Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Calderon wants Viloria:YESSSSSS!!!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calderon wants Viloria:YESSSSSS!!!!!!

http://www.fightnews.com/1136.htm

Calderon targets Viloria!

April 26, 2006

World champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon just might be the sweetest boxer in the world today, but at 105 pounds he just might have run out of opponents and is looking to 108 pounds to cement his place in boxing history.

"I would like to unify the title at 105. I want to match my skills with some other champions, but if that's not possible, going after a second world title at 108, later this year is not out of the question for me," said Calderon.

Calderon (25-0, 5 KOs) will be making the tenth world title defense of his WBO 105-pound belt on Saturday night in his hometown of Guaynabo against Miguel Tellez (17-5, 6 KOs) of Managua, Nicaragua in the main event of a DirecTV pay-per-view show that will be available to customers of that satellite network in the United States.

"Calderon is the best pure boxer in the world today, even greater then Mayweather. It's amazing to me that Calderon has accomplished so much without a real big punch," said Bob Arum of Top Rank Inc.

Waiting at 108 is a very interesting opponent for Calderon and that is Brian Viloria, the WBC Mini Flyweight champion and old rival from the amateur days.

"Fighting Viloria would be nice. We fought a few times in the amateurs, he beat me twice, but I beat him to classified to the 2000 Olympics Games and he had to go to another qualifying tournament to get into those same games," recalled Calderon.

Calderon and Viloria where both part of a pay-per-view card as world champions back in February of this year in Las Vegas and got to see for themselves how far they have come along since those amateur days long ago.

"Viloria, still is a strong puncher with fast hands, but he still gets hit a lot. And you know what they say, you can't hit what you can't see," said Calderon.

"We want to make that fight (Calderon-Viloria), because we think is a natural and because we know these guys wanted. This fight Saturday is very important for Calderon, because he will be a step closer to Viloria," said Arum.

Also on the pay-per-view card from Puerto Rico is a very interesting bout between former world champion Cesar Bazan (45-7-1, 29 KOs) of Mexico City who will take on Henry Bruseles (23-3-1, 12 KOs) of Caguas, Puerto Rico and in an IBF bantamweight eliminator Irene Pacheco (31-1, 24 KO's) of Colombia will take on Heriberto Ruiz (34-4-2, 19 KO's) of Mexico.

pEOPLE,this would be an awesome awesome fight!! I think Calderon has the skills to outbox anyone but I don't know how he would carry the weight against the Hawaiian punch!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calderon wants Viloria:YESSSSSS!!!!!!

imo, Calderon may as well just weight to fight Rodel Mayol after he beats Eagle Kyowa(I hope, but will by no means be an easy task)... Mayol vs Calderon would be a great matchup, as would Viloria Calderon, both great boxer puncher vs pure boxer fights..But like you say I dont know how Calderon would handle Vilorias power considering he is the bigger man, he may as well fight Mayol who is also a great fighter with power in his own division... That should tell us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for being the only 1 to respond!! I am looking forward to Mayol v Eagle,seen some of Kwoya and he looks like a banger so should be a good fight but I think Mayol will walk through him and you're right,Mayol Calderon would be a great fight!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well.. it's about freagin' time!!! This Iron Boy needs to desperately step up, SOON!

If he doesn't, after his upcoming fight... then he'll waste his skill on boring azz fights. Hate to say that, but it's the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I take Calderon over everyone at 105 and 108

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'VE SEEN INTERVIEWS WITH cALDERON AND HE seems deadly serious,he wants to fight the best and leave a legacy so I can see him picking it up sooner rather than later!!

Thread Information