Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MMA bigger than Boxing?

June 25, 1976 at Chicago Stadium Andre won by count out over Chuck Wepner. Don't know why I thought it was in a ballpark. It was 30 years ago, and my memory has faded a bit since then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by B@rr3r@
    UFC Bores ME
    Yea try doing it!!!!!! When you box you only have to be concerned with the other fighters hand,when you are in the cage you are worried about the hands,feet,knees,elbows getting taking down and pounded or subbed trust me I do it its not boring!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger J
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    MMA will never be bigger than boxing..when you want to know the answer ask youself who gets paid more? Boxers or mixed martial artist? they should use that skill on the silver screen in hollywood and make way more money....
    I STRONGLY disagree. UFC has established a HUGE fan base over the past year. They're moving on to bigger and more popular venues. UFC Unleashed and the Ultimate Fighter are Spike TV's biggest shows. It's only a matter of time before they start making nearly as much, although, I think boxing should get more, since its a WAY more dangerous sport.

Pride pretty much runs the show in Japan. They just recently had Mark Hunt vs. The Japanese Cruiserweight Champion as the main event to one of their shows. It was insanely good. Boxer vs. MMA striker. They get paid a lot more in Pride than they do in UFC. It's a much better promotion. They have better fighters, and better fights, which is why it's so big in Japan. They rake in huge live audiences, much bigger than UFC.

As for the Silver Screen remark, there already is an actual MMA movie. It's called No Rules. Randy Couture, and Frank Shamrock are in it. Although the acting is terrible, consider it to be the first step to some of the greatest movies of all time.
    I didn't mean try to win the academy award..i'm just saying that they could make some action movies....I like UFC..in fact you could agree that you or I and anybody else on here, must love or like fighting wheter watching it or competing in it...but seriously..mma,K1,ufc, none of it will ever surpass boxing....boxing has too much history behind it...too much of a headstart...it will take something like don king or bob arum to promote one of the fighters and put them on a major boxing undercard or something....other than that it will never generate the kind of money that boxing does...it's seen as bar fighting...not by me or any other real fighting fan...but to the general public and that won't make money

"Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MMA will never be bigger than boxing..when you want to know the answer ask youself who gets paid more? Boxers or mixed martial artist? they should use that skill on the silver screen in hollywood and make way more money....
    I STRONGLY disagree. UFC has established a HUGE fan base over the past year. They're moving on to bigger and more popular venues. UFC Unleashed and the Ultimate Fighter are Spike TV's biggest shows. It's only a matter of time before they start making nearly as much, although, I think boxing should get more, since its a WAY more dangerous sport.

Pride pretty much runs the show in Japan. They just recently had Mark Hunt vs. The Japanese Cruiserweight Champion as the main event to one of their shows. It was insanely good. Boxer vs. MMA striker. They get paid a lot more in Pride than they do in UFC. It's a much better promotion. They have better fighters, and better fights, which is why it's so big in Japan. They rake in huge live audiences, much bigger than UFC.

As for the Silver Screen remark, there already is an actual MMA movie. It's called No Rules. Randy Couture, and Frank Shamrock are in it. Although the acting is terrible, consider it to be the first step to some of the greatest movies of all time.
    I didn't mean try to win the academy award..i'm just saying that they could make some action movies....I like UFC..in fact you could agree that you or I and anybody else on here, must love or like fighting wheter watching it or competing in it...but seriously..mma,K1,ufc, none of it will ever surpass boxing....boxing has too much history behind it...too much of a headstart...it will take something like don king or bob arum to promote one of the fighters and put them on a major boxing undercard or something....other than that it will never generate the kind of money that boxing does...it's seen as bar fighting...not by me or any other real fighting fan...but to the general public and that won't make money

Last I checked, when boxing originated basically from MMA. Back when John L. Sullivan was the champ, and they fought in the fucking woods becuase it was illegal. They were allowed take downs, and submissions. They fought with no gloves. Those who participad were considered brutal and barbaric. Sure people see UFC as streetfighting. And thats exactly what people thought about boxing, until it was legalized and given structure.

I'm not saying boxing doesn't have the greatest history of all sports. It does. But who's to say that 100 years from now that MMA will be looked at the way we look at late 1800's boxing now? Who's to say that Randy Couture wont be considered the James Tunney of MMA 100 years from now?

The world evolves. Sports evolved. There will be no need for boxing. We've evolved into better, and more technical combat sports. I'm not saying the sport of boxing is useless. I love it, equally to how much I love MMA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the sport of boxing much more than MMA, but my friends are much bigger MMA fans. MMA is fairly new to the pop culture world, and its easier to make fights. As the sport ages and becomes more professional, MMA will probably we bigger than boxing.

Ever watch Ultimate Fighter? That crap is huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been thinking about this a lot lately...

Well, my first love is boxing. But let me tell you, MMA is marketed far more effectively, and is run much better.

I cannot even recall the last time I saw a boxer on the front of a cereal box, or advertising some other product on tv here in Canada. In fact I can't remember a time period. On the other hand, MMA fighters are getting some major endorsement deals.

MMA is run more like a league... like a basketball league. The best often collide. Dana White of UFC does a good job in making the best clash in the octagon. There is only ONE title which we all wish was the case in boxing. For the most part, it is run as a class act. I personally haven't seen any disgusting tactics used. In fact, I can't recall seeing an intentional low blow/foul.

I find the refs do an excellent job in MMA, and they have much more to look for.

I have found the judging to be more fare... not so much corruption.

PPV's are usually cheaper, and you get more fights for your dollar... and usually most of the fights are between good talent.

The move on Spike TV was brilliant. Most of my buddies don't have a clue of what is going on in boxing. However... they ALL watch ultimate fighter. And on thursdays there is a ton of UFC on Spike TV.

On Rogers Digital Cable there is a fight network that has some awesome K1, Pride, and Vale Tudo... the boxing they show is complete crap... like most free boxing. To people who turn into that station, they will definitely favour MMA over boxing.

I think the boxing world needs to tune into MMA's tactics... tactics that are based on the flaws of boxing today. Boxing needs to make some new changes. Because the next generation, such as my little brother who is 10 years old, has no reason to like boxing more than MMA.

I think if both entities continue on their current paths, and MMA has some history under its belt... boxing will take a back seat to MMA, or it will be on par with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the big thing is "It's big in Japan". MMA reached it's peak years ago...It' fill with old champions and disrespectful hacks/wannabes. Boxing will never be second to MMA ever, period, end of story.
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    I think the big thing is "It's big in Japan". MMA reached it's peak years ago...It' fill with old champions and disrespectful hacks/wannabes. Boxing will never be second to MMA ever, period, end of story.
    F****** crazy much? How can you say that MMA is filled with hacks and wannabes? Chuck Lidel, Rich Franklin, GSP, Matt Hughes, Wanderlai Silva, Takurama Gomi, and Rampage Jackson are all prime fighters. Put them in a fight against ANY boxer and I guarantee you, the boxer will get murdered.'

Vitor Belfort = Top ten boxer AND Top ten mixed martial artist. He's a prime example of a non-hack/wannabe.

MMA didn't reach it's peak years ago. It's getting bigger and bigger. UFC is holding their next event in the STAPLES CENTER FOR CHRIST SAKE! That's history in the making, my friend.

The combat sport torch has been passed down.

EDIT: Funny thing. Harsh MMA fans accept boxing. However, harsh boxing fans don't accept MMA. Who's more stubborn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    F****** crazy much? How can you say that MMA is filled with hacks and wannabes? Chuck Lidel, Rich Franklin, GSP, Matt Hughes, Wanderlai Silva, Takurama Gomi, and Rampage Jackson are all prime fighters. Put them in a fight against ANY boxer and I guarantee you, the boxer will get murdered.'

Vitor Belfort = Top ten boxer AND Top ten mixed martial artist. He's a prime example of a non-hack/wannabe.

MMA didn't reach it's peak years ago. It's getting bigger and bigger. UFC is holding their next event in the STAPLES CENTER FOR CHRIST SAKE! That's history in the making, my friend.

The combat sport torch has been passed down.

EDIT: Funny thing. Harsh MMA fans accept boxing. However, harsh boxing fans don't accept MMA. Who's more stubborn?
    Of course in the octagon a MMA fighter would beat a boxer...but in the ring Matt hughes, gracie and all the rest of them would get torn to shreds by a boxer...

Also it's much easier to teach a boxer how to counter a few submission holds, and takedowns...

The top MMA fighter could train for ten years a he'd still get torn up in the ring by the whoever the best boxer is in his weight class...period...

And i think somebody said MMa is more tactical...that's not true at all...there's only two styles in MMA, UFC...Striking and Grapling.....if the striker can keep the submission artist away he wins....if the grappler get hold of the striker he usually wins...its a fairly simple strategy...and besides on the street if a boxer hit one of those guys they'd go down...85% of those guys can't take flush punches..esp the heavyweight and they aren't that accurate with there punches....i only watch UFC and MMA to learn new submission holds..other than that I'm at the boxing gym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never said ring or octogan. I said fight. Put them in the middle of a feild with no foreign objects, I guarantee a Mixed Martial Artist would win.

Pride 31 - Mark Hunt - Great MMA striker vs. Yosuke Nishijima - former WBC cruiserweight champion.

Striker vs. Striker.

The result? MARK HUNT BY TKO DUE TO STRIKES!

Vitor Belfort used to be a top ranked boxer, AND a top ranked mixed martial artist AT THE SAME TIME

Joyce Gracie dominated boxers at the first UFC (no holds barred - basically street fighting) using nothing but the art of BJJ

As I said before. For most boxers, it's the only type of fighting they know. Their stance requires their (usually) left leg to be open for a takedown, but in the boxing ring, you don't need to worry about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its just nonsense arguing who would win a street brawl. These are two completley different sports. Somebody on here said that MMA is just big in Japan and is dying out. Well, that is also nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To put it in simpler words, MMA is a more realistic way of fighting, as opposed to boxing, which is why I believe, the majority of the time, and MMArtist will beat a boxer in a brawl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jtrock
    Quote Originally Posted by B@rr3r@
    UFC Bores ME
    Yea try doing it!!!!!! When you box you only have to be concerned with the other fighters hand,when you are in the cage you are worried about the hands,feet,knees,elbows getting taking down and pounded or subbed trust me I do it its not boring!!
    And you'll never become a good cage fighter until you respect boxing.

Watch Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. The man knows how to slip, block, and parry punches.

"you only have to be concerned with the other fighters hand"--Your Quote

Stupid, if you think that's what boxing is about. Learn from boxing, don't diss it, because in the end, Pride, K1, and UFC has borrowed and stolen the platform Professional Boxing has set throughout the 100 plus years boxing has been around.

Hardly any cage fighters know how to box properly and it shows. I have much respect for MMA fighters. You should show respect to Boxing Fighters. You'll learn more from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You don't need to be a boxer to be a good cage fighting.

Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu artist will manhandle any boxer.

JUST ASK BAS RUTTEN

I will say, that the striking today has originated from boxing. However, grappling and striking are two very different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the cage fighters go to boxing gyms to work on their "striking"... and like i said before...if you took Bernard Hopkins and showed him a few takedown counters or submission breakers a task that would be far easier to learn, than teaching a caged fighter how to box....he'd destroy matt huges or gracie in a field....

In order to apply a submission hold you have get close...and if a boxer took a step to the side or back or whatever and delievered a bareknuckle shot the mma fighter would drop....period...

I remeber a few years ago Tank abbot was kicking the shit out of some dude that was supposed to be the best submission guy at the time..and TAnk beat his ass from the outside...until he fell.. then the guy applied the choke hold and won in the last round...

A boxer wouldn't have been out of shape like Tank....and the other guy wouldn't have taken that many shots from a true boxer....that fight would have ended quickly... and last but not least again..MMA will never be bigger than boxing...

Thread Information