0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin v Canelo 2 CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    We all learned a valuable lesson today. You duck a fighter for a couple of years with bogus claims of "marinating the fight" while you wait for your opponent to get a couple of years older. When you finally fight you get an Adelaide Byrd as a judge and get a bogus draw. Then you get caught cheating before the rematch and get a wink and a slap on the wrist from the commission.... thereby pushing the rematch back a few more months. By the time you get the rematch, the other guy is visibly older and slower. Perfect way to continue bloating your resume.
    Could of gone the Cotto route and said to Golovkin (studdering the whole time) "not only do I know I can't beat you. I'm not even going to try."

But he didn't

Cotto was a 154-pounder who should've never really ventured into MW. His body frame is too small. To call his avoiding GGG ducking is like saying Floyd ducked Wlad. So Cotto was always going to be too small for GGG. What was Canelo's excuse? Yeah that's right..... FEAR. Canelo could've been fighting at 160 or above years ago. But he preferred hiding from GGG at 154 and showing up 25 pounds heavier than his opponents on fight night.
    But he did, didn't he? And why? Cuz not only had his opponent not fought in over a year. But he was a fucking crippled with one good leg. In other words. It was cool to to go to middleweight to fight the crippled Martinez. But not cool to defend against the not crippled Golovkin. Figures.

Think about it. None of that matters when you're trying to make the case that Cotto ducked GGG. It doesn't make any sense. Cotto is not the same size as Canelo.... never was... never will be. Cotto was 154 max. Canelo is a light heavyweight hiding first at 154 and now at 160. Same M.O. as JCC Jr....... only Junior finally fought someone his own size and was made to quit on his stool. Like I said, credit to Canelo for his fight tonight..... but he waited for GGG to get old. 36 is old for a middleweight with the fighting style of GGG.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all learned a valuable lesson today. You duck a fighter for a couple of years with bogus claims of "marinating the fight" while you wait for your opponent to get a couple of years older. When you finally fight you get an Adelaide Byrd as a judge and get a bogus draw. Then you get caught cheating before the rematch and get a wink and a slap on the wrist from the commission.... thereby pushing the rematch back a few more months. By the time you get the rematch, the other guy is visibly older and slower. Perfect way to continue bloating your resume.
    Could of gone the Cotto route and said to Golovkin (studdering the whole time) "not only do I know I can't beat you. I'm not even going to try."

But he didn't

Cotto was a 154-pounder who should've never really ventured into MW. His body frame is too small. To call his avoiding GGG ducking is like saying Floyd ducked Wlad. So Cotto was always going to be too small for GGG. What was Canelo's excuse? Yeah that's right..... FEAR. Canelo could've been fighting at 160 or above years ago. But he preferred hiding from GGG at 154 and showing up 25 pounds heavier than his opponents on fight night.
    But he did, didn't he? And why? Cuz not only had his opponent not fought in over a year. But he was a fucking crippled with one good leg. In other words. It was cool to to go to middleweight to fight the crippled Martinez. But not cool to defend against the not crippled Golovkin. Figures.

Think about it. None of that matters when you're trying to make the case that Cotto ducked GGG. It doesn't make any sense. Cotto is not the same size as Canelo.... never was... never will be. Cotto was 154 max. Canelo is a light heavyweight hiding first at 154 and now at 160. Same M.O. as JCC Jr....... only Junior finally fought someone his own size and was made to quit on his stool. Like I said, credit to Canelo for his fight tonight..... but he waited for GGG to get old. 36 is old for a middleweight with the fighting style of GGG.
    And lest we forget most think GGG won. The poll on Fightnews, the poll of Eastside, the poll here. I don't think the Russians are hacking these polls.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he didn't

Cotto took advantage of a crippled Martinez. Fine. Doesn't matter how fucking small you wanna pretend you are. Now you're the middleweight champion. Fight your mandatory (Golovkin). He doesn't. Why? Cuz he's to small to fight him? Come the fuck on. He fights Daniel Geale instead. Who's the same fucking size as Golovkin. Only to you it doesn't matter
    '

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he didn't

Cotto took advantage of a crippled Martinez. Fine. Doesn't matter how fucking small you wanna pretend you are. Now you're the middleweight champion. Fight your mandatory (Golovkin). He doesn't. Why? Cuz he's to small to fight him? Come the fuck on. He fights Daniel Geale instead. Who's the same fucking size as Golovkin. Only to you it doesn't matter
    '

Don't make this about Cotto 'cause it isn't. It's about Canelo ducking GGG for a good couple of years when even his immediate family knew he had more than enough size to fight GGG at 160. But no..... let's let the fight (cough) "marinate". Meanwhile, Canelo up and fights Junior at 170. 160 is too big..... but let's do 170 for Junior. Gotcha.... wink, wink. Don't defend the indefensible. It doesn't look good.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look it's ok though. A fighter can make a career of fighting undersized guys to overcome his shortcomings. Canelo and Junior have made that into a science. Just be up front about it. Admit it. Say "I'm not good enough to beat guys my own size and in their prime, so I need to outweigh them by 25 pounds on fight night, or catch them on the decline." Nobody would think any worse of them than they already do. But it would be a little more respectable.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez beats Gennady Golovkin on points to take WBC and WBA middleweight titles

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez claimed the WBC and WBA world middleweight titles by inflicting a first career defeat on Gennady Golovkin with a gripping points win in their Las Vegas rematch.

The Mexican claimed a frenetic final round on two of the three scorecards which was critical in preventing a repeat of the draw both men shared 364 days earlier at the same T-Mobile Arena venue.

It gave him a narrow a 114-114 115-113 115-113 majority decision to edge a contest in which both men were cut and where each showed why they are among the finest practitioners in the sport.

Golovkin, whose first defeat comes in his 40th bout, left the ring immediately without conducting an interview as his rival - fighting for the first time since serving a six-month drugs ban - celebrated.

"My corner told me I needed to win the final round and that's what I did. I'm very emotional," said Alvarez, who has previously held world titles at middleweight and light-middleweight.

Golovkin told reporters afterwards: "I'm not going to say who won tonight, because the victory belongs to Canelo according to the judges. I thought I fought better than he did. We would like to have a third fight, we will negotiate that, that's what we want."

Alvarez looked close to tears after a decision which will again prompt controversy as, for spells in the fight, Golovkin seemed to be edging the physical side of a tactical battle, with his jab proving key early on.

But with scoring already criticised in their first bout before Alvarez's two failed doping tests in February, it is perhaps not surprising that once again controversy will remain attached to this rivalry, with demand for a third meeting almost guaranteed.

Few could argue the hype surrounding their second meeting was not justified as the bout ebbed and flowed. Celebrities including actors Will Smith and Denzel Washington, and sports stars such as Mike Tyson and LeBron James, sat ringside as more than 21,000 inside the arena were taken in by a bout in which neither man looked like capitulating even when under solid attack.

After Golovkin's poised jab clearly won the opening three minutes, Alvarez's response in the second - including a solid right uppercut - pointed to the back-and-forth contest that was to come.

All four judges gave 'Canelo' four of the opening six rounds despite some of the more eye-catching work coming from Kazakhstan's Golovkin, who landed a notable left hook in the fourth.

But Alvarez - who sustained a cut above his left eye which worsened as the bout developed - visibly began to close distance in order to nullify Golovkin's jab. At times their heads were almost touching, bringing hooks and uppercuts into focus, and Golovkin sustained his own cut from a head collision.

Alvarez, a man steeped in the art of fighting with six brothers who also hold professional boxing records, remained game in walking forward repeatedly, a contrast to his a largely back-foot performance last time.

His mother was pictured praying at ringside after a ninth round which saw both men launch repeated attacks and Alvarez almost came unstuck in the 10th as a left hook to his jaw briefly rendered him limp, only for him to somehow quickly rediscover his poise.

But his work up close perhaps won the judges over. Ringside stats showed Alvarez landed 46 body punches compared to six from his rival but after landing a right to the body and left to the face in the final round, he ate two uppercuts in the closing 10 seconds as both men responded to the noise around them.

They embraced before each raising their hands but the cards prompted Mexican celebration on the country's Independence weekend.

"If the people want another fight then we'll do it again," said Alvarez, beaten only by Floyd Mayweather in a 53-fight career. "We'll do it, no doubt."

Former super-lightweight world champion Amir Khan: "What a fight. I gave the fight to Canelo. It was toe-to-toe action. Very exciting. Canelo surprised us all with the come forward pressure game plan. Well done to both Canelo and GGG. Boxing needed this."

LA Lakers basketball player LeBron James: "One of the best fights I've ever seen! Ultimate competitors in Canelo and Triple-G! Salute to the both of you. Could watch y'all fight any day."

Former world heavyweight champion George Foreman: "Canelo Brave as a Bull! Congrats! Made a puncher Box. I didn't expect this. Need one more between these great fighters."

Northern Irish featherweight Michael Conlan: "I don't think it was robbery, had Canelo winning and I really wanted Triple-G to win. Some very close rounds that could have gone either way. Canelo's body work, sharp counters and punch output stole it for me. Great fight with two great champions!"

Sydney 2000 Olympic gold medallist Audley Harrison: "I just can't see that result - Canelo did a great job but he didn't do enough to win in my opinion. Great fight, but GGG can feel that decision should have gone his way. No third fight for at least a year guys (long rest)."

Northern Irish featherweight Carl Frampton: "In hindsight a lot of the rounds were close. I edged to Triple-G but can we please applaud the smaller man Canelo's chin."

In essence the judges were only one round adrift and that's how close it was.

Controversy will be generated. There are bound to be boxing fans out there who felt Canelo won and there will be loads of people shaking their heads.

All judges were in agreement for the first six rounds, it was 4-2 at that stage and we ringside had it the other way around to Golovkin.

There will be an awful lot of talk for the next few weeks and that is one upside for the sport. It wouldn't have got this amount of talk had it not been a controversial result. If the third fight does happen, you would imagine it would happen back here in May next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/45538350
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had the first half for GGG based on the jab and outlanding Canelo. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. 4-2 Canelo after 6 is nonsense. The other way makes more sense. Canelo was hitting gloves and missing. You could see GGG ramrodding the jab home. Canelo had his moments but it was GGG doing more damagein the second half too. I had it 8-4. I can see it being 7-5, but it was GGG and all polls and most of the media agree with the best result for Canelo being a draw. It's a bad result for boxing.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funk me, this sums the fight up great in 60 seconds, even has the best punches landed by each (and Oscar in fishnets )

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LMFAO!! Wasn't quite expecting that, but very accurate, down to the number of punches (and Oscar's wardrobe and demeanor).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finally grabbed a chair and watched the fight . Nothing but awesome. At the end had 115-112 Golovkin with the pressure and damage at the end. Canelo did exactly what he said he would do and stepped into the fight looking to trade on even terms and he had Golovkins respect and frankly made him look awkward and iffy early. The speed bothered him and he damn near jumped back from a left hook to the body in the 6th. Don't know what it is but I hate Golovkin in that herky jerky moving side step look but Canelo forced it. Down the stretch Canelo was really winding up with superb body shots mixed in but it was Golovkin who steadied and grew stronger in exchanges. I'm not so convinced a taxing fight like that doesn't sit on Canelo just as much as a Golovkin in his late 30's and would like to lobby for 15 rounds in third go . It was a fantastic damn scrap and credit to both.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Spicoli

Well hell..... better late than never. You're esteemed vote in the poll would be most appreciated, sir.

Thread Information