Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    First and foremost I hope all you fuckers are doing well... Been a while since I posted here. I missed you (some not all) sad fucks. For those who don't know me damn! I've been gone too long. For those that do, fuck off!

So I was thinking as Floyds career begins to wind down where will he end up in my all time list? Keep in mind lists are like assholes. Everybody's got one. Depending on how you rank fighters. He can be top 100, top 50 or in my case 30-40.
    THE ONLY THING FLOYD LACKS COMPARED TO THESE GUYS IS OPPOSITION.
    Even then he gets full credit from me for his fights vs. Chicanito Hernandez, Cotto, Corrales, Hatton, C. Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo. Since the Mosley fight regardless of how you view his opposition he has fought some top names. He just makes them look mediocre. Even after he settled in vs. Maidana he was making him look slow and average at times.
    Keep in mind I DON'T rank fighters whom I don't know enough of and or have not seen enough footage to judge them on. I simply refuse to rank fighters I've seen and know a lot of with fighters whom I've only read of. With that being said over time I've learned more and more about a lot of fighters whom 8 or 9 years ago I did not know much of and now today I can rank them.

Notable fighters I don't rank: Sam Langford, Harry Greb, Bob Fitzsimmons, Joe Gans, Benny Leonard & Mickey Walker among others.

So here it is for you to shred & tare apart... Where does Floyd rank all time? Today for me anywhere between 30-40.

40. Oscar De La Hoya
    39. Carlos Zarate
    38. Miguel Canto
    37. Manuel Ortiz
    36. Lou Ambers
    35. Dick Tiger
    34. Marciano
    33. Saldivar
    32. Wilfredo Gomez
    31. Holyfield
    30. Olivares
    29. Hopkins
    28. Harada
    27. Carlos Ortiz
    26. Ike Williams
    25. Hearns
    24. M. Spinks
    23. Jofre
    22. Sanchez
    21. Lopez
    20. Arguello
    19. Napoles
    18. Emile
    17. Kid Gavilan
    16. Roy Jones
    15. Hagler
    14, Canzoneri
    13. Pernell
    12. Ross
    11. Louis
    10. Monzon
    9. Chavez
    8. SRL
    7. Archie
    6. Pep
    5. Duran
    4. Ezzard
    3. Ali
    2. Armstrong
    1. SRR
    Dude. I respect your boxing knowledge because I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about boxing, but some of the names on that list even I have not heard of.

Ike Williams ? Who ?

Have you really seen enough of him fight to say he's deserves to be numbers 26 ? Have you seen Eder Jofre fight ? or Miguel Canto ?

With youtube now there is probably not a top fighter that we can’t see but sometimes people get misty-eyed about fighters because I judge on what I see and when I youtube the likes of Carlos Monzon. I’m sorry but to me, he don’t look anything special

The Micheal Spinks at number 24 is just outrageous, you have really overloaded the B.S meter in my brain with this one. Micheal Spinks ? but no Tyson ? Even though Tyson barley broke a sweat in beating him ?

Also how do you rank fighters ? Is just purely on who would beat who ? Or who had the best career ?

Because I can help but think that Roy Jones terrible loses towards the end of his career has to take away some of his shine, same with SRL. The likes of Hagler did not damage his legacy by carrying on too long and get beating by lesser guys.

I would say Hopkins deserves to be ranked MUCH higher, probably in the top ten.

I think Marciano at number 34 is too low

But you put Ezzard Charles at an extremely lofty position at number 4, even though Marciano beat Charles TWICE and beat Joe Louis (Yeah Louis was probably past it beat he was STILL Joe Louis and was still very good fighter) and Ezzard Charles did lose 25 of his 93 fights but Marciano remained undefeated for the rest of career, yet you think Ezzard Charles is 30 points better than Marciano ?

I can't argue with Duran being number five even though he did lose to fighterss below him (Hagler,
    hears, SRL)

Ali at number 3 seems fine.

From what I have seen of Henry Armstrong, Mayweather beats him all day, that Mauling Ricky Hatton is style is made for Mayweather. I think Maywqeather schools him. I don’t see enough finesse in his work to trouble Mayweather but any fighter that can win world titles from feather to middle weights deserves respect but I think it’s that fact alone is the reason why people rank Armstrong so high

Sugar Ray Robinson at number 1 ?

No question. Even on youtube he still looks as bad as hell. He was one of the few past fighters to have the finesse and speed of a modern fighter. He lulled his fighters into a false sense of security but then could explode with a barrage of punches to take out a fighter

Finally No Jack Johnson ? No Sandy Sadler ? No Jack Dempsey ? No Gene Tunney ? No Mike Tyson ?

But you put in Micheal Spinks !!!!!!

I still can't believe that (lol)
    Last edited by denilson200; 05-13-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

40. Carlos Zarate
    39. Miguel Canto
    38. Manuel Ortiz
    37. Lou Ambers
    36. Dick Tiger
    35. Marciano
    34. Saldivar
    33. Wilfredo Gomez
    32. Holyfield
    31. Olivares
    30. Hopkins
    29. Harada
    28. Carlos Ortiz
    27. Ike Williams
    26. Hearns
    25. M. Spinks
    24. Jofre
    23. Sanchez
    22. Lopez
    21. Arguello
    20. Napoles
    19. Emile
    18. Kid Gavilan
    17. Roy Jones
    16. Hagler
    15, Canzoneri
    14. Pernell
    13. Ross
    12. Louis
    11. Monzon
    10. Chavez
    9. SRL
    8. Archie
    7. Pep
    6. Duran
    5. Ezzard
    4. Ali
    3. Armstrong
    2. SRR
    1. Bruno
    i know you know you made the mistake and i dont want to sound like the all time top 40 boxers police but ive made the correction for you
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

Can't help but notice the GLARING omission of 'The Ghetto Wizard' Benny Leonard

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cant believe Maricano at 34 and Lennox Lewis not even in there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Floyd's win over Canelo is going to look very good in the next few years.

I'm not a fan of Canelo, but I do recognize that he has skills, and has greatly improved in the last year or so. In the Trout fight alone, he showed good head movement and counter-punching ability.

El Kabong Guest

40. Oscar De La Hoya
    39. Carlos Zarate
    38. Miguel Canto
    37. Manuel Ortiz
    36. Lou Ambers
    35. Dick Tiger
    34. Marciano
    33. Saldivar
    32. Wilfredo Gomez
    31. Holyfield
    30. Olivares
    29. Hopkins
    28. Harada
    27. Carlos Ortiz
    26. Ike Williams
    25. Hearns
    24. M. Spinks
    23. Jofre
    22. Sanchez
    21. Lopez
    20. Arguello
    19. Napoles
    18. Emile
    17. Kid Gavilan
    16. Roy Jones
    15. Hagler
    14, Canzoneri
    13. Pernell
    12. Ross
    11. Louis
    10. Monzon
    9. Chavez
    8. SRL
    7. Archie
    6. Pep
    5. Duran
    4. Ezzard
    3. Ali
    2. Armstrong
    1. SRR
    There's a bunch of white dudes and Hispanics listed above Floyd....you danged racist!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well done for doing the list, at least the people who think Floyd is the greatest boxer ever can now be told to get their head out of his ass.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@denilson200 you do know that Spinks had a great career before he entered the heavyweight division?
    You do know that Ezzard Charles beat Archie Moore and probably the best light heavy ever?
    You do know that Armstrong won and held titles at featherweight, lightweight, welterweight at the same time?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    no HOLMES......no TYSON..........oh dear....also no Chris Eubank....surely a mistake
    Job Biscuit (Having butter scones in the garden)!!!!
    eh eh!!!
    @Otley Holmes & Tyson I believe come in my top 50...

Eubank if I had to give you a number I would say top 100.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Mick!!! Oh sheit! Welcome back. Hella happy to see you here...

since 'selfies' have really kicked off, I imagine you've been pretty busy ay?

I agree with not rating people who you haven't seen.... I tried looking for footage of Harry Greb recently and it was like looking for footage of Jesus!
    @Jimanuel Boogustus How's it go fella?
    I like to think of myself as a innovator of the selfie.
    I pretty much made them what they have become today.
    Good to catch up with you too.
    That I know of no fighting footage of Greb exists.

But I did find A LOT of footage of Sugar Ray Robinson at 147 (Welterweight) it was long believed that no actual fights of his at this weight existed on video. That is false I have seen him at his peak. Amazing.
    Last edited by CutMeMick; 05-13-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Don't call it a comeback!! Ha. Agreed on his area of rank though ATG list can at times be as subjective and broad as even a p4p list. Titles, defences, opposition, or just looking at a guy and knowing he's more skilled...etc. Its a big difficult ball of wax at times. I'd have a hard time putting Sr. in the top 10 but that's just me. Jones I still have not cracking 20 ish and put Lopez ahead although like you said he too may take strikes because of lack of comp or even moving up. But on skill and pure craft Lopez, on athleticism and phenomenal reflex Jones. I still think Mayweather will always regret his departure immediately after Hatton as the division seemed to pass him by and he indeed missed some big opportunities to cement greatness. I gotta crash. Welcome back chief!
    @Spicoli completely agree with you solely based on craft and ring generalship NO ONE comes close to Finito Lopez... Arguably the closest thing to a perfect boxer if one has ever existed.
    I also agree on the bit of Floyd taking his mini vacation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How did you find SRR footage like did you go to a archive or somthing thought that shit was gone in a fire or something right. Also do you have any on Tunney at all besides the Demsey fights. I really think that we should have a atg list done like old generation new one because they are so different now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also good to see you back i like to see Ice Britkid and Saddo come back but i think they are long gone. I would rank Holyfeild tad higher since there has never been a Heavyweight move up to hw and be considered a top 10 atg hw. Which is saying a lot when giving up 20 to 40 pounds in a fight is big deal.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Dude. I respect your boxing knowledge because I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about boxing, but some of the names on that list even I have not heard of.
    @denilson200 I don't consider myself pretty knowledgeable... I'm just a student of the game. I learn and feed off everyday reading and research. I pick up bits and pieces and ideas and do the work.

When I first saw the length of your reply I was honestly happy as I like debating and sharing details and info. that's how I learn and then I read your response...

Ike Williams ? Who ?
    If you don't know who Ike Williams is then I'm not sure I can go past this part of your response and answer the set of questions...

I Have you really seen enough of him fight to say he's deserves to be numbers 26? Have you seen Eder Jofre fight ? or Miguel Canto ?
    I have a little over 6,000 fights saved in a hard drive that form part of my fight collection. I have exactly 8 complete Ike Williams fights. I have seen more then enough footage and have done the research to comfortably rank him at #26.
    I have exactly 4 complete Eder Jofre fights. I have seen more then enough highlights and footage as well as done research to comfortably rank him.
    I have exactly 13 complete Miguel Canto fights. I have seen more then enough footage and have done the research as well as become good friends with his son on Facebook to rank him.

As I mentioned I was really looking forward to replying to your entire comment but if you honestly don't know who Ike Williams is, it's best you learn about him. Then you can comeback and question me.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep in mind I DON'T rank fighters whom I don't know enough of and or have not seen enough footage to judge them on. I simply refuse to rank fighters I've seen and know a lot of with fighters whom I've only read of. With that being said over time I've learned more and more about a lot of fighters whom 8 or 9 years ago I did not know much of and now today I can rank them.

Notable fighters I don't rank: Sam Langford, Harry Greb, Bob Fitzsimmons, Joe Gans, Benny Leonard & Mickey Walker among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Can't help but notice the GLARING omission of 'The Ghetto Wizard' Benny Leonard
    @El Kabong see above...
    From my original post.

Thread Information