Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I'm becoming more sensitive to stoppages nowadays!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I'm becoming more sensitive to stoppages nowadays!

I dunno how I got this way?!? I used to watch beat downs and savagery without a whimper, but nowadays I am pleading with ref's from my screen to stop fights. And when I look at older fights I am cringing with pain wondering how, or why, on earth didn't the ref stop some of these fights sooner?

Maybe because I'm getting older, but I feel as if a guy got knocked down once or twice, then he takes more than 5 flush shots to the face unanswered- no return fire, no will to counter-punch and no sensibilities to tie up at least, then the fight should be stopped. The fighter clearly can't defend his, or her, self.

What do you think? I know there are some other "sight" issues with regard to stoppages, but I am becoming a little more sensitive to stoppages.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I'm becoming more sensitive to stoppages nowadays!

We don’t see the glazed deer in the headlights look that refs do so consequently there are many fights that I question as quick or bad stops. In addition there have been and continue to be refs that carry scripts delivered to them before the fight. It’s tough to prove. What they do need is instant replay to stop terrible kd calls. When the ref calls a slip a kd the score keepers are obligated to consider that in their round tally. Very few ignore that call even though they saw it for themselves. I bet if they asked half the people where they were after a clean kd instead of wiping their gloves and walking forward they'd stop a lot more fights.

I agree with the take overall though. I have yelled at the tv before asking for the towel and it could be age.

What used to really bother me back in the day was when refs would stand over a guy in a coma counting to 10.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I dunno how I got this way?!? I used to watch beat downs and savagery without a whimper, but nowadays I am pleading with ref's from my screen to stop fights. And when I look at older fights I am cringing with pain wondering how, or why, on earth didn't the ref stop some of these fights sooner?

Maybe because I'm getting older, but I feel as if a guy got knocked down once or twice, then he takes more than 5 flush shots to the face unanswered- no return fire, no will to counter-punch and no sensibilities to tie up at least, then the fight should be stopped. The fighter clearly can't defend his, or her, self.

What do you think? I know there are some other "sight" issues with regard to stoppages, but I am becoming a little more sensitive to stoppages.

Your turning into a softie , nothing wrong with that.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt you're the only one. The concussion, CTE and TBI issues are spreading through pro sports like wild fire, especially now that footballer's families have evidence for litigation. The truth is we are just now starting to know more about it than ever before. Combine that with fight sport specific issues like cutting water weight so drastically that it effects the fluid surrounding the brain (that ultimately provides a cushion of sorts for the brain when the head snaps violently in one direction or abruptly stops), and it's the killer in the room that anyone making money off the sport refuses to acknowledge because its attached to their meal ticket.

To me, its a gladiators sport. This isn't a contact sport with where the pads are supposed to save you. You have 2 guys that know they can get KTFO but refuse to believe it, go in stripped down and try to cave each others head in. (all the people that say they're there to entertain or perform... if they could ko people with the first shot they land, take the check and run.. they would.) But in a sport like boxing where violent trauma could end it for you. Avoiding the first shot is just as important as avoiding the last (because there's always a possibility that they could be they could be the same shot)... or the last 5 shots unaswered. The only difference is you only need to take the first one to get your check. The last 5 that cave your head in usually come with bills, a lot of them. (hospital, doctors, therapy, prescriptions, funeral parlor)

Just because you have someone like floyd saying he's performing... doesn't mean hes taking less of a gamble with his life or that of his family or his kids. Having Great defense, overprotective refs, pre fight glove mandates, etc... may bolster things but all it will ever take is one shot to change your life. The perfect punch at the perfect time with perfect placement and distance... whether its intended or totally blind ... can be all it takes.

There are people that walk around with previously undetected brain issues or undiagnosed conditions that live a full life because through luck they avoided any kind of brain trauma. Just as there are people who trip at fall while in their physical prime and die from a small bump to the noggin. You never know when your ticket will be punched (no pun intended.. but funny how that worked out).
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

..... and yet people still gush over this.....

Unconscious MMA fighter hit three times after KO - News

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Have never understood that. Look at risk of sounding hypocrite, we as fans have seen arms clearly break or dislocate, guys fight on and be hit with there jaws hanging open, ears literally punched off to the point of hanging there and so many hung up on ropes being bashed..but really one of the most gruesome is a guy clearly unconscious and defenseless with another sitting on his chest punching his skull repeatedly into the canvas. Refs are really a step behind there as physically do mma refs ever sprawl low when guys 'ground and pound'? From stand to stoop isn't much time..but its time enough for follow up shots to get in.

The Aleem v Cepeda fight on the Tuesday pbc card looked very much like a beating you watch through a barely closed palm over your face. Crew and crowd just going crazy over "WHAT A WAR" but Cepeda was being beaten to a pulp for most part. In these type of fights you can feel some twisted sentimental feel take over in a brutal catch 22 and its all wrong. A guys ability to endure a beating is why the crowd boos and you hear "there was only one round left, he could have made it or deserved to". All I was thinking was the kid is being mashed up off of 14 month layoff and the true effects will not be fully known until they bring him back shortly vs another fresher prospect that his style will ensure.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a fight should be taken to its conclusion and that is why top fighters are paid the money they are. I don't want to see a million Calzaghe type stoppages.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yea... MMA has issues with this. Really!!

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think with age and a near fatality it is human nature to be more sensitive about brutal fights. It is natural.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think with age and a near fatality it is human nature to be more sensitive about brutal fights. It is natural.
    Maybe. But as someone said earlier on this post, some fights, even when the guy is clearly outclassed but technically "in" the fight, perhaps we should look at that too. But if we start doing that then we take away a good comeback, and some guys may be better down the stretch than in the early rounds.

Hidden Content

Thread Information