Thread: How relevant now is Amir Khan?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How relevant now is Amir Khan?

For the past few years Khan has effectively been looking at the best (most rewarding) path to cash out his career. He spent years chasing Manny and Floyd, when that dried up he went at Alvarez, now he wants to go at Brook. He's got lots of interests outside of boxing and it's probably fair to say his commitment to his craft is not what it once was, yet still people want him, and he wants the dollar.

He hasn't had a proper title in nearly 6 years, he doesn't really do much promotion other than the contracted minimum come fight time, he's no longer the starlet that everyone wants a piece of (£$)

Given that Khan has such a horrendously unreliable chin, the lad hasn't done badly. 31-4, multiple World champion, loads of dosh in the bank, a career littered with good names, most of whom he beat, great value for money in doing so. There's a lot to be pleased with.

We might as well right off the Alvarez fight, he was never going to last. The Prescott loss was a shocker, stiffened to his boots by a jab and then flattened, sickening for some, funny as fuck to others. The other two were debatable for me. The Peterson fight could have gone either way and even in the Garcia loss he was up and ready to fight on, probably would have got horribly knocked out but there you go.

The Garcia one is a weird one for people to wrap their head around. "Khan was pissing on him until he got chinned". Loads of people say that, or words to that affect. The fight lasted three and a bit rounds and Amir spent most of the 3rd getting knocked on his arse and around the ring. How do you piss on someone for 2 rounds? Khan gets a lot of credit for that fight, Garcia not enough. Garcia was hitting the body up when everyone else was busy saying wow look how fast Amir is. "Amir would win a rematch easy" - Course he would.

Is he relevant? In the grand scheme of things no he isnt, but thats kind of voluntary as far as I'm concerned. Ask this question again if he can beat Brook, or beat anyone meaningful.
    Last edited by Memphis; 01-10-2017 at 03:52 AM.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    For the past few years Khan has effectively been looking at the best (most rewarding) path to cash out his career. He spent years chasing Manny and Floyd, when that dried up he went at Alvarez, now he wants to go at Brook. He's got lots of interests outside of boxing and it's probably fair to say his commitment to his craft is not what it once was, yet still people want him, and he wants the dollar.

He hasn't had a proper title in nearly 6 years, he doesn't really do much promotion other than the contracted minimum come fight time, he's no longer the starlet that everyone wants a piece of (£$)

Given that Khan has such a horrendously unreliable chin, the lad hasn't done badly. 31-4, multiple World champion, loads of dosh in the bank, a career littered with good names, most of whom he beat, great value for money in doing so. There's a lot to be pleased with.

We might as well right off the Alvarez fight, he was never going to last. The Prescott loss was a shocker, stiffened to his boots by a jab and then flattened, sickening for some, funny as fuck to others. The other two were debatable for me. The Peterson fight could have gone either way and even in the Garcia loss he was up and ready to fight on, probably would have got horribly knocked out but there you go.

The Garcia one is a weird one for people to wrap their head around. "Khan was pissing on him until he got chinned". Loads of people say that, or words to that affect. The fight lasted three and a bit rounds and Amir spent most of the 3rd getting knocked on his arse and around the ring. How do you piss on someone for 2 rounds? Khan gets a lot of credit for that fight, Garcia not enough. Garcia was hitting the body up when everyone else was busy saying wow look how fast Amir is. "Amir would win a rematch easy" - Course he would.

Is he relevant? In the grand scheme of things no he isnt, but thats kind of voluntary as far as I'm concerned. Ask this question again if he can beat Brook, or beat anyone meaningful.
    This is the answer I was lookin for. @Memphis

I agree with most of what you said. It isn't a question of wins and losses it's a question of his commitment and fans attention to him.

I do not think he is relevant. We must firstly define the meaning of relevance when use in this context. So lets assess

1. Can he be put in with the best in the division and win? I'd say he'd lose again most of them.
    2. Will he step in with the best in the division? No because $$ isn't right.
    3. Does he care about world titles? Not as much as before.
    4. Does he deserve a world title shot vs Brook? No but that's all he wants
    5. Would he ever again attempt to unify his division? No he'd likely vacate for a money fight.
    6. If he retired would it be a shock? No we'd clap and say good career and no one would be shocked.

There are so many little things that just make him irrelevant.

He is a good fighter with a good list of names and world titles but he won't ever be the fighter he once was, one more KO loss and he almost has to retire. The blueprint is there and he knows it, he basically took the Canelo fight knowing he'd get KOd and everyone else knew it. He prostituted his chin out for cash.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 01-10-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan can be put with the best in the welterweight division, he may not win but he does have a slim chance.
    Khan is number 1 contender for Garcia so he can step in with the best in the division plus he wants revenge
    Money matters at this stage for Khan than titles.
    Khan does deserve a world title shot because he has beaten decent welterweights.
    Khan would unify his division as he has in the past with Bradley
    I would be shocked if he retired after the loss to Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    A very harsh thread on Khan. Looking at 147 Id give him a decent chance of beating all of them. Below are fight news rankings with the chance I give Khan of winning

1. Keith Thurman 40%
    2. Kell Brook 33%
    3. Danny Garcia 60%
    4. Timothy Bradley 50%
    5. Jessie Vargas 70%
    6. Shawn Porter 40%
    7. Errol Spence 25%

Considering most of the time these guys fight they are the 90% fav or bigger Id say Khan is very relevant
    @Silkeyjoe

Utter nonsense

So you give him 60% chance of beating Garcia who iced him so obviously 60% isn't enough for Khan.

On that logic you're basically saying he'd lose to the rest as you give them more chance to beat him than Garcia who again, iced him.

So realistically you're saying Vargas is the only person he would beat and that's fair because Vargas is the worst of the list you posted.
    No realistically Im saying hes favorite against Garcia in a rematch and against Vargas, 50/50 against Bradley and slight underdog against the rest.

Believe it or not just because someone beats you once doesnt guarantee they'll beat you again.

Thread Information