreman was psychologically broken after the first fight, he couldn't handle guys that would use movement and defense effectively. When he made his return he was a far more polished fighter.

Holmes could have taken him on points before his comeback, after his comeback George would have wrecked him IMO

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali would have beaten him again on points this time because George would not have blown himself out but would be too cautious to take any chances.

Note I have not used pink typing like bill.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ali would have beaten him again on points this time because George would not have blown himself out but would be too cautious to take any chances.

Note I have not used pink typing like bill.

Should be a law against that. Bad for the eyes.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Re: Idf there HAD been a Foreman-Ali rematch: your predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    my predictions:

Cant agree with the opening. I think he falls for it every time he would have fought Ali. He also would have fallen for Ali's head games and chatter just like Liston did. Lets be truthful here. Foreman could not box his way out of a wet paper bag. Frazier and Norton were a perfect match for a huge guy in comparison that preferred not to move. Both were one handed fighters that walked in repeating the same series. He never had to work. Ali was as fast as a middleweight even then, used the entire ring, had exceptional feet and lateral movement never seen in any heavyweight before or since. He had exceptional timing, a granite chin and an arsenal in punch selection from even odd and awkward angles. In short, he was better then Foreman in every aspect of boxing except power. All things being equal the bigger man wins All things were not close to equal and there was really no bigger man.

And btw Foremans lack of any dimension as a fighter was further exploited and shown to the world when he fought Young. When he couldn't simply club his opponent to the mat because he stood right in front of him he was lost. The only version of Ali he beats is the same one Holmes fought.
    I agree with most of what you said. Here is my question, with Ali being superior in every way except power, why did he lay on the ropes in front for a big puncher? Why wasn't he floating like a butterfly instead of doing the 'rope a dope'?
    Do you think he knew Foreman thought himself invincible? Maybe he just wanted to tire/slow him down and saw how well it was working, and went with it. It is hard for me to believe that Ali came into the fight thinking, I am going to find a nice spot on the ropes and let George bang away at me for most of the fight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    my predictions:

I agree with most of what you said. Here is my question, with Ali being superior in every way except power, why did he lay on the ropes in front for a big puncher? Why wasn't he floating like a butterfly instead of doing the 'rope a dope'?
    Do you think he knew Foreman thought himself invincible? Maybe he just wanted to tire/slow him down and saw how well it was working, and went with it. It is hard for me to believe that Ali came into the fight thinking, I am going to find a nice spot on the ropes and let George bang away at me for most of the fight.
    That was part of his thing and it actually became a skill and he could pot shot off them using the elastic aspect and he had faith in his chin and for good reason. He got so adapt at using them that Dundee was accused of toying with the tension. I dont think he ever feared power his entire career and did a lot of talking in the ring to power punchers. He would take chances most would not take even when he got dropped like in the Cooper fight. He'd yack at his opponent and that's most likely how he got his jaw broken in the Norton fight. He got caught clean mid sentence lol.

I think he knew that Foreman knew that in this fight he was not invincible. I'm sure Angelo and Ali both also knew that the man had barely fought more then 2 rounds in years and barely had to throw or work. I actually think he carried George. By the time Ali knocked him out George was throwing from the next town and even open handed. He was spent. Again I think both men knew that Ali was not the underdog. I found it odd at the time even though Ali was on the downside because the bookies seemed to ignore the style matchup and gave big George far to much credit for bouncing Frazier and Norton off the canvas. Those two would have came forward against a rhino.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ali looked scared as all hell in that very 1st rund though, no question, 1st round he was scared and didnt know what to expect and basically just went in DO OR DIE, you could see it on his face, and after he landed a few 3 punch combos, you could see him relax a little and think THIS SHIT IS GONNA BE EASIER THAN I THOUGHT

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali went for Foreman from round 1 as he did against Liston because he did not want them to think he was afraid of them.

Regarding the rope a dope, Ali was bouncing at the start of the first round and I think he said the surface was soft and decided that he could not keep moving for 12 rounds as is would zap his energy too quickly. I do not think his original strategy was to take that many blows.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information