Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sanctiong body madness with Char and Bryan

The WBA has Anthony Joshua AND Manuel Char as their heavyweight champions (HOW CAN TWO CHAMPS BE WITHIN THE SAME SANCTION BODY??)....and now they just added Trevor Bryan as ANOTHER "World Boxing Association heavyweight champ"?

How much further do these sanction bodies have to go to destroy the legacy of the real championships of the world ??

This as taken from a quote from Iceman John Scully former title contender and now trainer.
    Last edited by holmcall; 08-21-2018 at 10:23 AM.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sanctiong body madness with Char and Bryan

Yes we have a thread about it already.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruiser is probably the worst example.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yess...... I'm waiting for 5 WBA "world champs" in the same division. They need to think of another name for it.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The IBO is starting to gain a little traction. When do we as fans star the line?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The IBO is starting to gain a little traction. When do we as fans star the line?

Good question bro. One we've asked here more than a few times. Some will answer "just stop buying tickets or PPVs", but I think a more realistic answer is needed. When will we get fed up? When there's 26 alphabet orgs and each one has 8 "world champions" in each weight division? I don't know. It's pretty ridiculous already.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Good question bro. One we've asked here more than a few times. Some will answer "just stop buying tickets or PPVs", but I think a more realistic answer is needed. When will we get fed up? When there's 26 alphabet orgs and each one has 8 "world champions" in each weight division? I don't know. It's pretty ridiculous already.
    I think it's up to the fighters as well, Eubank wanted to be a champion so his IBO title was real in his and his fans' eyes. I think 4 is more than enough.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's up to the fighters as well, Eubank wanted to be a champion so his IBO title was real in his and his fans' eyes. I think 4 is more than enough.

Fighters like AJ and GGG would probably bristle at talk of more belts per division. But fringe guys who otherwise would never be "champ" would probably welcome 5 or more "world titles" per division. By god, how many more names can they make up? There's "regular", "interim", "super"....... it's gotta be a challenge to keep thinking of "title-sounding" names. Maybe they can come up with "super-duper", to mean the guy who's the champion of the champions.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters like AJ and GGG would probably bristle at talk of more belts per division. But fringe guys who otherwise would never be "champ" would probably welcome 5 or more "world titles" per division. By god, how many more names can they make up? There's "regular", "interim", "super"....... it's gotta be a challenge to keep thinking of "title-sounding" names. Maybe they can come up with "super-duper", to mean the guy who's the champion of the champions.
    In regards to AJ (and I'm not just singling him out, there have been others as well) when he is announced, the IBO is always noted. He should put his foot down and make a stand.

The problem is we don't have 1 respectable body that we can all get behind and support. The Ring is a perfect example, with past incidents and having De La Hoya as an owner. The TBRB came into it with good intentions, but stringent rules and no consistency has basically become a joke.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I’ve said before, I honestly don’t really pay attention to belts. The only reason I’ll bring them up is as an excuse to unify because a good fight can be made. I couldn’t care less about the actual belts. That’s also why all of these title defenses and multi weight champions are all a joke. It was much harder to be Joe Louis with 25 defenses with one title than it is now where you can start defending your belt long before you are even the best in the division.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    As I’ve said before, I honestly don’t really pay attention to belts. The only reason I’ll bring them up is as an excuse to unify because a good fight can be made. I couldn’t care less about the actual belts. That’s also why all of these title defenses and multi weight champions are all a joke. It was much harder to be Joe Louis with 25 defenses with one title than it is now where you can start defending your belt long before you are even the best in the division.

Smart approach. Just ignored them.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think most of us feel the same way.

But what's the solution? All 4 belts to unify? Before it was 3. Next it'll be 5, then 6. Then you get fans that sh-t on a guy like Crawford who unified all four but think his record is weak. No one else did it at that time. If it's so easy everyone would do it.

I like the idea of 1 vs 2 to fill a vacant championship. But then you get those that will argue who decides who 1 and 2 are.

I think if the overwhelming majority consider the fight to be between 1 and 2 it should qualify. With the sanctioning bodies creating new titles/ championships and stripping an active champions, unifying all belts (how many could be considered in say 10 years to unify) the belts/ bodies are diluting themselves and their relevance.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bottom line with trinkets is quality over quantity for me. Who'd you beat for what you're wearing. I think some big 'stars' now have it in their mind that it's a game of collection. They can actually benefit from status in the hunt, do less in respected division than a long ranked top 5-10 guy who may have competed with far better competition. Name and a trinket in a lower division will let you walk right into higher division for a shot right off. Basically a door prize. Adrien Broner is considered making 'history' because he is a 4 division champ. Can anyone even name who he beat for just 1 or 2 of them. And to think he's still thought of as a guy who hasn't won his big fights. It's a racket.

the wba might as well be picking bingo balls from a big spinner to decide the rankings now.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But what's the solution? All 4 belts to unify? Before it was 3. Next it'll be 5, then 6. Then you get fans that sh-t on a guy like Crawford who unified all four but think his record is weak. No one else did it at that time. If it's so easy everyone would do it.

I like the idea of 1 vs 2 to fill a vacant championship. But then you get those that will argue who decides who 1 and 2 are.

I think if the overwhelming majority consider the fight to be between 1 and 2 it should qualify. With the sanctioning bodies creating new titles/ championships and stripping an active champions, unifying all belts (how many could be considered in say 10 years to unify) the belts/ bodies are diluting themselves and their relevance.
    It’s like you said, fringe contenders want belts and are willing to pay the sanctioning fees to be considered a champion. I honestly don’t know what we as fans can do to change it other than not pay attention to belts and just call for the best fights. The fighters have to not want the belts either

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s like you said, fringe contenders want belts and are willing to pay the sanctioning fees to be considered a champion. I honestly don’t know what we as fans can do to change it other than not pay attention to belts and just call for the best fights. The fighters have to not want the belts either
    Yea the best fighting the best.

I remember posting something in one of the WBSS threads, about it catching on and getting some sort of prestige.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information