Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who has the best nuthuggers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: earnie shavers: the hardest heavyweight puncher ever?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default James Quick Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turns goat piss to gasoline!"

Heavyweight James "Quick" Tillis on Earnie Shavers: "MAN, EARNIE SHAVERS HIT SO HARD HE TURNS GOAT PISS INTO GASOLINE!"

But NO, James Tillis doesnt know what he's talking about, does he @Max Power
    @Dark Lord Al this was too good it needed to be up there among the best quotes on Shavers.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 37 yr old Shavers KO's 32 yr old Joe Bugner - Great Video

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How about an Earnie Shavers sub-forum?

Obviously he warrants such discussion that it is getting continually difficult to wade threads about him in search of threads about obviously lesser contemporary boxers...

How about a Shavers sub-forum so we don't have to wade through the irrelevancy?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: earnie shavers: the hardest heavyweight puncher ever?

Don't know which mod merged all of this spam, but thanks!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Earnie Shavers vs. Steve 'Iceman' Carter ~ March 3, 1971

Wednesday ~ March 3, 1971

Silver Slipper ~ Las Vegas, Nevada

Earnie 'The Razor' Shavers ~ 21-2-0 {21 KO's} ~ 205 lbs.
    vs.
    Steve 'Iceman' Carter ~ 14-2-0 {7 KO's} ~ 199 lbs.

Earnie Shavers {Warren, Ohio} to battle with fast-handed Steve Carter of
    Oakland, California.

The 22 year-old California Heavyweight has 'never' been floored, and brings
    in very good boxing skills {hand-speed and footwork}, to go along with an
    accurate left-jab and right-cross.

'The Iceman' is trained by Dick Saddler, and is a stable-mate of George Foreman.

Steve is also known as a 'chatter-box', and likes to shout at his opponents.

For Earnie, this will be his 3rd-Bout here at the Silver Slipper in Las Vegas.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'The Bout'

Both fighters meet at Center-Ring, and immediately trade blows. 'The Iceman' lands
    '2' fast 'left-right-left' combinations, and ducks under Earnie's bombs.

Both trade again, and Earnie lands a long right-hand to Carter's head. The punch
    stuns Carter, who immediately backs away. Earnie fires in a wide left-hook that
    grazes Steves chin.

Earnie steps in to follow up, but Steve {who is hurt} immediately takes a knee at
    the {0:35 Mark}.

Steve is up at the '3-Count', and is ready to continue. Earnie moves in, as Steve backs
    away at high-speed.

Earnie stalks, and quickly traps Steve along the left-side Ropes. There, Earnie tee's off
    with a barrage, and then lands a 'right-left-right' to the body.

Steve again drops to his right-knee, and takes an '8-Count' at the {1:17 Mark}.

The action resumes at the {1:28 Mark}.

Steve is back on his bicycle as Earnie charges. Earnie is winging bombs from long-range
    as Steve is in 'survival-mode' as he moves along the perimeter of the Ring.

Earnie finally catches Steve with a looping right-hand at the {2:01 Mark}, and Steve tries to
    counter with weak 'left-right' combinations. Earnie walks thru the punches, and slams Steve
    with a jolting straight-hand to the head.

Steve goes down at the {2:11 Mark}.

Referee - Davey Pearl calls the bout over by TKO as the '3-Knockdown Rule' is in effect.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 12-31-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Bill Paxtom (and all the other Shavers fans)

We don't need a new thread to discuss every aspect of Earnie Shavers life. For now, keep the Shavers stuff in this thread otherwise I'll start deleting instead of merging. Thanks.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did Earnie Shavers 'first' get Ranked as a Top 10 Heavyweight ?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    When did Earnie Shavers 'first' get Ranked as a Top 10 Heavyweight ?
    After he smoked "Irish" Pat Duncan. IMO who was ahead of him? Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Norton, Quarry,.........Bugner?........Patterson?......... ..Chuvalo?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Earnie Shavers

Was 'not' Ranked in the Top 10 when he walked into the Ring versus
    #5 Ranked - Jimmy Ellis in June 1973 at Madison Sqare Garden.

He was ranked as the #14 Heavyweight.

Earnie {Age; 27 years, 10 months} had a record of 44-2-0 {43 KO's}.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelo Dundee

"I know Earnie can punch, but just who has he knocked out. Just a bunch of
    his 'cousins' from Ohio."
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 12-31-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ali/Holmes/Lyle all say Shavers was Hardest Puncher

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    LOL...... @Max Power

Are you still arguing against what Ali, Holmes, and Lyle were all quoted as saying??

Give it a rest, bro.

Once again.... pick your battles. When you start saying that three former fighters are full of shit for saying that Shavers was the one who punched them the hardest...... what are you arguing against? This isn't a fan's point of view, or even PhD in punching power. These are the actual recipients of the punches, expressing their own, personal opinion.

Do you play poker? Are you familiar with the old Kenny Rogers song?
    That would be my advice to you.
    I do understand poker. That is why it's ironic for me that you cannot see it's these fighters who are keeping the poker face here.

Fighters talk smack all the time. And the BEST smack talk comes when they are self-glorifying their own wins.

Everybody knows now and knew then that Shavers was a total bum. Except some guys struggled and lost to this bum. None of them are going to claim they struggled with a bum.

OBVIOUSLY they are going to want to pump up their Shavers win because it does justice for their resume. Especially if they all band together on it cause they all fought him.

The problem is, the comments these guys made flies totally in the face of all the evidence.

Cobb was wasted by a guy I never heard of and was never any good anyway.

Holmes was wasted by Tyson so dramatically he probably doesn't even REMEMBER the punch! Yet got up from Shavers to win and even claims to REMEMBER the punch.

Ali also claimed featherfist Karl Mildenberger hit him hardest! And was never even DROPPED by Shavers but was dropped often by many other boxers!

How can Ken Norton's word mean anything when he layed crumpled on the canvas left right and centre by various opponents. He would barely remember what day of the week it was each time!

And on and on!

All of these guys (bar Norton) BEAT Shavers, but suffered stoppages and KO's to other fighters.

They are OBVIOUSLY and BLATANTLY lying, heresay and self-swaggery is exactly what it is!

These kinds of comments are utterly worthless and should play absolutely zero role in Shaver's power assessment.

If you cannot see this, your analytical skills suck!

Wow! So on top of being a boxing expert..... you're a psychology major as well.

Well done! You've uncovered a massive conspiracy between several different fighters to take feather-fisted Shavers and pump him up into a brutal puncher...... all to further their weak and otherwise worthless resumes. Brilliant!

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL...... @Max Power

Are you still arguing against what Ali, Holmes, and Lyle were all quoted as saying??

Give it a rest, bro.

Once again.... pick your battles. When you start saying that three former fighters are full of shit for saying that Shavers was the one who punched them the hardest...... what are you arguing against? This isn't a fan's point of view, or even PhD in punching power. These are the actual recipients of the punches, expressing their own, personal opinion.

Do you play poker? Are you familiar with the old Kenny Rogers song?
    That would be my advice to you.
    I do understand poker. That is why it's ironic for me that you cannot see it's these fighters who are keeping the poker face here.

Fighters talk smack all the time. And the BEST smack talk comes when they are self-glorifying their own wins.

Everybody knows now and knew then that Shavers was a total bum. Except some guys struggled and lost to this bum. None of them are going to claim they struggled with a bum.

OBVIOUSLY they are going to want to pump up their Shavers win because it does justice for their resume. Especially if they all band together on it cause they all fought him.

The problem is, the comments these guys made flies totally in the face of all the evidence.

Cobb was wasted by a guy I never heard of and was never any good anyway.

Holmes was wasted by Tyson so dramatically he probably doesn't even REMEMBER the punch! Yet got up from Shavers to win and even claims to REMEMBER the punch.

Ali also claimed featherfist Karl Mildenberger hit him hardest! And was never even DROPPED by Shavers but was dropped often by many other boxers!

How can Ken Norton's word mean anything when he layed crumpled on the canvas left right and centre by various opponents. He would barely remember what day of the week it was each time!

And on and on!

All of these guys (bar Norton) BEAT Shavers, but suffered stoppages and KO's to other fighters.

They are OBVIOUSLY and BLATANTLY lying, heresay and self-swaggery is exactly what it is!

These kinds of comments are utterly worthless and should play absolutely zero role in Shaver's power assessment.

If you cannot see this, your analytical skills suck!

Well done! You've uncovered a massive conspiracy between several different fighters to take feather-fisted Shavers and pump him up into a brutal puncher...... all to further their weak and otherwise worthless resumes. Brilliant!

good one. he is certainly demented.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Norton/Frazier/Tex Cobb all said Earnie Shavers "hardest puncher"

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    A great quote on Shavers power was by contender James Quick Tillis , he said -

" Man ,Shavers hit so hard he turns goat piss to gasoline " !
    DAMN RIGHT. TILLIS IS RIGHT ON TARGET THERE. THAT IS FUNNY AS SHIT. LOVE IT !!!! LMFAO
    Let's just all do a deal and never speak about Shavers again! He was the flavour of last week now! It's a new year!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't care for this cheek! LOL

I didn't claim Shaver's was a featherfist! He was OBVIOUSLY a puncher, it's all he had going for him.

He was just obviously NOT the hardest puncher Ali faced- Foreman was clearly and obviously the hardest puncher Holmes faced, Tyson was clearly, beyond any doubt.

And Shavers was a total bum.

And yes these fighters ARE covering the asses by making such claims.

These are the facts, I didn't make history, I'm just saying it how it is! If you got a different opinion, good on ya!

I just think he is pathetic and unwatchable.
    Last edited by Max Power; 01-01-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't claim Shaver's was a featherfist! He was OBVIOUSLY a puncher, it's all he had going for him.

He was just obviously NOT the hardest puncher Ali faced- Foreman was clearly and obviously NOT the hardest puncher Holmes faced, Tyson was clearly, beyond any doubt.

These are the facts, I didn't make history, I'm just saying it how it is! If you got a different opinion, good on ya!

maxpower is so young he thinks Foreman fought Holmes!!!!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

He was just obviously NOT the hardest puncher Ali faced- Foreman was clearly and obviously NOT the hardest puncher Holmes faced, Tyson was clearly, beyond any doubt.

maxpower is so young he thinks Foreman fought Holmes!!!!
    Nah I just worded it very badly. I'll try again.

Foreman was CLEARLY the hardest puncher Ali faced
    Tyson was CLEARLY the hardest puncher Holmes faced

That's what I was getting at.

Foreman hospitalised Ali, Shavers couldn't even deck the guy with his best Sunday punch landing flush and the Louisville Lip was running his mouth as usual after the fight.

Tyson dealt Holmes the only canvas KO of his career with such sickening devastation Larry did not even know what day of the fucking week it was. Yet after getting floored by Shavers he was up on his feet in no time resuming an otherwise dominant performance.

I can see a pattern here!

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information