Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MMA bigger than Boxing?

Tiger J, ...

Did I ever say you NEED TO BE A BOXER in the MMA? No I didn't.

So post somewhere else where people will listen to your mindless babble.

Re-read my previous post again, then come back with a post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gyrokai: "And you'll never become a good cage fighter until you respect boxing"
    I'm saying you don't need to respect it.

JonesJrMayweather:
    Take down defense and submissions are a lot harder than 1+2=3. You have to learn boxing, Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu. It's doen't limit you to only use two parts of your body.
    The best Brazillian Jiu Jitsu artists aka "The Gracies" have been learning it since they were F****** 4 years old.

Boxing is a sport that has been developed throughout the past hundred years.

MMA only started developing in the early 1990's

Matt Hughes wasn't told when he was five years old that he was going to be the greatest UFC welterweight, simply because IT DIDN'T EXIST WHEN HE WAS THAT AGE

However, Roy Jones had been winning tournaments since he was six.

Give MMA one hundred years to develop, and place their fighters againt one of todays boxers.

Thats the only way it can be considered evenly matched.

In other words, its harder to learn boxing because it had a 100 year head start over MMA

And even with your "less and easier training than boxers," the would STILL rock the shit out of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger J

JonesJrMayweather:
    Take down defense and submissions are a lot harder than 1+2=3. You have to learn boxing, Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu. It's doen't limit you to only use two parts of your body.
    The best Brazillian Jiu Jitsu artists aka "The Gracies" have been learning it since they were F****** 4 years old.

Matt Hughes wasn't told when he was five years old that he was going to be the greatest UFC welterweight, simply because IT DIDN'T EXIST WHEN HE WAS THAT AGE

Give MMA one hundred years to develop, and place their fighters againt one of todays boxers.

In other words, its harder to learn boxing because it had a 100 year head start over MMA
    Alright, I'm a little tired, but now were getting some where...

I wouldn't compare MMA's training with Boxing. Both have different ways of conditioning and levels of difficulty. Boxing's conditioning is much greater though, on the boxing professional championship level. Ken Shamrock even knows that taking blows and lasting 12 long rounds is crazy. Although, there are some MMA fighters with some EXCELLENT conditioning.

But I'll be bold enough to say that most MMA die hard fans disrespect Boxing. And perhaps most die hard Boxing fans disrespect MMA. Fair enough I suppose. But MMA fans sound so much like retards when they disrespect boxing, only because Boxing has so much history and knowledge that MMA fans will never understand. Ever hear the saying Sugar Ray Robinson forgot more about boxing than most current fighters will ever learn? ...

That is how much knowledge is in boxing. MMA has gotten smart over the years and taken from Boxing's respected Sport Professionalism rules. From rounds, to weight classes, to decision score cards, to the weigh-in hype, to ring card girls, to musical entrances of the fighters.

To hear disrespect from an MMA fight fan or fighter will only keep them ignorant about the world of fighting.
    Learn from boxing, don't disrespect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai

JonesJrMayweather:

Alright, I'm a little tired, but now were getting some where...

I wouldn't compare MMA's training with Boxing.  Both have different ways of conditioning and levels of difficulty.  Boxing's conditioning is much greater though, on the boxing professional championship level.  Ken Shamrock even knows that taking blows and lasting 12 long rounds is crazy.  Although, there are some MMA fighters with some EXCELLENT conditioning.

But I'll be bold enough to say that most MMA die hard fans disrespect Boxing.  And perhaps most die hard Boxing fans disrespect MMA.  Fair enough I suppose.  But MMA fans sound so much like retards when they disrespect boxing, only because Boxing has so much history and knowledge that MMA fans will never understand.  Ever hear the saying Sugar Ray Robinson forgot more about boxing than most current fighters will ever learn?  ...

That is how much knowledge is in boxing.  MMA has gotten smart over the years and taken from Boxing's respected Sport Professionalism rules.  From rounds, to weight classes, to decision score cards, to the weigh-in hype, to ring card girls, to musical entrances of the fighters.

To hear disrespect from an MMA fight fan or fighter will only keep them ignorant about the world of fighting.
    Learn from boxing, don't disrespect it.
    I agree with you on most of those aspects. I understand that the skill of boxing used in actual boxing is far more than the boxing skill used in Mixed Martial Arts.

I enjoy sport Jiu Jitsu. I enjoy wrestling. I enjoy boxing. I like MMA because it brings all of that to the table.

I understand that when you're limited to using only two parts of your body to damage your opponent, you must develop more technique.  Therefor there is a lot of knowledge.

MMA divides the knowledge of all aspects equally and combines them into one.

I agree, for every retarded MMA fans may seem retarded, and most boxing fans are knowledgeable. Mainly because a lot of people tend to find it boring, and those who do, know nothing about it.

However, I think, the knowledgeable MMA fans all respect boxing, because boxing is just as essential to MMA as all other aspects.

I truely love MMA and Boxing. Despite what some may think, I used to love boxing more than MMA. I love the sport, and I love the history. I'm even making a boxing music video that I tend to post on this forum. I doubt any of you have seen any of my videos before, but I'm pretty much the best who ever lived. I love boxing, but I love MMA equally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JonesJrMayweather:

And even with your "less and easier training than boxers," the would STILL rock the S*** out of them.
    First don't get me wrong...i love all types of fighting...i trained in taekwondo from age 6 to 18...then starting boxing at 19...so i learn from all types of fighting...but unfortunatley we all die so in a 100years we wont know anyway..so as it is now.. boxing is a much bigger sport and will continue to evolve..MMA will probably get a bigger audience..but if boxing continues to grow how can mma catch up?
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

boxing is going down hill these days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    I think the big thing is "It's big in Japan". MMA reached it's peak years ago...It' fill with old champions and disrespectful hacks/wannabes. Boxing will never be second to MMA ever, period, end of story.
    F****** crazy much? How can you say that MMA is filled with hacks and wannabes? Chuck Lidel, Rich Franklin, GSP, Matt Hughes, Wanderlai Silva, Takurama Gomi, and Rampage Jackson are all prime fighters. Put them in a fight against ANY boxer and I guarantee you, the boxer will get murdered.'

Vitor Belfort = Top ten boxer AND Top ten mixed martial artist. He's a prime example of a non-hack/wannabe.

MMA didn't reach it's peak years ago. It's getting bigger and bigger. UFC is holding their next event in the STAPLES CENTER FOR CHRIST SAKE! That's history in the making, my friend.

The combat sport torch has been passed down.

EDIT: Funny thing. Harsh MMA fans accept boxing. However, harsh boxing fans don't accept MMA. Who's more stubborn?
    What's Belfort's boxing record?

I don't know who's more stubborn, someone coming on a boxing forum to try and promote MMA or the fact that the person can't except that people on a boxing forum probably like boxing better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And even with your "less and easier training than boxers," the would STILL rock the S*** out of them.
    [/quote]

most mma fighters throw the slopest punches and a boxer would see their mistakes, boxers have better hands and foot work and they kill a mma

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Throwing and avoiding punches with 4 oz gloves and with boxing gloves is pretty different. I work out with a combatives instrucotr a couple of times a week. I usually concentrate on BJJ and grappling b/c I enjoy it more, but I also work combos on the mits, the heavy bag, speed bag and sparring. I've come to realize there is a big difference in boxing and striking. It takes more accuracy with 4 oz gloves and its much harder to defend. Plus getting hit flush with a 16oz glove and flush with a 4 oz is night and day. I think these differences is what causes "boxing" fans to view the punching of MMA fights as "sloppy" and having poor technique. I think its also is why "boxing" fans view some MMA fighters as having weak chins. There just isn't nearly as much science in striking as there is in boxing. One or two good flush shots usually spells the end in MMA, where as a boxer gets hit 10-30 times a round. Therefore a boxer needs alot more technique.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    Throwing and avoiding punches with 4 oz gloves and with boxing gloves is pretty different. I work out with a combatives instrucotr a couple of times a week. I usually concentrate on BJJ and grappling b/c I enjoy it more, but I also work combos on the mits, the heavy bag, speed bag and sparring. I've come to realize there is a big difference in boxing and striking. It takes more accuracy with 4 oz gloves and its much harder to defend. Plus getting hit flush with a 16oz glove and flush with a 4 oz is night and day. I think these differences is what causes "boxing" fans to view the punching of MMA fights as "sloppy" and having poor technique. I think its also is why "boxing" fans view some MMA fighters as having weak chins. There just isn't nearly as much science in striking as there is in boxing. One or two good flush shots usually spells the end in MMA, where as a boxer gets hit 10-30 times a round. Therefore a boxer needs alot more technique.

A boxer will be quicker with 4 0z gloves, and they shouldn't have a problem with technique, thats what a speed bag is for. A boxers punch will be more devastating with 40z gloves instead of 16oz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go on a quick vacation and come back to this? Jeeze Louise

Topic 1: Striking vs. Boxing

Boxing = punching

Striking = punching, elbows, kicks, and knees.

No doubt that if you tried to swing with a boxer, you would get knocked out easy. But if you tried striking, it would be different.

Leg kicks in the MMA world look like nothing, however, they're the silent killer. When a person who is trained in the art of Muay Thai kicks you in the leg, it feels like someone took a baseball bat and swung insanely hard at your thigh/knee. Head kicks are the sickest. They're harder than punches (given the person knows how to do them) and knock you out pretty damn good.

As we all know, defense is a huge part of boxing and MMA. A boxer's defense is solely to protect from punches, which is why I believe a boxer would get KO'd by a leg kick.

Another point I'd like to make is clinching. In boxing, if you clinch up, you get seperated. In MMA, it's somewhat encouraged. It's a good setup to Thai Clinch Knees, elbows, as well as a good position for a takedown.

Those are reasons why I believe MMArtists could stand up with a boxer. If the MMArtist would take them down, the boxer would be finished.

I think that it would be easier for a MMArtist to learn boxing, than for a boxer to learn MMA

Topic 2: The whole evolution thing I was talking about

I'm not really sure what I was getting at when I said that. However, I think for the past few years, boxing has been halted. Theres no "Great" boxers anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty damned good ones. PBF, JT, etc. But theres no Tyson (prime), Ali, Leonard, or Hagler. All the cutting edge ones, like Jones, De La Hoya and Evander aren't what they used to be. It seems to be heading in a downward spiral, which is why I implied that it wasn't evolving as it had before.

Topic 3: Myself (basically referring to the remark made by TheMasterPiece)

I'm sure some of you are getting the impression that I'm trying to promote MMA over boxing. Although it may sound that way, it's not my intentions. I was hoping for a discussion between MMA and boxing, but some of you are taking it a lot harder than anything on the internet should be taken. I would have posted this in the MMA section, however, due to the relevancy of BOXING in the initial topic, and the fact that it would have been majorly underlooked, I posted it in the boxing section, where it would get some good feedback.

"person can't except that people on a boxing forum probably like boxing better."
    I was looking for people to disagree with me when I started this topic. What the hell is the point of a discussion when you're just going to be nodding with eachother? When someone says something to you that you disagree with, you voice your opinion on the matter. Isn't the reason of having a forum for people to discuss and voice opinions?

I never once said I liked MMA more than boxing. Perhaps I felt that if I can accept the two on equal levels, others should be able to as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tried watching this UFC stuff, too much rolling around on the floor for my liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive watched alot of UFC over the last year and more.
    Unless fighters are going toe to toe with punches it is complete boring crap.

I heard about this Matt Hughes guy and when i watched him like alot of them they roll around the ground like gay boys

too boring for me

if MMA fans want to argue their case they are on the wrong website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go on a quick vacation and come back to this? Jeeze Louise

Topic 1: Striking vs. Boxing

Boxing = punching

Striking = punching, elbows, kicks, and knees.

No doubt that if you tried to swing with a boxer, you would get knocked out easy. But if you tried striking, it would be different.

Leg kicks in the MMA world look like nothing, however, they're the silent killer. When a person who is trained in the art of Muay Thai kicks you in the leg, it feels like someone took a baseball bat and swung insanely hard at your thigh/knee. Head kicks are the sickest. They're harder than punches (given the person knows how to do them) and knock you out pretty damn good.

As we all know, defense is a huge part of boxing and MMA. A boxer's defense is solely to protect from punches, which is why I believe a boxer would get KO'd by a leg kick.

Another point I'd like to make is clinching. In boxing, if you clinch up, you get seperated. In MMA, it's somewhat encouraged. It's a good setup to Thai Clinch Knees, elbows, as well as a good position for a takedown.

Those are reasons why I believe MMArtists could stand up with a boxer. If the MMArtist would take them down, the boxer would be finished.

I think that it would be easier for a MMArtist to learn boxing, than for a boxer to learn MMA

Topic 2: The whole evolution thing I was talking about

I'm not really sure what I was getting at when I said that. However, I think for the past few years, boxing has been halted. Theres no "Great" boxers anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty damned good ones. PBF, JT, etc. But theres no Tyson (prime), Ali, Leonard, or Hagler. All the cutting edge ones, like Jones, De La Hoya and Evander aren't what they used to be. It seems to be heading in a downward spiral, which is why I implied that it wasn't evolving as it had before.

Topic 3: Myself (basically referring to the remark made by TheMasterPiece)

I'm sure some of you are getting the impression that I'm trying to promote MMA over boxing. Although it may sound that way, it's not my intentions. I was hoping for a discussion between MMA and boxing, but some of you are taking it a lot harder than anything on the internet should be taken. I would have posted this in the MMA section, however, due to the relevancy of BOXING in the initial topic, and the fact that it would have been majorly underlooked, I posted it in the boxing section, where it would get some good feedback.

"person can't except that people on a boxing forum probably like boxing better."
    I was looking for people to disagree with me when I started this topic. What the hell is the point of a discussion when you're just going to be nodding with eachother? When someone says something to you that you disagree with, you voice your opinion on the matter. Isn't the reason of having a forum for people to discuss and voice opinions?

I never once said I liked MMA more than boxing. Perhaps I felt that if I can accept the two on equal levels, others should be able to as well.
    Look back at your posts, after a while your intentions came out and you were flat out promoting it.

I still want to kno Belfort's boxing record and how he's in the top 10.

Also, I would like to say that there are plenty of great boxers around today. They just aren't as popular because of the poliTICS in boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have NEVER been an MMA,UFC PRIDE etc fan and never will,does not last long enough and all they ever seem to do is roll around BUT I do like how there is a combination of various style rolled into 1 sport. For sheer entertainment value,I'dd think boxing would win right guys?

Thread Information