Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Started Supplements

Since I started intensifying my workouts about 4 or 5 months ago, that being running 5 miles 3-4 times a week, those days included with weight training, push ups, crunchs, rope skipping etc, and on the other days at the club for 3 days a week 2 1/2 to 3 hrs workouts including sparring, lots of sparring, and 1 day off for rest, I have had many many aches strains, and pains. A lot of them have been muscle related.

It was suggested to me that I start a supplement program for it might be that given I have next to nothing for fat on my body, that I prob. need it for recovery and it should help in both buiilding muscle and reducing those strains.

Just started yesterday taking a whey protein for recovery and also a liquid multi-vitamin. Both of these claiming to be the best and fastest absorbtion. The protein I am taking 1 scoop 30g during my workout, or right after running leading into weight training, and another scoop about 1 hr. after. I am also taking a liquid multi vitamin twice daily, basically a tbl spoon each time.

Hoping to see the results from it, that being toning without much gain in weight, but also hoping it might reduce this continual strain I seem to be having on muscles.

Others experience or opinions on it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Started Supplements

Whey will help the strain on your muscles.

But with that much cardio, you, like me, will not benefit that much in terms of muscle growth.

Other people who do less cardio and more weights can receive respectable gains from taking just whey, but people who train in ways such as you and I will merely solidify what we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok firstly you should be taking your protein within (ideally) 15 minutes, however up to 45 minutes can be fine although you wont gain as much benefit, after your workout. This is due to the energy in your muscles etc. can't really be bothered going into it now, but do a quick "post workout nutrition" search in google and you will quickly find your answer.

Anyways a great way to improve recovery time and help stay cut is L-Glutamine. The most abundant amino acid in your body, without supplementation or proper diet it can take up to 6 days to get back to the levels of a pre-workout. So what does this mean when you supplement it in your post workout shake... it helps your metabolise protein, helps secrete human growth hormone and stops your muscle from canabolising themself after a cardio workout. Basically one of the best supplements around, it can be slightly expensive however it will last you a long time. A teaspoon in your postworkout shake and you will feel better quicker than ever. I know I am now able to do two workouts a day, which before i was getting sore as hell. If anything i have stepped up training dramatically. Hope this helps buddy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys. Did you factor in Salty that I am taking a mid workout 30 g shake,then follow it with a post workout another 30 g? I will look it up as you suggest. The L-glutamine I will also look up and I have heard and read about creatine. Seeing as this is all new to me, I don't really want to start off with 2 much and will likely stick to just what I have and look for the results, and consider taking it differently maybe.

Ya donnie, not looking to really gain so that is good. I am sitting right at 6' 152lbs now and as is, it is hard as hell for me to get fights at this weight given my age and category. I sure don't want to end up heading into 160 plus. Will be quite happy tho if I can reduce the strain and further tone, slightly build muscle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by thecontender13 View Post
    Thanks guys. Did you factor in Salty that I am taking a mid workout 30 g shake,then follow it with a post workout another 30 g? I will look it up as you suggest. The L-glutamine I will also look up and I have heard and read about creatine. Seeing as this is all new to me, I don't really want to start off with 2 much and will likely stick to just what I have and look for the results, and consider taking it differently maybe.

Ya donnie, not looking to really gain so that is good. I am sitting right at 6' 152lbs now and as is, it is hard as hell for me to get fights at this weight given my age and category. I sure don't want to end up heading into 160 plus. Will be quite happy tho if I can reduce the strain and further tone, slightly build muscle.
    I'm boxing at 154 and 6'1" it wont be any easier for you to get fights because of your height believe me!
    I'm heading down to 147 next year, they'll love me there (I've boxed as high as 16

Box where you feel natural.
    I've dropped weights completely as I ballonn up and down when i do them! Was 166, sitting at 158, going to copmpete next year at 147! Crazy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest theres not much point having a protein shake midway through a workout, simply because that protein will most likely just be used as energy and provide no improved recovery. Plus there are much better methods that your body can gain energy from such as carbohydrates. Maybe rest for a few days let your body feeling right again then push yourself.

What are you eating before a workout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After reading the supplement sticky I went out and bought some protein and glutamine, I take glutamine in the morning and with a protein shake after my body warms down in the gym.
    I have to say it works a treat. I forgot to take my supplements after boxing on friday and playing football (round ball version) for 2 hours on saturday. My body was pretty stiff and my triceps and shoulders were a bit tender. So I noticed the results immediately. DOnt hesitate to take them, they work.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya Salty, I had my boxing workout last night and my trainer agreed with your thinking that I should have a shake closer to right after workout, so I did and will continue to. He's okay with how I am having it during the workout stating the length of our workouts and intensity. As well how little body fat I have. I tend to have a good supper, for eg. yest I had a chicken breast, egg noodle pasta and a large salad and milk approx. 1 1/2 hrs before.

cpcompany, I have already noticed the diff. I think too. it is 6:30 in the morning here and whereas i'd normally be waking up aching and stiff, I feel great and am going to have my run now instead of at night like I usually have done.

Donny, I hear you on boxing match situation! Was supposed to fight in Bay City MI, USA this weekend, and got the call last night at the club the other fighter hurt his wrist or something, and they have no one else for me. Unless I want to cut 10 + lbs then maybe.

Thanks all for the imputs. Hope your day is well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Today is my 1 day off for the week, so wondering if it is pointless to take protein or if I should just take it to be regular with it.

Also, wondering what you guys think of the 1 day off a week from training. Is it important to rest the body and heal to promote strength building? Not necessary?

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes you should have a day off every now and again to promote recovery, this is the perfect time to use L-glutamine as well, due to the fact that it stops the break down of muscle tissue while aiding the repair.

You should just continue your balance diet which you should have in place, but just not have the protein shakes as your diet should cover the neccessary protein that your body requires anyway.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya Salty, I did rest and just laid about. I just find it hard to do now that I have a routine. Feel like I'm being lazy. Am going to look into the L-glutamine this week.

A question for you HitmanDonny, if you see this. You talk of working your weight down to the 147lb class for regular fighting for next year. I am curious about this because our heights and weighs are very similar right now. Wondering what your reasoning in for this. Also if you feel it will be a trade off in power etc. From the charts i've seen that is a bit light for your height.

Basically I don't think I have much say in the matter as to me moving up in weight classes. I would like to be fighting in the 140-147 class but I'm growing fast, grew almost a foot in the last year and 1/2 in height and the weight just comes with it. I am going to try to stay at no more then 155 for a bit, but heck I come from a family of tall people and most say I should prob. be at min. 6'3" quickly, and likely taller. I might have no say but to be fighting in the heavier classes as I get to be 16 yrs + old or so, but for now gonna try to keep as light as possible without giving up power.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya Salty, I did rest and just laid about. I just find it hard to do now that I have a routine. Feel like I'm being lazy. Am going to look into the L-glutamine this week.

A question for you HitmanDonny, if you see this. You talk of working your weight down to the 147lb class for regular fighting for next year. I am curious about this because our heights and weighs are very similar right now. Wondering what your reasoning in for this. Also if you feel it will be a trade off in power etc. From the charts i've seen that is a bit light for your height.

Basically I don't think I have much say in the matter as to me moving up in weight classes. I would like to be fighting in the 140-147 class but I'm growing fast, grew almost a foot in the last year and 1/2 in height and the weight just comes with it. I am going to try to stay at no more then 155 for a bit, but heck I come from a family of tall people and most say I should prob. be at min. 6'3" quickly, and likely taller. I might have no say but to be fighting in the heavier classes as I get to be 16 yrs + old or so, but for now gonna try to keep as light as possible without giving up power.
    I'm European, the custom here is to fight at as low a weight as you are able.
    I'm moving to Senior, there are fighters in this division who's careers are government subsidised and are full time boxers.
    Naturally I'm a Middleweight, maybe even Super Middleweight, so by going down to Welter I have a big height advantage.
    By starting my Senior pursuit at Welter I am supposedly going to gain a fast style, whilst having a natural edge, before moving up to fight guys who are much more mature at my natural weight. It's just an attempt to acclimatise myself to top level competition.

I won't be giving up power or anything. I'm just eating right and adjusting my weight.

In amateur boxing I think power isn't a huge factor. Stoppages come from guys being outclassed and outworked mostly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

okay thx. this is sort of what I figured.

I have 2 coaches I work with specifically. One for technique and the other for training. My training coach said what we are going to strive for is to have me be in the top end weigh wise of the class I am fighting in, trying to maximise the muscle per pound factor. So i think ideally this means now for me to be at 152 or so and no more.

Might be revamping my training he says after my next fight on May 10th, or after the next one on the 31st. Not sure what he has in store, but I guess will find out when I get there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have 2 coaches I work with specifically. One for technique and the other for training. My training coach said what we are going to strive for is to have me be in the top end weigh wise of the class I am fighting in, trying to maximise the muscle per pound factor. So i think ideally this means now for me to be at 152 or so and no more.

Might be revamping my training he says after my next fight on May 10th, or after the next one on the 31st. Not sure what he has in store, but I guess will find out when I get there.
    Well I wish you the best of luck.

I don't really have any trainer, I just show up at the club and train myself

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

Well I wish you the best of luck.

I don't really have any trainer, I just show up at the club and train myself

tnx Donny, and best to you also.

Just lucky with the training deal, new club and lotsa trainers with lots of time and not many fighters. Hope you find a great trainer.

Thread Information