Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fights that piss you off

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'm sure I'm not the only one that harbours resentment towards some past fights. For me the biggest offender seems to be Trout v Canelo. Trout did more than enough to win but he had lost the fight before it started. It was in Texas, I think the only Trout fans there were his family and Canelo was being groomed for superstardom before he deserved it. The only way Trout could have won that fight is KTFO of Canelo. Trout showed a lot of class before and after the fight.

Floyd v Gurrero as I truly expected the Ghost to get inside, use his uppercut and do some damage. Didn't expect him to win just expected some action instead we got a very boring all Floyd fight.

I can add a number of Wlad and Hopkins fight but I need to say the one that really got me was that damn Trout v Canelo
    Last edited by walrus; 05-13-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fights that piss you off

I thought Canelo won the fight against Trout but it was close.

Most fights in Germany annoy me because they will get awarded to the house fighter.
    Last edited by Master; 05-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angry Re: Fights that piss you off

The trout fight is not one I want to rewatch again but I do remember Canelo knocking down Trout. I do not think there is a conspiracy or controversy in that fight. Canelo is now taking on Lara, he is not avoiding anyone. He is the real deal.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing that annoys me is when a fighter realizes he's losing, knows he's down on the scorecards and can only win by getting a KO, but resigns himself to just trying to survive and finish the fight.

A fight doesn't owe the audience excitement. It's not their fucking problem if the fans think its boring.

What they do owe the fans is a GENUINE effort to win the fight, so it drives me nuts when guys just show up for a payday or know they're losing but just give up and are happy to just finish the fight on their feet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was at the Canelo vs Trout fight and I was cheering for Trout. I thought he had won a close fight. Pac vs Bradley I pissed me off I remember after the 12 telling my brother watch them rob him. And that they did probably more mad at the way Bradley won as if he actually thought he had won it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins v Taylor 1 and Holmes. Still to this day think those were two tko wins there for the taking late and Hopkins dicked around especially in Taylor. He literally assumed his greatness, took it for granted and the look on his face at announce screamed it serves you right.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Most fights in Germany annoy me because they will get awarded to the house fighter.
    Never get the reason for bad mouthing Germany. Other countries are far worse especially the UK. Sturm lost to Solimon and Geale in Germany in close fights where I thought Sturm deserved the nod. Also only got a draw against Murray in a fight I thought he won. Didn't Leapai get the no in Germany against the home
    Town fighter to earn the Wlad fight?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

Never get the reason for bad mouthing Germany. Other countries are far worse especially the UK. Sturm lost to Solimon and Geale in Germany in close fights where I thought Sturm deserved the nod. Also only got a draw against Murray in a fight I thought he won. Didn't Leapai get the no in Germany against the home
    You are right Sturm but that was guilt for his other fights against Macklin. Also a lot of Ottke fights were bad.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, Ottke got Germany a very bad rep. I thought Canelo clearly but closely beat Trout. He landed the cleaner shots. But F Texas, the open scoring forced a counter punching boxer to try a busy approach which of course isn't his game. I also think Hop won both Taylor fights cllose but they turned me off to Hop because he did the exact same thing. Where's the daring to be great? Sweet P upset me too, loved him but how many times do you have to get cheated before you take a chance to prove you're superior?

The fight that will always bug me is Hagler/Leonard because Leonard waited him out. He had dinner with Hagler where Hagler told him his heart wasn't in it anymore with his marital issues and whatnot. He watches a clearly slowing Hagler vs Mugabi and during the fight says "I can beat himm, I'm going to fight him". That directly implies he wouldn't fight him until he faded. But with his glorious career I have to forgive Leonard. I just don't tjink the scores were right. Leonard stole the fight more than he WON the fight. A case of winning the event half assed means he won the fight. Hagler deserved better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When a fighter is apparently ahead on the scorecards in the late rounds against a much more popular favorite, but then decides to go into cruise control/defensive mode, and ultimately blows the fight.

Fighters and trainers should know full well going into a fight that no lead is safe, especially against a favorite, yet they still resort to this absurdity.

Winky Wright had the fight in the bag against Jermaine Taylor, but decided to take the 12th rd off because he felt he had done enough, and it costed him. A draw it was.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    When a fighter is apparently ahead on the scorecards in the late rounds against a much more popular favorite, but then decides to go into cruise control/defensive mode, and ultimately blows the fight.

Fighters and trainers should know full well going into a fight that no lead is safe, especially against a favorite, yet they still resort to this absurdity.

Winky Wright had the fight in the bag against Jermaine Taylor, but decided to take the 12th rd off because he felt he had done enough, and it costed him. A draw it was.
    I scored that narrowly for Winky. But you're right. I often wonder if they're taking their foot of the gas or just gassed or not able to take anymore punishment so they act like they're taking the round off. With how bad judging is you have to win every minute you can.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

You are right Sturm but that was guilt for his other fights against Macklin. Also a lot of Ottke fights were bad.
    Yea Ottke v Reid was a disgrace, but equally bad was Sturm v De la Hoya and Burns v Beltran.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Easy, two Winky bouts. Taylor because I thought he won the bout clearly and fought a great fight and Hopkins because Hopkins fouled the shit of him and physically hurt him with a headbutt that changed the demeanor of the fight. Infuriating.

JLC-Corrales II just felt dirty because you could see JLC had more pop because of the weight. Same fight, but the extra pounds were the difference for Castillo. Any post Morales Zahir Raheem fight. Any time a good fighter loses it overnight against a guy he should beat. Any Wlad fight post the first Sam Peter bout. Christian Mijares getting overwhelmed by Vic Darchinyan. Mijares had legitimate P4P top 5 type potential and got lost in the headlights. It was like he had never seen Darchinyan fight before. I promise you he watched NO tape, and that's pretty ridiculous.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People say that Leonard fought a past it Hagler when they were about the same age i believe. Also how can you avoid some one when they are Mw and your a Ww not to mention the long retirement after the detached retina from the Hearns fight. So basically a WW comes up to Mw after not fighting for years and won the fight. Say what you want but i believe Leonard not fighting for fucking ever and moving from Ww to Mw was pretty fucking against him. Not like Leonard fought against a nobody he fought one of the greatest Mw of all time with no fucking tune up fight how can you be mad at that. Also the fight was close for what ever reason Hagler gave away first half of fight got out boxed. Also i can see Leonard winning some rounds later on to get the decision one of the greatest things i ever saw Leonard won it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Morales/Diaz pissed me off cause Morales had pulled off the win and still got ripped off against a loser, Holyfield/Valuev for the same reasons, Taylor/Hopkins I & II, and Barrera/Khan, or Barrera/Pacquiao II cause he just showed up for the paycheck

Thread Information