Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Side gigs

Hey a while ago someone started a thread about side gigs. My wife sells a lot of stuff online. Crazy stuff, from plants to washing machines. Televisions are big sellers as well. Anyway I recently started an online watch store. I’m pretty much selling RADOS right now which are entry level “luxury” Swiss watches although I sold one Rolex Cellini at a decent profit. FYI Rolex sell well but the Cellini models are hard to move. If you have a side hobby that you can turn into a little business it’s pretty cool and can be fun. Basically you are dealing with arbitrage. It does take time, one night I spent 8 hrs online hunting deals and came up with nada. For me watches have always been fascinating. Ever since my grandfather gave me some ancient bulovas are was hooked. It takes a lot of study and working on a watch is seriously hard as hell. Especially the mechanical ones that are energized by your hand movent. They are so damn intricate and you actually need a microscope to do something like oiling it which sounds simple. Competition is brutal as well. Sometimes people overprice stuff by a thousand dollars and you know it’s worth about three hundred feel odd making an offer. You gotta realize you need to check out the watch and service it. @Master are you familiar with the Rado watch they are very popular in India.

So I couple people knocked me for my interest in watches but I’m quite pleased with with the opportunity's in starting a little business. Anyway I’m not suggesting anyway get into watch dealing. I have two 1970s rado at this time and I’m servicing then. These automatic watches take a lot of study and time. I’m still doing stocks and a little crypto but i like to give people a heads up on things on certain ones, only those who hahe showed interest in the past and I make clear I don’t recommend buying just suggest looking into things. If I can turn and burn a five percent profit I’ll go for it but crypto is pure speculation. Some of them really have some possibility of being widely adopted but it’s pure speculationl which I highly recommend anyone who has a bit of struggle stay away from. So I’m expecting a two three hundred return turn on my rados but that is really based on how I do with my repairs. This internet sales has really opened up a decent second economy for people and I know one guy who turned a small thing to a 150,000 Bucks a year business. It also always me to put money aside for my grail watch which is an omega. I avoid taking price on watches on here but I found a couple for 1,500 to 1,750. I’m also on a watch forum where we put up pics of our watches and some dudes own watches that honestly go for 150,000 thousand and more. I’m looking at one, not the 150k one, a dealer in England is selling. He is asking 200 and here in the US it can go for over 300 here but I need to factor in shipping and what not which would prob but me at a 50 dollar profit. So basically I’m not here bragging about money just explaining the business. It’s a lot of fun with a lot of risk if you don’t educate yourself.

Anyway just wondering how people are doing with side
    Gigs at this point.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Side gigs

Humour mate.

It's great that you have something that uses your hands and ignites your passion. Teaching yourself anything is the kind of thing life is for. I am shite at making money and even worse at hanging on to it. My whole life is a series of side gigs in a way, quite literally sometimes when you freelance.

Have fun. Did you help refresh Big Ben?

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I might have been one of them. really think watches are completely useless these days, just a clunky piece of jewelry. What about your other side gig, hanging out under a bridge jerking off dudes for 50 cents a pop. I heard you make five hundred bucks on a good night.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I might have been one of them. really think watches are completely useless these days, just a clunky piece of jewelry. What about your other side gig, hanging out under a bridge jerking off dudes for 50 cents a pop. I heard you make five hundred bucks on a good night.
    Business miles shows up 3 times a day and drunk Canadians form a line but they jerk and rum without paying

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never heard of Rado watches but they look cool but way too expensive.

I bought an reasonably expensive watch and was thinking of changing the strap as it was getting old. It cost more than the watch itself, so only wear it on special occasions.

Does anyone really wear watches now for everyday use?
    Last edited by Master; 03-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

I bought an reasonably expensive watch and was thinking of changing the strap as it was getting old. It cost more than the watch itself, so only wear it on special occasions.

@Master they are very big in India. Other people have brought up that watches are redundant and yes they are. We all have cell phones that tell the time but a large group of people look at it as an anti tech thing and appreciate them. So yes many ditched the old school watches but a large amount appreciate and seek a nice mechanical watch to separate themselves from tech even if it’s a small act of rebellion

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried stripping at a local joint recently but got tired of the rolls of Nickles being hurled at me. Good luck with the gig timekeeper, ever get an itch to go retro and walk around with a giant clock as a necklace?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I tried stripping at a local joint recently but got tired of the rolls of Nickles being hurled at me. Good luck with the gig timekeeper, ever get an itch to go retro and walk around with a giant clock as a necklace?
    Yeah I get it spics but I work on watches and restore what I can. If you ever pop the back of a well made mechanical watch and work on gears, springs etc it is quite amazing. It really is an art craft. Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona which is a beautiful watch and about 17,000 bucks recently sold at auction for 17.3 million dollars. I can’t argue with people who don’t like or think watches are stupid but I wish you could stop by as I dismantle each piece, have them all laid out in front of me and reassemble it. You then appreciate the craftsmen ship people put into it.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Master, I don’t know what Rados you look at. Yes some of the new ones are very expensive but I have a contact in India where Rados are loved and get the 1970’s and eights ones for around 100 bucks. I then do a restore try to keep the price at about 40 but if it needs parts it can be expensive as I like to keep it 100 percent original and sell it for 300 to 400 but I’ll take 275 as it’s more of a labour of love for me. I’m wearing a 1970 rado diastar I am testing at the moment. I don’t know what you consider expensive for a watch but if I can get a good solid Swiss made mechanical watch for 100 bucks that was made in Switzerland I prefer that over a modern quartz Seiko but having said that Seiko makes an excellent watch and some vintage ones go for just as much as a decent Swiss watch.

Seiko makes a watch called lord Seiko which measures up to the Rolex day date quite well and is under 2,000 versus up to 6k for that type of Rolex.
    Last edited by walrus; 03-22-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Humour mate.

It's great that you have something that uses your hands and ignites your passion. Teaching yourself anything is the kind of thing life is for. I am shite at making money and even worse at hanging on to it. My whole life is a series of side gigs in a way, quite literally sometimes when you freelance.

Have fun. Did you help refresh Big Ben?

TBH beanz I would consider it an honor to see Big Ben. Can you go up and get a look at the machinery or is that off limits

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Yeah I get it spics but I work on watches and restore what I can. If you ever pop the back of a well made mechanical watch and work on gears, springs etc it is quite amazing. It really is an art craft. Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona which is a beautiful watch and about 17,000 bucks recently sold at auction for 17.3 million dollars. I can’t argue with people who don’t like or think watches are stupid but I wish you could stop by as I dismantle each piece, have them all laid out in front of me and reassemble it. You then appreciate the craftsmen ship people put into it.
    I can imagine it's very precise and meticulous work and takes patience I definitely don't have . Bit like a jeweler with the big ol magnifier on. Did you have to take a break when you had the busted hand/finger? Seems a lot of people wear watches now solely to compliment the wardrobe package, look at any big name boxer and they are neeeever covered by a sleeve. Sounds like big money in restoration and collection though, definitely a craft.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s subjective. I do like the open heart watches but here is some picks of what some rate as beautiful watches. Just curious if you appreciate them or are like meh...

http://www.beautifullife.info/fashio...acular-models/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That J12 marine diver is sweet. The very last mysticum luxury one too. Pricey though, I'm going to see it my digital Timex still fits .

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That J12 marine diver is sweet. The very last mysticum luxury one too. Pricey though, I'm going to see it my digital Timex still fits .
    Oh spics I’d need to sell my rental place to buy one of these even the I wouldn’t. Unless I win lotto it’s way beyond me. Just wanted to put out those nice pieces. I can find a solid mechanical watch for 200. As a matter of fact believe it or not China produces a very nice mechanical watch called the seagull 1963. They are a reissue of a 1963 Chinese military watch but made on Swiss machinery China purchased. They are sought after by even the watch snobs with the million dollar collections. I have someone hunting some down for me but I’m not real hopeful of landing any but see what happens. Timex are cool. A few vintage ones they have are sought after but I like some of the new ones. Shit even some of the casios are cool. I have a number of cheap watches I really like. No sense buying for prestige and impress, if you got something you like, that’s good enough. One of my favorites is a 1940 Bulova I have that has no resale value. Maybe it would be worth 100 on a good day but I don’t care it is my favorite. Mind you I didn’t intend this to be all watches it was more about online sales any of you may be doing. It’s funny the thing people seek but I’m more than happy to discuss watches.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    It’s subjective. I do like the open heart watches but here is some picks of what some rate as beautiful watches. Just curious if you appreciate them or are like meh...

http://www.beautifullife.info/fashio...acular-models/
    They look awesome, a friend of mines collects watches and sees them as an investment. The ones he wears regularly are the ones he has insured.

I have a Seiko for over 20 years and never gone wrong just had to change the battery every 3 years.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information