Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default whats next for chris byrd?

www.eastsideboxing.com

25.04.06 - By Geoffrey Ciani: As most observers had suspected, Wladimir Klitschko once again defeated Chris Byrd in dominant fashion. The first time was back in October of 2000 when Klitschko captured the WBO title from Byrd; this time, Wladimir earned himself the more prestigious IBF championship. Many people are viewing this as the end of the road for Chris Byrd. After all, so long as Wladimir Klitschko is around, Byrd stands virtually no chance of becoming the undisputed champion of the world. Or does he?

Well, to be sure, as I had stated in previous articles, Wladimir Klitschko represents a stylistic nightmare for the elusive Chris Byrd. Simply put, Wlad has Byrd’s number, and he proved it once again on Saturday. No matter what Byrd tried and no matter what he did, he simply didn’t have any answers. The ordinarily elusive Byrd was hit with surprising ease by Klitschko. More frightening was the fact that not only did Wlad rarely miss when he committed to his punches, but he rarely didn’t land flush. Indeed, the loud thud of Wladimir’s power could be heard each and every time he struck Byrd’s face.

So is this the end of the line for Chris Byrd?

Frankly, I’m not so sure that it is. Although Byrd’s days are certainly coming near an end, I reckon he can hang around another couple of years and possibly even capture another title in the process. After all, this is professional boxing where anything and everything can happen. And as the old saying goes: Styles make fights!

As things stand now, the heavyweight title is splintered. Wladimir now holds the IBF version of the title, Hasim Rahman the WBC version, and Nicolay Valuev is the WBA’s reigning champion. Also worth mentioning is the WBO title-holder, Serguei Lyakhovich, who looked most impressive in his exciting bout against Lamon Brewster earlier this month. Of the four, I’m of the opinion that Klitschko and Lyakhovich are a cut above the other two, but until some form of unification takes place, no one fighter really has much of a claim over any other.

What does this mean for Chris Byrd? Well, we know it means that he cannot and will not beat Klitschko. Byrd’s style simply doesn’t allow for this. Everything that makes Byrd a great fighter instantly becomes nullified once Byrd steps into a ring opposite of Wladimir. However, this has absolutely no baring on how Byrd would fare against the other three. I actually like his chances against them, in particular, against Rahman and Valuev; Lyakhovich might be another story, as he truly looked like the real deal in his recent win against Brewster. (In case anyone has forgotten, Brewster is the man who stopped Klitschko to capture the WBO title before losing it this month).

Chris Byrd definitely has the talent to continue to make some noise in the heavyweight division. If he can position himself for a fight with either Rahman or Valuev, I believe he has a chance to once again call himself ‘heavyweight champion’. But so long as Wladimir Klitschko holds a belt, the chances of Byrd becoming the main man is an impossibility. The only exception for Byrd would be if someone was able to knock Wladimir out of the picture. Perhaps his cousin Lamon will get another crack at Klitschko. Or maybe, just maybe, Corrie Sanders will be itching for one more fight before definitively calling it a career. Because Sanders poses a stylistic nightmare to Wlad much in the same way Wlad poses one to Byrd.

In any case, it’s too early to count Byrd entirely out yet, despite the devastating loss he suffered against Klitschko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: whats next for chris byrd?

Byrd was a long-dwelling paper champ!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he's smart, retirement is next. Without the movements he once had, he's taking the chance of really getting hurt.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

byrd can stick around for a couple more money fights and then call it a day....byrd can beat valuev and has a shot at beating rahman IMO...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

imo i think he needs a really tough 10 rounder 2 maybe get himself back up there but if he doesn't do that he is screwed

El Kabong Guest

I think Byrd-Toney is a viable option

I still think Oquendo, McCline, and Golota beat him but oh well...he's still a very nice guy and a good figure in the sport

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why not head down to crusier?

he has made his money, and Wlad has proved as the article states that he cant become undisputed champion, he's normally only at 210lb and thats without trying to cut desperatly for a weight. Why not drop down and try and grab another title or two?

He always promotes himself as a little guy whos punching above his weight, and wants us to respect him for trying to mix it with the 250lb guys out there, so why not show us what he can do when 'evenly' matched. He's had a very good run even with his disadvantages at heavy, would be good to see him at the 200lb level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by James
    why not head down to crusier?

he has made his money, and Wlad has proved as the article states that he cant become undisputed champion, he's normally only at 210lb and thats without trying to cut desperatly for a weight. Why not drop down and try and grab another title or two?

He always promotes himself as a little guy whos punching above his weight, and wants us to respect him for trying to mix it with the 250lb guys out there, so why not show us what he can do when 'evenly' matched. He's had a very good run even with his disadvantages at heavy, would be good to see him at the 200lb level.
    B-E-A-Utiful. Well put. Best option I've heard for Byrd yet...& it never even crossed my mind.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

He'd destroy Jirov...and his punching power would be MUCH better there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can still get paydays by being an 'opponent' for up and comers, he's the type of fighter that will keep most of his ability as he gets really old. For now, he could maybe do well against a Bell or Mormeck.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

El Kabong Guest

I think if he could persuede David Haye to come up to heavyweight that would be a good fight to watch, the main thing is that he stays away from the big guys with punching power.

Byrd-Peter wouldn't be all that bad either, it'd be a good test for both, but it's retierment if he loses that fight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I think if he could persuede David Haye to come up to heavyweight that would be a good fight to watch, the main thing is that he stays away from the big guys with punching power.

Byrd-Peter wouldn't be all that bad either, it'd be a good test for both, but it's retierment if he loses that fight
    Haye's got punching power and is moving to heavy weight next year, i imagine he will be at around 230lb when he makes the full transistion. If Haye can sort out his stamina problems he'll be very dangerous. but i aggree with you i'd love to see those two go at it. Cant see it happening though, too dangerous for both men.

El Kabong Guest

How's Haye's chin? If it's decent perhaps a Haye-Sultan fight would be the best help for the division

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

never really been tested - his loss was because he punched himself out.

but he's never even been wobbled in what ive seen, the last guy (Danish bloke i think?) was meant to bring a bit of power but Haye walked through him really.

Haye's talked a lot about Enzo and Nelson and personally i dont see them troubling him, just like Byrd wont be able to, but how he'd take a big heavy weight punch is left unknown.

but if we are looking for a british heavy weight saviour we may have found one... as long as it doesnt go past 6 rounds :P

Thread Information