Thread: Is Mike Tyson showing PD signs?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Mike Tyson showing PD signs?

Tommy Hearns had harder and more brutal fights every day in the gym than he ever did under the lights, on TV and with a neutral referee.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's weird really, you get some guys just starting out like Gervonta Davis who make Mike sound like a word smith. Chances are he had a smoke, maybe not, before these talk show interviews. The guy is doing regular stage appearances with decent crowds so not like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Tommy Hearns had harder and more brutal fights every day in the gym than he ever did under the lights, on TV and with a neutral referee.
    Here he is swapping shots with the greatest...

https://youtu.be/r2thglwsTak

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Sometimes its just a genetic thing. Take a look at someone like Wayne McCullough. In an xray he was chosen to have a thicker skull than most. Not that that has anything to do with it, but sometimes its the luck of a genetic draw. There are people out there that exercise everyday, stick to a vegan lifestyle, don't drink, don't smoke and die early anyway. Then there are people that eat bacon like chewing gum, drink life fish and smoke like chimneys and live to be a hundred. Diet, exercise and a good nights rest can maximize the most of what natural selection has given you.

I'm sure those of us that have nagging injuries can attest. (I have back problems from lifting something at work years ago and feeling a pop in my back, Had a Torn acl left knee, Partially torn, MCL in the right knee, Dislocated left Shoulder, 1 or 2 concussions, Multiple fractures in Fingers both hands, Tendonitis in my right foot, A partially torn Achilles in my left leg). As odd as it sounds from all stuff i've done to my body, i still feel better when i've moving and being active now. Rain sucks though. The body is fairly miraculous when it comes to healing itself if you give it what it needs. Head injuries take so long to heal though and they compound... so every successive concussion you get is twice as easy to get as the one before it and seem to be an area of the body that heals the slowest or not at all (in terms of returning to full function)

Mike didn't take that much damage in his life in the ring (Douglas, Evander, Lewis). As Gamo mentioned. The drugs and alcohol can play a part. Stuff that numbs the brain or deprives of it of oxygen can kill cells if oxygen isn't restored quickly enough. Which many of us never believe because we actually think we're funnier and more of a smart@$$ when we're Sh*tfaced.
    I agree @J_Undisputed most of these guys lived hard between fights
    And they weren't the smartest guys before they started Boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    People NEVER talk about the drug abuse (both legal and illegal), poor diet, lack of sleep (long hours of training and concentration) and oxygen to the brain (due to weight draining) and other physiological factors play a part in the brain damage fighters incur.

To say that all boxers should get brain damage because they box is like saying all persons with brain damage were boxers.

From my cursory glance, the guys who have slurred speech and traumatic brain disease can either be traced back to 1. Hereditary issues, or 2. One or more of the above aforementioned issues.

Drug abuse is a main key factor along with weight draining. Also, to be honest, most of these guys were barely literate before they started to fight. James Toney wasn't a Rhode Scholar and other guys just were street thugs who barely could make a sentence. Sure, some guys took too much punishment- Hearns, Norris (Terry), Benitez and now Shane Mosely, but.... NO ONE TOLD THEM TO STAY IN WAY PAST THEIR PRIMES, DOING THE SAME THINGS, WHILE BEING POUNDED BY GUYS YOUNGER, FASTER AND NATURALLY STRONGER THAN THEY WERE!!

To some extent, you have to be like Oscar and Floyd- both at the top of their games, both got out just when they should have before someone kills them in the ring!
    Great post @ykdadamaja
    There's nothing to prove Ali wouldn't have gotten Parkinsons had he not of Boxed
    And Ali lived the fast life between fights from what I've read. Tyson had an easy career
    He took two bad beatings decades apart (Dougles and Lewis) so Boxing isn't to blame
    If it wasn't for Boxing Tyson would probably be dead or doing life in prison right now.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson sounds alright to me. It's a shame he seems to have piled on some weight again though. If he is not exercising, then it does make you wonder what is going on. Tyson is one of those people that needs order and discipline because without it there is the chaos. He needs a healthy body to have a healthy mind.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems clear from his statement he isn't punch drunk.
    Attached Images

Thread Information