Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Just a few comments on the Pavlik V Hopkins fight

Ok firstly, i've always been a big fan of Bernard. Also how can you not like Kelly Pavlik? Anyhow, I just tonight got to watch the fight in total.

It's a shame for Kelly that he seems to have gone into the fight ill and possibly injured, but i can't understand why the fight was at a catch weight. Hopkins would have not had it as easy at middle weight and so don't see what this fight means to boxing or even to Hopkins. I watched the Hopkins V Calzaghe fight and still cant see how Hopkins can fight like this against Pavlik who hits hard, and then against Calzaghe who slaps. I still feel that the Calzaghe loss was a set up fight to meet Jones JNR. It seems to be a plan in place to me. But i quite enjoyed the fight anyway.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just a few comments on the Pavlik V Hopkins fight

Quote Originally Posted by bikersk View Post
    Ok firstly, i've always been a big fan of Bernard. Also how can you not like Kelly Pavlik? Anyhow, I just tonight got to watch the fight in total.

It's a shame for Kelly that he seems to have gone into the fight ill and possibly injured, but i can't understand why the fight was at a catch weight. Hopkins would have not had it as easy at middle weight and so don't see what this fight means to boxing or even to Hopkins. I watched the Hopkins V Calzaghe fight and still cant see how Hopkins can fight like this against Pavlik who hits hard, and then against Calzaghe who slaps. I still feel that the Calzaghe loss was a set up fight to meet Jones JNR. It seems to be a plan in place to me. But i quite enjoyed the fight anyway.
    I still feel that the Calzaghe loss was a set up fight to meet Jones JNR. Explain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not just for that fight but to bring Joe to the American audience and make him known. Beating Hopkins is huge in the USA. Just watching the 2 fights back to back - it's hard to see how Hopkins didn't fight the same against Joe. Now Joe fights Roy and if Roy wins - Roy V Hopkins rematch, Hopkins has been focused on for years and would be a huge fight. That's where i'm coming from.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe's win was arguable against Bernard, but all that aside. Bernard made Joe look horrible, I don't think that gains Calzaghe popularity in the United States. Why did he look better against Pavlik? Because Pavlik isn't as good as Calzaghe, Pavlik didn't make Bernard work as hard as Calzaghe did, and Bernard fought Pavlik the way he shoudl ahve foughten Calzaghe. I think it would have gone differently if he had stood his ground more against Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How the hell can you even suggest that the Calzaghe loss was set up? Fuck me I nearly fell off my chair!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah good point. I doubt it could be done even if they wanted to. I'm just getting a general sense of distrust about GBP these days. The Billy Dibb fight against Morali for example. Is GBP the new Don King?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's wrong with fighting at a catch weight, Pavlik just did it against Taylor not too long ago, he was OK then, plus he had a huge advantage in age. Joe as well as Bernard are just better fighters than Pavlik

Thread Information