Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default KING NOW COPROMOTER OF VALUEV FOR HIS NEXT 3 FIGHTS

The Times (of London) - June 05, 2006

King finds his Kong to take on the world again

By Ron Lewis
    Our correspondent hears the promoter's predictions for Nicolay Valuev after he retained his WBA world heavyweight title

DON KING had gone from hello to full rhetoric in about 30 seconds. Now he was quoting Shakespeare, talking of uniting Russia and the United States, and all the while giving praise to a huge man who had just left the room and did not understand a word he said.
    “He defends the honour of women. No one can hurt his wife in the parking lot, he helps the old lady across the street, he grabs the little baby from under the car - he’s a man of the people, with pride, dignity, compassion and understanding,” King said, hitting full flow. “Nicolay, Nicolay our new champion.”
    Nicolay Valuev had just gone up in recognition from lumbering giant to genuine heavyweight champion. The freak show had become a boxing show and King had his eyes on a genuine worldwide attraction.
    Owen “What The Heck” Beck had been handpicked to lose in Hanover on Saturday. He gave away 10in in height and 5½st in weight. In the first round he tried to swarm towards Valuev, who held him off with one enormous paw - the crowd laughed. Later in the round, a clubbing right buckled Beck’s knees but the vital moment for Beck’s morale came in the second when he landed an overhand right to the side of the Russian’s head and Valuev didn’t even blink.
    Valuev showed improved speed, he looked fitter - he had lost half a stone since winning the WBA title from John Ruiz in December - and threw powerful punches and combinations. Near the end of the second round, a six-punch salvo dropped Beck to the canvas. In the third, a right uppercut knocked Beck on his back. As he rose, dazed and with blood running down his nose, Luis Pabon, the referee, foolishly waved him back into action, only to jump to his rescue as Valuev landed with three shots.
    The German crowd that had sneered, booed and never warmed to the 7ft Russian stood and cheered. Valuev, for his part, smiled - a big, warm smile.
    King may be only the junior partner behind Wilfried Sauerland in the Valuev business, but that was not about to stop him. This was a monster he could take to America, this was a man he could take anywhere. “He will be undisputed champion of the whole world and people or all races, colours, creeds and religions can give praise to Nicolay because he doesn’t discriminate, he knocks them all out,” King said. “He’s a Russian and he’s coming with love.”
    Six months ago, King was promoting all four world heavyweight champions and promising a unification tournament between them. Now, he has sole promotional rights only to one - Sergei Liakhovich, the WBO champion from Belarus. Hasim Rahman, the WBC champion, left to join Bob Arum, while Chris Byrd, who has since lost his IBF title to Wladimir Klitschko, also walked away.
    In the past eight months, four world heavyweight title bouts have taken place in Germany and only three in the United States. It is a situation that King seems comfortable with. Famous for waving two mini American flags, King now talks of his love for “the Doitchland”.
    Sides are easily crossed. “There were a lot of Americans who didn’t prepare, they didn’t practise their trade,” King said. “Larry Holmes is one of the few that worked very hard, worked to succeed. He went to camp, suffering, cutting down trees, running up mountains, dedicating, going to church, working, working, working - that’s how you become a champion. The Americans have to get out there and rededicate themselves and persevere.”
    Plans are afoot for Valuev’s invasion of the United States. There will be a summer media tour followed by a defence in New York in September or October. Despite King’s talk of selling him as a man of the people, the big monster will be going to Broadway and King has in mind a photo-shoot on top of the Empire State Building. King has found his Kong.
    “America is yearning for him to come,” King said. “The bird of Russia is flying, the bird of Russia is singing. Everyone thinks he’s just a big oaf, that he can’t think, that he can’t speak - I beg to differ. He may not be able to articulate in the way Muhammad Ali did, but as he grows, he will learn.”
    It is all a far cry from Valuev’s first trips to America. He boxed twice at the Taj Mahal, Donald Trump’s resort on the Atlantic City Boardwalk. He won both times but nobody cared - he was just a sideshow oddball attraction.
    Now he is King’s life raft among the heavyweights. According to the contract, he is Valuev’s co-promoter only for his next three bouts, but he has plans to be around for longer than that. “There’s a contract of the heart,” King said. “He’s a good fighter, judge him on his talents. That’s why I’m clinging to him, there’s no way that I’m going to let him go as long as he remains human.”
    But why should Valuev stick with King? “I’m a money-getter,” King said. “The rest of them are just small time when it comes to getting money. I get money in bundles.”

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: KING NOW COPROMOTER OF VALUEV FOR HIS NEXT 3 FIGHTS

Well, this certainly bodes well in seeing Valuev have a big fight against some of the big american heavyweights. Once someone finds any american hw's that are at all decent. JFAT and Brock? Not exactly going to be much of a fight, and that leaves an unification with Rahman, if he hangs on against Maskaev and the money is right.

At least they'll have Valuev a bit more exposure on the world stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre the Giant won't last very long if he can't knock out John Ruiz.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Well, this certainly bodes well in seeing Valuev have a big fight against some of the big american heavyweights. Once someone finds any american hw's that are at all decent. JFAT and Brock? Not exactly going to be much of a fight, and that leaves an unification with Rahman, if he hangs on against Maskaev and the money is right.

At least they'll have Valuev a bit more exposure on the world stage.
    Agreed. I think that Valuev will do a lot for the division if he can knock out some American fighters on HBO or Showtime. The freak effect will do well for the sport & bump it up if he can perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Andre the Giant won't last very long if he can't knock out John Ruiz.
    Let me say this...he was kicking the shit out of Ruiz & I don't really see what the fuss was about. The reason that the crowd was booing was because the fight was actually competitive & that's good for Valuev having not fought a legit heavy...in though I hate Ruiz...he's tough to beat.

I'm not sold on Valuev by any means...but he has been winning, he's knocked out 32 fellers, & again...he would bring some attention back to boxing if he's sucessful.

Think about it.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wacko, you are totally correct and objective about Valuev. I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised at his "American" success. He is no Primo Canera, but a big powerful athlete with determination and a young family. Waaaaaaatch out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Raeder
    Wacko, you are totally correct and objective about Valuev. I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised at his "American" success. He is no Primo Canera, but a big powerful athlete with determination and a young family. Waaaaaaatch out!
    Man...you know what...I was really skeptical about Valuev...fwockit...I still am...but I'd love to see him come to the world stage & punch some tickets for the big show...it would definently turn some heads...

Remember what Bobb Sapp did for K-1?

Valuev would probably do so for boxing.

Could be wrong...but just look at how many people on here talk about Valuev vs Wlad...you know that 200+ needs something like this to get it going again.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

Since this is the case here are his next 3 fights

1) Not Wlad
    2) Not Wlad
    3) MAYBE Wlad, but most likely not

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeder

Remember what Bobb Sapp did for K-1?

Valuev would probably do so for boxing.

Yeah... make some noise then get KTFO and go down crying

El Kabong Guest

more like be a big freak show with no real talent to speak of

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Since this is the case here are his next 3 fights

1) Not Wlad
    2) Not Wlad
    3) MAYBE Wlad, but most likely not
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Thread Information