Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leigh Wood v Mauricio Lara 18/2/23

Last edited by TIC; 02-14-2023 at 01:36 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: leigh woods v mauricio lara september twenty fourth

leigh-thal leigh taking on tough opponents, xu can, mick conlan & now mauricio lara
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: leigh woods v mauricio lara september twenty fourth

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Mauricio Lara September 24th 2022

Leigh Wood will defend his WBA featherweight title against Mauricio Lara at Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena on 24 September.

"I maybe have a handful of fights left and I want them to be my biggest," said Wood, who produced a 12th-round stoppage of Michael Conlan in March.

The Nottingham Forest fan, 34, had wanted to fight at the City Ground but added: "I want to be tested. I'm filling arenas now.

"I want to keep that momentum going."

Mexican Lara, 24, fought Josh Warrington twice in 2021, beating him at Wembley Arena before a technical draw at Headingley.

Warrington is open to fighting Wood at the City Ground and the pair could meet in 2023, after Warrington defends his IBF belt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/62668393
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WBA featherweight champion Leigh Wood has been forced out of his eagerly anticipated fight against Mauricio Lara, which was scheduled for September 24.

The Nottingham fighter was set to defend his belt in his hometown but after suffering an injury in training his fight with Lara has now been postponed until a later date, according to a report from the Daily Star.

Despite losing its headline act, Eddie Hearn’s latest Matchroom card will still go ahead at the Motorpoint Arena, but it will now be topped by a lightweight clash between Kid Galahad and Maxi Hughes.

Elsewhere on the card, Hannah Ranking will defend her IBO and WBA super welterweight belts against former super-featherweight champion Terri Harper.

Wood was hoping to successfully defend his featherweight title for the second time in 2022 after scoring an incredible comeback win over undefeated pre-fight favourite Michael Conlan.

The Irishman dumped him onto the canvas in the first round of their featherweight fight. Wood got up, and fought back but was well behind on the scorecards after 10 rounds.

However, he dropped Conlan in the 11th, then spectacularly finished him off in the final round, knocking the amateur standout through the ropes.

A scary moment (thankfully Conlan was OK), but a stunning fightback from Wood, who was beaten by Jazza Dickens two years ago before establishing himself as a true player at 126lbs by beating Xu Can and Conlan back-to-back.

Lara is best known for his fights with IBF featherweight champion Josh Warrington.

The 24-year-old famously stopped the ‘Leeds Warrior’ early last year before their rematch was waved off after just two rounds due to a cut over the left eye of Lara.

Warrington opted against a third fight with Lara and instead squared off against Kiko Martinez who he beat to become a two-time world featherweight champion.

Wood and Lara are yet to comment on the postponement of their fight.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...le-nottingham/

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It appears Mauricio Lara is attempting to lure WBA featherweight champion, Leigh Wood, into a rescheduled bout.

The pair were originally supposed to fight in September earlier this year, but Wood was forced to pull out due to suffering a pulled bicep.

A new date has not yet been set and it seems Lara is trying to trash-talk Wood back into the ring, as he goes in pursuit of securing his first ever world title shot.

“We know that this English fighter [Leigh Wood] is a chicken…” Lara told Izquierdo.com

“England is like a second home to me. We know that English fighters run away from Mexicans.”

This comes after Lara recorded the best win of his career over another English fighter in Josh Warrington, back in 2021, despite ‘The Leed’s Warrior’ being a huge favourite going into the bout.

Lara, a relative unknown at the time, had Warrington down in the fourth round, but he managed to hold on until he was stopped in round nine.

In the rematch, the fight was called to a halt in the second round due to a cut over Lara’s left eye caused by an accidental headbutt.

The confidence and recognition Lara gained in the first fight with Warrington has now led the Mexican to believe that English fighters are easy pickings.

Wood, however, will be hoping to prove him wrong should they arrange a new date to clash in the ring, as he will look to defend his WBA featherweight strap.

The man from Nottingham is in the best form of his career currently, as he stopped Can Xu in 2021 to win his world title despite being the underdog.

Wood then followed up with a potential fight of the year knockout victory over Ireland’s Michael Conlan earlier this year, as he sent him out of the ring in the twelfth round.

So, even if Lara goes into this fight as a favourite, the Englishman will be anything but an easy touch, as Wood responded to his potential future opponent’s comments, saying: “The only person running will be him onto my right hand.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...cheduled-bout/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like this is set down for february eighteenth

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leigh Wood's title fight against Mauricio Lara rearranged for 18 February

Leigh Wood's fight against Mexico's Mauricio Lara for the WBA featherweight title has been rearranged for 18 February at Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena.

The pair were due to fight in September but Briton Wood withdrew with injury.

He has held the 'regular' title since July 2021 and most recently defended it against Michael Conlan in March 2022.

Wood was then upgraded to the WBA's only champion after Leo Santa Cruz vacated his 'super' belt last month.

"Mauricio Lara has made things personal between us with the disrespect he showed me regarding my injury and my country," said Wood.

"I'm going to show him what I'm all about."

Lara, 24, has insinuated Wood faked his injury to pull out of the original fight date.

"Your time has come Leigh Wood, no 'injury' can save you now from this." Lara added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64222603

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Mauricio Lara 18/2/23

can leigh survive mauricio's gun slinging ealry & take the fight into the later rounds?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When Leigh Wood's phone lights up with messages of criticism he smiles. For him, the hate is fuel.

Stored away are screenshots from his detractors, social media posts he reads and re-reads as he channels fury into focus.

But there is one he has taken particularly personally, and which he freely admits has consumed him going into his fight with Mauricio Lara on Saturday - a message from the Mexican himself.

The WBA featherweight title bout in Wood's home city of Nottingham was rearranged from September after Wood withdrew from the initial fight because of injury.

"He said that I faked my injury," Wood told BBC East Midlands Today. "He is going to say stuff, but it's that people read it and believe it that annoys me.

"He will have to pay the consequence for making it personal now. Saying that everyone is running away from him, [that] all the English are chickens. He will find out on fight night."

'I'm better, fitter & stronger'

A torn bicep stopped Wood from getting back in the ring against Lara at Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena.

It was there last year that the 34-year-old beat Michael Conlan in a brutally absorbing 12-round win what was judged by Ring Magazine as both fight of the year and knockout of the year in 2022.

"I get reminded of that fight 10 times a day," Wood said. "Even now, I'm tagged in a video of that knockout every single day.

"I'm ready for another knockout now because I'm sick of seeing it.

"I'm flying, I'm excited for this one. Honesty, I think it will be my best performance to date.

"I see myself winning by knockout and I would be surprised if it gets beyond the halfway mark.

"I want to show the world how good I am. I want to make my city proud."

The injury suffered last summer means Wood has not been in the ring for 11 months.

He does not gloss over the fact that the extended training camp and time spent away from family to prepare for the Lara fight has been difficult.

"It's hard work," he said. "But it's all for the win.

"It's just getting into the routine of it - getting better, fitter, stronger.

"I've had worse times in my career - not getting fights and not having any money.

"When you sacrifice so much, are away from home for so long, there is no way I'm walking out of this gym having not given it 100%.

"This is for myself. I don't know how good I am yet, what level I'm at yet. Winning a world title, defending a world title - I have a few steps to go."

The stoppage against Conlan meant Wood kept hold of the WBA's 'regular' title he first won in July 2021. That crown was upgraded to the WBA's only champion after Leo Santa Cruz vacated his 'super' belt in December.

Wood said the change was "good for the fans and the online trolls", who he says provide him with endless material to feed off.

"You can't be a sponge and absorb things from other people because it can affect your mental health," Wood said.

"When I see those things I share them, I save them, I reply sometimes and use it as fuel because a lot of times those people are saying things because they couldn't do it themselves, so they are trying to tell you you can't do it.

"I use it as fuel, and that fuel motivates me and sometimes even inspires me."

Mexican Lara, 24, who fought Josh Warrington twice in 2021 - beating him at Wembley Arena before a technical draw at Headingley - is a fighter Wood knows will demand his full concentration.

He sees the man known as 'Bronco' as "dangerous", but insists he has "everything to win".

"He's hot-headed and quite reckless," Wood said.

"I have to be on it from the first bell - I can't switch off. He said that, I know that and I'm not going to.

"I'm the smarter fighter, I'm dangerous and a big puncher.

"What he has to do to win is take chances. When he tries, I will be ready to end that fight at any time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64597695

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight looks very interesting. Sounds like it will be a war!!!!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be a good fight. What platform is it on?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dazn @primo and of the released schedule this looks like one of the much better matches. Love to see it but hard pressed to order dazn again after their 2nd 3rd rate increase.

Quality fight no doubt. Lara is a legit brick thrower but not like he cannot be caught with all those openings he creates. Problem for Wood is he'll have to be near perfect, very little mistakes and keep Lara lunging.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dazn is close to 30 Canadian dollars now, they do have the Champions league and all NFL games though but it's getting close to being cancelled for me too... They even have love.. shocking..it's a shame as it's definitely the best and easiest to use sports streaming service in Canada...

Interesting match up v two guys who weren't thought of to be that great, Lara was the underdog v wozzaand wood v can... Can looked dreadful v wood though and wood put up a good fight v Conlan but I think most days he would have lost that fight.. looks like he hits hard but I just don't think he's that good.. and British boxers don't fare well against mexicans a lot of the time so I'm backing Lara in this one.

Thread Information